Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I googled how to make game bird tie out, game cock teather,ect,ect.... and got squat! That's why I was asking on here... I even pulgged those phrases in the BYC search engine! Ill keep looking

It has been my experience that people who find even the cheapest of things made in the simplest of way's is still never cheap enough, until they try to do make that same thing even cheaper at home. Ok so if you can't afford a $4.00 item and have some Chute cord you would still need to buy a few things and if you just have 3 roo's to tie out your outlay of cash will be even more $$ than the original price of the item you think is over priced.

You still have to get the wrap or teather cinch for each tie out, try buying or finding an old but in good shape rubber tire innertube from a bicycle, buy some small grommet eyelett's and a grommet press, a must no cheapy way around that. You also need to get some type of good swivel for the stake end or you'll end with a knotted tangled mess on a daily bases. Pay special attention to your knot's as chute cord must be tied correctly or they will come loose faster than a 3 yr old shoestrings, Tie out's are not real hard to make with a little thought, it ain't rocket science, but you do have to have at least the basic's to make good ones that will last and work for the birds, when it's all said and done you may wish you would have fessed up the few pennies extra for the real thing...................... Just sayin. I make all sorts of things for my chicken operation and sometimes I just have to figure the true cost of all that is involved. Good luck with them.

Agree with Al. You could even modify velcro computer cord minders, add a swivel clip, use your parachute cord and add another swivel clip on the other end. Cheap, easy, tough, easy on the bird's legs.

I googled how to make game bird tie out, game cock teather,ect,ect.... and got squat! That's why I was asking on here... I even pulgged those phrases in the BYC search engine! Ill keep looking

I found this site not sure if your interested but you have to put everything together

http://www.oakridgegamefarm.net/store/products.php?cat=14

Its worth looking into and the supplies look pretty cheap.

I also read on another site that you need to wait until their spurs grow in before doing this.
They also suggested switching legs now and then so you don't put to much strain on 1 leg.

Also this is what I did when I googled I put in Gamefowl Tie cord and a lot of web sites popped up as well as ebay sites.

Last edited:
Yea I got the ebay sites but I don't do much there like on amazon (boycotting) lol I did a new search and got some good hits! Thatnks OT!
Oh and Bee!, I too would like an autographed copy when they are ready!

Yea I got the ebay sites but I don't do much there like on amazon (boycotting) lol I did a new search and got some good hits! Thatnks OT!

Definitely!
smile.png

Thanks. I went looking and actually found a thread started by beekissed about raising meat birds that went right through to processing them, with photos. I'm thinking the slit throat might be the method for me. I'm even thinking about getting some meat birds next spring.

Sue
Me too! She makes it sound so simple that it's totally do-able!

I don't like ebay myself but I know a lot of people brag about the stuff they get on there.
To me shipping is way to high but I am a penny pincher as my old man calls me lol.....
Glad you got some hits , not an OT yet :) but I am watching the OT do their things and taking notes :)

Oh believe me I am taking everything I read here in like a sponge! Makes my DW & I laugh when some posters got booyty hurt in the begining! Big ole warning sign at the begining! Lol I learned to have thick skin in the service! Lots of DA there that don't know how to talk to people!
I love learnin from the ones that have been there and done that! Even though I may not follow advice some times, I have to remind myself of what I was taught,told, or read. Great thread! Learnin every day! Workin graveyards so I get to go back to pg 28 to see what was said last year! Sucks commin in so late in the game! Like starting a movie half way thru! Gotta go back and see what happened before to get the whole picture!

I don't like ebay myself but I know a lot of people brag about the stuff they get on there.

To me shipping is way to high but I am a penny pincher as my old man calls me lol.....
Glad you got some hits , not an OT yet :) but I am watching the OT do their things and taking notes :)

Many ebay sellers do indeed make their money not off the item but off overcharging for the shipping. This isn't just supposition, I've talked to a couple of them.

Oh, and if you look at the details on that Randall Burkey site, the price is for one dozen cords.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom