Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
They DO get points for having a sweet mellow temperament
smile.png
Unfortunately that does not equate to more or better eggs....

Quote:
They DO get points for having a sweet mellow temperament
smile.png
Unfortunately that does not equate to more or better eggs....

Mine are mean but not aggressive they are on the bottom of the pecking order...

I have wild "game type" hens that I use for hatching. They are the best broodies and mothers. They seem to have some ameraucana in them, a lot of game, they run wild in our area, (see feral chickens) and I found some chicks a while back and kept them, and boy are they the best broodies and mamas! They also are very independent, excellent foragers and pretty smart compared to other chickens. Sometimes I have chicks or eggs of those, am willing to share for the cost of shipping when I do.

Quote:
Thank you sooooo much about the worming part! I have asked friends if they worm their chickens and most say no but I read it is a must. So I will take the advice from old timers any day. I'm new to this but the books definitely have a lot f hoops you must jump through or death is imminent for your chickens lol.

It's just not that complicated...you hold the jug over the water dish and put in a glug or so...if your chickens won't drink the water very well, use a little less next time.

Quote:
I need one of those. My Mediterrean breed chickens are so hard to catch unless it's nighttime. I've seen them before and just keep forgetting to get one.

I made my own. Didn't know you could buy one anyway at the time. I remembered my Grandma's hook and built mine from memory. I just took a 5 foot steel rod from the scrap heap and put the end in a vice. I heated the section I wanted to bend with a propane torch and bent it. I bent the shallow bend first, then the hairpin bend. I used a chicken leg from butchering as a gauge to test the size of the hook catch. The handle is just a wooden dowel with the hole drilled in it barely big enough for the rod; the section of rod going into the wooden handle was scored with a chisel and hammer to make sharp edged grooves that caught the wood------no glue needed. That same hook has been in use a couple decades now, it hangs on the coop besides the door.

Sounds like a job for the hubby during Christmas break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom