Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your right Bee and a good analogy at that, pointing out where your faults are and attacking them head on has it's perks. Truth be told Bee most backyarders are just plain lazy, they like having their birds, they like everything that the fun part of what having birds brings, but putting in the sweat along with a tad bit of smarts isn't a backyarders best trait. If it were we wouldn't be reading 10's of thousands of off the wall post, WTS said sure there is a learning curve and learning or paying attention to those who have figured out should be the first thing you look at not the last ditch effort. Learn the basics first, see if it's your cup of tea, then grow step by step, safe easy and with confidence.

Quote:
Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

The sun came out this afternoon, and warmed us up to 40 on our first truly cold day of the year (18 last night). My girls haven't slowed down on foraging one iota, since we still have quite a bit of green. Here are two of my girls who have been laying very consistently through the dark days.

This gal lays a large blue egg about every other day. It's very rare for her to go two days in a row without laying.

This one is about the same, only her eggs are brown and a little bigger. I bought her from a private individual who didn't know squat. I've always assumed she's a RSL, but she's much lighter colored than my earlier RSLs and quite a bit chunkier. She's been a consistent layer and good forager, but she's very defensive of her position in the pecking order.

THIS! This is what I've been preaching for years! If you truly want birds that are hardy to "your climate", you cannot then take said birds to your climate and supplement them with heat, fans, misters, Pampers, Christmas lights or any other geegaws. A chicken will be a chicken in just about any climate and those who can't cut it, get cut from the roster or die. What you will have left are the true, cold hardy or heat hardy chickens and it hasn't got much to do with comb size at that point.

I see a pattern and I don't call that luck...I call it someone who is seeking knowledge instead of banging their head against the wall or waiting for it to fall out of the sky. The people who seek are more likely to "get lucky" in finding it, IME. I call that success.

I get a little peeved when people say that it's risky to free range because they opened the coop door one day to let their babies out to "play" and a hawk or fox got them. That was the extent of their efforts to free range but they will write post after post about how impossible it is to do it without losses, how irresponsible people are who do it, how much more they love their chickens than people who risk their chickens on free range.

If I tell them that I have been free ranging flocks off and on for 36 years and only lost one bird~not while free ranging~while roosting at night in the barn loft, their response? "You have just been lucky."
he.gif

Sure, if getting breeds that are known for flighty wariness, putting them out with older birds on free range at 2 wks of age, culling for those who do not flock well or respond well to danger calls, having one to two dogs out in the range 24/7, having perimeter fencing, killing strays before they become a problem, providing hawk shelter in several places in the range and never feeding or watering the flocks outside could be called getting lucky.

Calling someone who trains for the Olympics for 4 years ~and wins~ "lucky", is an insult. I've been training my flocks for years upon years...yeah, calling me lucky is an insult. I call it success.

Bee, could I get some clarification? Not feeding or watering outside, is it because it attracts predators and/or chickens are less vigilant with heads stuck in the food trough?

Bee, could I get some clarification? Not feeding or watering outside, is it because it attracts predators and/or chickens are less vigilant with heads stuck in the food trough?

Both. Hawks and owls are not as stupid as chickens..at least the really successful ones aren't. They learn patterns very well. If they have staked out your chickens as possible prey, they don't just dive bomb as they fly by to another place. They will often sit in a tree from afar and watch. They might even do this for days. The wheels are turning and they are learning when your chickens are at their most vulnerable. They may even have picked a certain chicken that is always separate from the flock, or smaller than the rest, or doesn't respond as quickly when the rooster calls an alarm.

When you feed them outside and most folks feed at a certain time of the day..morning, evening, or both. This is when the chickens are the most distracted, the rooster has his head down in that feed pan if he's not a good one, and there is much jostling for position. Not so much with looking at the sky.

Both. Hawks and owls are not as stupid as chickens..at least the really successful ones aren't. They learn patterns very well. If they have staked out your chickens as possible prey, they don't just dive bomb as they fly by to another place. They will often sit in a tree from afar and watch. They might even do this for days. The wheels are turning and they are learning when your chickens are at their most vulnerable. They may even have picked a certain chicken that is always separate from the flock, or smaller than the rest, or doesn't respond as quickly when the rooster calls an alarm.

When you feed them outside and most folks feed at a certain time of the day..morning, evening, or both. This is when the chickens are the most distracted, the rooster has his head down in that feed pan if he's not a good one, and there is much jostling for position. Not so much with looking at the sky.

Ah I see, thank you. My flock sort of free feeds so there isn't a predictable crowd at any one time, unless you count the sparrows, lol

Here is an update on my flock...from my posts several weeks ago......several told me to keep ya'll posted on the progress.
I was beginning to sweat bullets when the number of deaths just kept rising. And several comments from the OTs and others about dust and MG were helpful.
We have had such dry heat here and now strange humidity with raging winds and now extreme 17 degree cold that will bounce back to the 60s this week.
There were just too many questions and possibilities and the treatment programs were so diverse. I have all the mycin meds available but hate to use them for the wrong infection/virus/disease because they can work against you with the development of resistence among the germ world.

So I took a chilled dead bird with no symptoms and a live bird with the respiratory crud symptoms to the vet for testing early last week. I also took a sparrow that was trapped in the sparrow trap.

The vet delivered the dead bird and the live sparrow to the vet school at OSU and took blood samples and swabs from the live chicken. He also advised me to keep up with the Tylan 50 shots and to feed 18% medicated hog starter with Oxytetracycline. He also suggested soluable tetracycline in the waterers mixed fresh each day for 7 days or until we got the tests results back.

I had lost 30 birds by that time and was getting more and more frustrated. There seemed to be two things going on at the same time. Some birds were dying with not smptoms presenting...fine the evening before and dead the next morning. Others were dying with symptoms of sneezing, watery eyes and sometimes a crud round the nostrils. A few did not have the crud, but would breath by lifting their heads. The losses ranged from 6 week old chicks to 4 year old hens.

While waiting for the results, I chose to take extra steps. During a nice day, I cleared out the coop and run to another pen and I removed all the deep litter in the hen house and all the floor covering in the brooder room (concrete floor with wood shavings). All the nest boxes, feeders and waterers, and wall cages were taken outside and throughly cleaned and sunned. I used a shop vac in the two sections and then I sprayed down all the ceilings, rafters, walls, nooks and crannies as well as the floors with a 20% bleach solution. When dry, I brought back in the nest boxes and wall cages and used new wood shavings in the brooder room and wood shavings and oak leaves in the hen house.
Then I checked every bird and treated with ivomec if they had any sign of mites just to be on the safe side.

The entire flock has been on the hog starter and the tetracycline. Since this past Saturday, I have found no birds that have any sign of the crud or sneezing...and most importantly have lost no more birds.

Tests and necropsy show that the flock was affected by two strains within the Respiratory Disease Complex and one in the Respiratory Adenovirus Infection category...I copied both categories below.
Ruled out were both Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synovaie and Fowl Typhoid...Thank God!

So...we are still giving antibiotics and making every effort to keep the coop and pens clear of wild birds and working on a better water method to boost sanitation. The flocks are getting homemade yogurt, cottage cheese daily and the med hog pellets for the rest of this week. Then they will get layer pellets mixed 1/2 to 1/2 with the med feed for another week.

I never smelled ammonia or foul odors in the enclosures and using deep litter and ag lime. I thought I was doing the right things. I was filling 7 gallon and 5 gallon waterers with fresh water and then rinsing out the trays each morning as the girls have a tendance to scratch up leaf litter into those trays.

Hubby mentioned today that he thinks we need a new building away from the barn with a wooden structure instead of the tin roofed barn and new runs. I really think he wants my two 11 x 12 spaces.. my hen house and my brooder room.
But, I can wish....

This web page is where I copied the information. The vet gave me this link when he gave me the test results:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/91/respiratory-adenovirus-infection-mild-respiratory-disease
Respiratory Disease Complex

Introduction

Respiratory infections in chicken and turkeys are seen worldwide but especially in temperate poultry-producing areas in winter months. A number of respiratory viruses (Infectious Bronchitis, Avian pneumovirus, Lentogenic Newcastle disease virus, vaccinal and field strains) and bacteria (Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale, E. coli) may be involved. Dust, ammonia and other gases, and other factors associated with poor ventilation, may act as predisposing factors. Morbidity is typically 10-20%, mortality 5- 10%. If condemned birds are included mortality may be more than 10%.
Signs

• Snick.
  • Sneezing.
  • Head swelling.
  • Conjunctivitis.
  • Nasal exudate.
  • Rattling noises.

Post-mortem lesions

• Severe tracheitis with variable exudate - catarrhal to purulent.
  • Airsacculitis.
  • Pericarditis.
Diagnosis

Lesions, serology, response to environmental changes. Differentiate from Chronic Respiratory Disease (Mycoplasmosis). Given that many flocks are vaccinated it is necessary to establish normal serological response in vaccinated flocks in the absence of disease (some of which may, of course, be challenged by some of these pathogens).
Treatment

Antimicrobial treatment of specific bacterial infections.
Prevention

Effective ventilation, sanitation of drinking water, carefully applied appropriate viral vaccines.

Respiratory Adenovirus Infection, 'Mild Respiratory Disease'

Introduction

An adenovirus infection of chickens with a morbidity of 1-10% and a mortality of 1-10%; at least 12 sero-types have been described and these may be isolated from healthy chickens. Infected birds may remain carriers for a few weeks. Transmission may be vertical and lateral, and by fomites. The virus is generally resistant to disinfectants (ether, chloroform, pH), temperature, formaldehyde and iodides work better. Opinions vary as to whether adenovirus can be characterised as a primary respiratory pathogen. It may occur as an exacerbating factor in other types of respiratory disease.
Signs

• Mild snick and cough without mortality.
Post-mortem lesions

• Mild catarrhal tracheitis.
Diagnosis

History, lesions, intranuclear inclusions in liver. The virus grows well in tissue culture (CE kidney, CE liver).
Treatment

None.
Prevention

Quarantine and good sanitary precautions, prevention of immunosuppression

Here is an update on my flock...from my posts several weeks ago......several told me to keep ya'll posted on the progress.
I was beginning to sweat bullets when the number of deaths just kept rising. And several comments from the OTs and others about dust and MG were helpful.
We have had such dry heat here and now strange humidity with raging winds and now extreme 17 degree cold that will bounce back to the 60s this week.
There were just too many questions and possibilities and the treatment programs were so diverse. I have all the mycin meds available but hate to use them for the wrong infection/virus/disease because they can work against you with the development of resistence among the germ world.

So I took a chilled dead bird with no symptoms and a live bird with the respiratory crud symptoms to the vet for testing early last week. I also took a sparrow that was trapped in the sparrow trap.

The vet delivered the dead bird and the live sparrow to the vet school at OSU and took blood samples and swabs from the live chicken. He also advised me to keep up with the Tylan 50 shots and to feed 18% medicated hog starter with Oxytetracycline. He also suggested soluable tetracycline in the waterers mixed fresh each day for 7 days or until we got the tests results back.

I had lost 30 birds by that time and was getting more and more frustrated. There seemed to be two things going on at the same time. Some birds were dying with not smptoms presenting...fine the evening before and dead the next morning. Others were dying with symptoms of sneezing, watery eyes and sometimes a crud round the nostrils. A few did not have the crud, but would breath by lifting their heads. The losses ranged from 6 week old chicks to 4 year old hens.

While waiting for the results, I chose to take extra steps. During a nice day, I cleared out the coop and run to another pen and I removed all the deep litter in the hen house and all the floor covering in the brooder room (concrete floor with wood shavings). All the nest boxes, feeders and waterers, and wall cages were taken outside and throughly cleaned and sunned. I used a shop vac in the two sections and then I sprayed down all the ceilings, rafters, walls, nooks and crannies as well as the floors with a 20% bleach solution. When dry, I brought back in the nest boxes and wall cages and used new wood shavings in the brooder room and wood shavings and oak leaves in the hen house.
Then I checked every bird and treated with ivomec if they had any sign of mites just to be on the safe side.

The entire flock has been on the hog starter and the tetracycline. Since this past Saturday, I have found no birds that have any sign of the crud or sneezing...and most importantly have lost no more birds.

Tests and necropsy show that the flock was affected by two strains within the Respiratory Disease Complex and one in the Respiratory Adenovirus Infection category...I copied both categories below.
Ruled out were both Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synovaie and Fowl Typhoid...Thank God!

So...we are still giving antibiotics and making every effort to keep the coop and pens clear of wild birds and working on a better water method to boost sanitation. The flocks are getting homemade yogurt, cottage cheese daily and the med hog pellets for the rest of this week. Then they will get layer pellets mixed 1/2 to 1/2 with the med feed for another week.

I never smelled ammonia or foul odors in the enclosures and using deep litter and ag lime. I thought I was doing the right things. I was filling 7 gallon and 5 gallon waterers with fresh water and then rinsing out the trays each morning as the girls have a tendance to scratch up leaf litter into those trays.

Hubby mentioned today that he thinks we need a new building away from the barn with a wooden structure instead of the tin roofed barn and new runs. I really think he wants my two 11 x 12 spaces.. my hen house and my brooder room.
But, I can wish....
This web page is where I copied the information. The vet gave me this link when he gave me the test results:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/91/respiratory-adenovirus-infection-mild-respiratory-disease
Respiratory Disease Complex

Introduction

Respiratory infections in chicken and turkeys are seen worldwide but especially in temperate poultry-producing areas in winter months. A number of respiratory viruses (Infectious Bronchitis, Avian pneumovirus, Lentogenic Newcastle disease virus, vaccinal and field strains) and bacteria (Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale, E. coli) may be involved. Dust, ammonia and other gases, and other factors associated with poor ventilation, may act as predisposing factors. Morbidity is typically 10-20%, mortality 5- 10%. If condemned birds are included mortality may be more than 10%.
Signs

• Snick.
  • Sneezing.
  • Head swelling.
  • Conjunctivitis.
  • Nasal exudate.
  • Rattling noises.

Post-mortem lesions

• Severe tracheitis with variable exudate - catarrhal to purulent.
  • Airsacculitis.
  • Pericarditis.
Diagnosis

Lesions, serology, response to environmental changes. Differentiate from Chronic Respiratory Disease (Mycoplasmosis). Given that many flocks are vaccinated it is necessary to establish normal serological response in vaccinated flocks in the absence of disease (some of which may, of course, be challenged by some of these pathogens).
Treatment

Antimicrobial treatment of specific bacterial infections.
Prevention

Effective ventilation, sanitation of drinking water, carefully applied appropriate viral vaccines.

Respiratory Adenovirus Infection, 'Mild Respiratory Disease'

Introduction

An adenovirus infection of chickens with a morbidity of 1-10% and a mortality of 1-10%; at least 12 sero-types have been described and these may be isolated from healthy chickens. Infected birds may remain carriers for a few weeks. Transmission may be vertical and lateral, and by fomites. The virus is generally resistant to disinfectants (ether, chloroform, pH), temperature, formaldehyde and iodides work better. Opinions vary as to whether adenovirus can be characterised as a primary respiratory pathogen. It may occur as an exacerbating factor in other types of respiratory disease.
Signs

• Mild snick and cough without mortality.
Post-mortem lesions

• Mild catarrhal tracheitis.
Diagnosis

History, lesions, intranuclear inclusions in liver. The virus grows well in tissue culture (CE kidney, CE liver).
Treatment

None.
Prevention

Quarantine and good sanitary precautions, prevention of immunosuppression

Wow. Glad to hear from you and glad you have been able to stop the dying. Also glad you seem okay after all of this.
This past spring my son had a dry cough and a fever. He has childhood Asthma so I attack with all canons whenever he gets sick. He has had pneumonia 7 times since he was born. I took him to the Doctor right away after nebulizing him and all that jazz. My daughter went with us. This was on a monday after school. My daughter had red eyes, was tired and kept saying her body hurt. She sat with us in the office while Henry's O2 was checked and I kept them both home the next day. I gave Henry Tylenol, warm steam baths, jello anything he wanted the whoel week. Nebulized him on an on and off 2 hour schedule with 2 kinds of meds. Worried and prayed he would not get pneumonia again etc. The whole time I so thought Nina just wanted attention. She stayed in the bed next to Henry, she dozed and she ate well. She hardly even complained and I let her stay home because I am sometimes a softy and she said she didnt feel right. So Thursday we went back to the Doctor. Nina's eyes are still red, (the appt is for Henry). red eyes are her only outstanding symptom. Henry has kicked his fever and is maintaining his O2 levels and getting well. The doctor is satisfied he is over the worst of it. As the visit is drawing to an end the doctor looks at my daughter....says how long have your eyes been red? Nina tells her, all week. The doctor says- you have the Adeno virus. The Doctor stared at her for what seemed like a long time and then looked at me and said, if I had suspected I would have given her an immunity boost shot on Monday but now she looks like she is over the worst of it and will befine by the weekend. My sister's kid was nearly hospitalized with Adeno, convulsed lethargy passed out -the trauma went on for a week. I didnt even realize Nina was really sick. She still talks about the time mommy thought Henry was the sickest but she was really the sickest one. lol. Anyway, I kinda think that your remaining chickens are like Nina. They were gonna make it through anyway. The ones that died werent as hardy. So to me your remaining birds are more valuable for making it through the natural cull. I'm glad for you that the ordeal is over or at least the worst is behind you. -L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom