Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this question once and got the response '...post pictures...'; so I'll try again here....

When trying to determine the age of a hen, what do you look for? Is there any way to know if what I'm looking at is a 1 year old or a 4 year old?

I did read the post(s) regarding vent checking, but also read the part about that being a crap shoot sometimes.
smile.png

I don't know that I ever tried to determine the relative age of a chicken and I think it would be a difficult thing to do...I generally know how old all mine are if I raise them myself and chickens I get from other sources I just take on faith. Not a good method, I'm sure.

My grandma seemed to be able to tell by the bird's general appearance of scales and body/feathers/skin...she seemed to be able to determine an old hen as opposed to a new hen.

I'm up for this kind of info too....any of you OTs have any foolproof ways of knowing the age of a hen, other than an obvious new pullet, of course.

Just read every post in this thread. Just great! Before long I will know what I am doing...

thank you.

Jon

Quote:
my Dad could alway tell the true age of all his chicken.....everyone.

. WING BANDS and Good record keeping.........
lol.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I'm with Deerman, keep records! lol

Chickens have been in my family for generations. This is the poultry house my grandfather and mom raised chicken used back in the 40s. They hatched, grew them out, plus eggs and sold them to restaurants along the train line. So as I am an old hen I know alittle about chicken raising!
wink.png

000_0269.jpg

Got me there. Guess I had in mind just any old chicken, anywhere, like something somebody would give you, or something one might purchase. I keep my fowl wingbanded also and records, too. Just can`t seem to get the knack of telling the age of a bird that isn`t mine. LOL......Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom