Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sorry, I typed it all out, submitted, the figured some would think I was fussing them out again, so deleted, so some are probably wondering what the heck you're talking about--wow, you're a fast reader, LOL!

I am wondering just how I missed so much in the time it took to go on a short horse ride?<BG>

Thanks Scott

Quote:
Will need to be a whole foot? Was thinking of just a few inches myself, but have started yet.

Thanks Scott

Better safe than sorry. I was thinking myself of doing the same only 2+ feet down for some of the tree roots. For Bermuda grass and whatever that ropy grass is that I never saw till this year, I'd for sure give it a foot. Not that much harder to dig 12 inches than 4.

I hope it's not that ropy stuff I've been dealing with. Doesn't grow like bermuda grass except that it's on a runner, but it's one great huge runner, not a lot of little ones. Horrible stuff and very adapted to dry hot weather, it is.

Quote:
Will need to be a whole foot? Was thinking of just a few inches myself, but have started yet.

Thanks Scott

Better safe than sorry. I was thinking myself of doing the same only 2+ feet down for some of the tree roots. For Bermuda grass and whatever that ropy grass is that I never saw till this year, I'd for sure give it a foot. Not that much harder to dig 12 inches than 4.

I hope it's not that ropy stuff I've been dealing with. Doesn't grow like bermuda grass except that it's on a runner, but it's one great huge runner, not a lot of little ones. Horrible stuff and very adapted to dry hot weather, it is.

There are two kinds of herbicides ones that attack leafy plants and ones that attack grassy plants. Both are systemic.... Absorbed through the leaves and roots. Be careful using them but the one for grasses should work on Devil grass. Its been thirty years since I worked in the garden shop so I dont even know if the herbacides are available. Did a little digging and here is an excellent article....

http://www.rowanmastergardener.com/...mns/gardencolumns01/bermuda grass control.htm

round up does work but you have to kill it all even the grass you want to keep. And even if you get rid of it on your property you cant kill the neighbors....

You know we have devil grass here but all we do is make sure the rest of the lawn is healthy and robust. I am a minimalist with regard to the use of chemicals.... I wont even kill ants and spiders on a whole scale.... Just enough to keep the house clean.

signing off for a while its Christmas you know..... LOL.

perchie.girl :

There are two kinds of herbicides ones that attack leafy plants and ones that attack grassy plants. Both are systemic.... Absorbed through the leaves and roots. Be careful using them but the one for grasses should work on Devil grass. Its been thirty years since I worked in the garden shop so I dont even know if the herbacides are available. Did a little digging and here is an excellent article....

http://www.rowanmastergardener.com/...mns/gardencolumns01/bermuda grass control.htm

round up does work but you have to kill it all even the grass you want to keep. And even if you get rid of it on your property you cant kill the neighbors....

You know we have devil grass here but all we do is make sure the rest of the lawn is healthy and robust. I am a minimalist with regard to the use of chemicals.... I wont even kill ants and spiders on a whole scale.... Just enough to keep the house clean.

signing off for a while its Christmas you know..... LOL.

Thanks for that link, it says alot about the writers feelings about 'that' grass! Have a Very Good and Merry Christmas.​

I live in Reno,NV. and I'm going to be getting some white egg layers and would like the opinions of the OTs. Of the several breeds available which, in your humble opinion, would be the best choice for egg production? I'm considering California Whites, Pearl Whites, Ideal 236 pullets or straight Leghorn. If any OT has a better suited breed, I'm open for suggestion. Also, do all sex-links produce brown eggs only, or do any produce white eggs.
idunno.gif

AJ, I do not have any idea of what would be best for your area. I would suggest you read the description in the chicken catalog or call the hatchery and ask them..

what is the matter with brown eggs ?

For white layers, I like Jaerhons(small thrifty bird, very cold hardy, early maturing), Minorca(big bird, big egg), Ancona(very hardy, early maturing) and Leghorns, I had whites long ago but have Black Leghorns now, one goes broody.
I've never had them but Hamburgs are supposed to be very productive white egg layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom