Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, my girls may use the run around the clock. I've added a raised dog igloo, too, in case they want to rest or nest in it, but they really seem to enjoy their coop. The food and water are out of the coop now. I can put bales of straw in the run to create a wind and snow break so they may enjoy more space year round. Yes, this is all I can afford; part of my motivation for having hens is healthy food for my family. I did invest in heritage breeds that I learned are good for our weather. Its not my intention to cut corners with the girls' care.

Last edited:
Southern, I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought you were cutting corners on care, because I certainly don't believe that. I have a pet peeve about manufacturers that sell these tiny coops to the inexperienced poultry owners and call it sufficient for 3-5 birds. People buy them believing that this is the truth when nothing could be further from the truth. I know you said this one is a remodeled rabbit hutch but the coops they sell look exactly the same size and shape as this. At TSC, something like this goes from $100-$145.

For that amount of money a person can put up quite a cattle panel coop...the one I built will give 4 sq. ft. for 20 birds and the total cost of materials was $205. It took one woman 10 days to build and that was not full days, just days total.

It all comes down to what you can afford and what kind of coop you can buy/make for that amount of money. A coop made from one cattle panel ~$23~would give you more room than your rabbit hutch. That was the point I was trying to make...there are ways to have a bigger coop for less money than they sell these tiny dollhouse coops.

Sometimes it takes a little imagination to come up with the space and structure you need to house chickens but it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg unless one is wanting something that's beautiful/quaint/cute, etc.

My advice is based on this...I figure Canada gets some deep snows that last awhile, so I'm thinking long before winter is over you will be wanting a different coop/run setup, even for the three birds.

Southern, I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought you were cutting corners on care, because I certainly don't believe that. I have a pet peeve about manufacturers that sell these tiny coops to the inexperienced poultry owners and call it sufficient for 3-5 birds. People buy them believing that this is the truth when nothing could be further from the truth. I know you said this one is a remodeled rabbit hutch but the coops they sell look exactly the same size and shape as this. At TSC, something like this goes from $100-$145.

For that amount of money a person can put up quite a cattle panel coop...the one I built will give 4 sq. ft. for 20 birds and the total cost of materials was $205. It took one woman 10 days to build and that was not full days, just days total.

It all comes down to what you can afford and what kind of coop you can buy/make for that amount of money. A coop made from one cattle panel ~$23~would give you more room than your rabbit hutch. That was the point I was trying to make...there are ways to have a bigger coop for less money than they sell these tiny dollhouse coops.

Sometimes it takes a little imagination to come up with the space and structure you need to house chickens but it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg unless one is wanting something that's beautiful/quaint/cute, etc.

My advice is based on this...I figure Canada gets some deep snows that last awhile, so I'm thinking long before winter is over you will be wanting a different coop/run setup, even for the three birds.
goodpost.gif

This question is for Walt who was helping someone else's question about ventilation. As you know I have a "doll house coop" but I have been working hard with the help of a handy friend to enlarge the coop space for the girls as reasonable as I can using that doll house. I am currently closing in the sides. I plan to pull the tray out of the middle and that will give them close to 5 ft in open vertical space and about 5 ft horizontal space that will be enclosed for 4 hens.

For ventilation there is a 3"x3" in vent hole that was on one side that faces north (and this side of coop is protected by the house. On the opposite side I cut out a approx 6"x6" hole and covered it with a flat ventilation grate used for under the eaves of the house.

As I enclose the lower half of the coop I am leaving about 2-3" opening at bottom that currently has landscape stones in front of it about 2-3 high. The bricks are not up against the side. I left them about 1-1/2" away so some air can circulate through that opening. And the places I am putting wood to enclose where hardware cloth is are not tightly fit in there. I had a friend give me free siding so I am putting the siding over the wood to protect it from the elements. At the top of the "run" part of the doll house coop where the roof meets the frame is about a 1-1/2" opening I assume they put there for ventilation. I plan on leaving that there. At the end where the food & oyster shell feeders are instead of enclosing with wood I thought I could use the heavy duty plastic I purchased per Bees suggestion to use around the 4x8 wooden run I built. It would allow for light in the newly enclosed, larger coop. That ends faces east.

Do you think the bottom opening and top openings are enough ventilation for the area? I looked at the diagram you had posted before and thats what I was trying to accomplish. I can remove the blocks around the bottom perimeter or just leave one instead of stacking them so more ventilation occurs.

Again the areas I am enclosing will not be tight enough to seal the coop from any air. My carpentry skills are not great & figured even with the siding over it air would still get in just not the winds.

Oh one more question (well for tonight) When I pull that tray out to enlarge the coop (its located to just below silver D shaped handle above the hardware cloth enclosed run below the enclosed tiny coop) should I put a piece of wood over it to block the air or will a piece of siding suffice? Its at the level I was thinking of putting in another roost just below that. Also the ramp currently shown will just go to an opening with no floor (once tray removed. I was thinking of putting it so it leads to roost currently in front of nesting boxes instead?

I am trying to make do with what I have. I figure once I get the plastic over the enclosed wooden run that will make the coop area larger for winter because it now has a roof on top. If I put the plastic to the new roof line the wind & snow will be blocked but I will still have plenty of ventilation since there is lattice work on the top not covered by the new roof and the end that faces the doll house coop wouldn't be covered with plastic since its highly unlikely to get winds or snow in there they are so close together. Nor would the side thats against the garage.

New roof for wooden enclosed run (its also on top of the coop now as well.

Thanks for your suggestions. I look forward to your honest suggestions.

to all who are interested i started a thread in the meat bird section called meat birds tell us how you do it. it is designed to educate those interested in meat birds.
all are welcome to join the thread.

That roof looks good! Like the red color.
Thank you. Red is my favorite color :) It also make that run shady as well which the hens like on hot days. Another thing I didnt think of since I figured it was shady enough with the lattice work. But yesterday when it was close to 90 they started yelling they wanted back in that run when we were almost done with the roof and got down in their dirt bath to cool off. Today the same thing when the sun got high & hot they left the big run for this run to be in the shade :) Smart girls :)

Slowly making progress with the improvements you all graciously gave. I have to admit they make sense but you dont think of that when you first start out. I have an extra piece I am going to keep......I am thinking that I can use it for a lean to in the giant run or it may come in handy down the road. Me saving stuff has enabled me to enclose in the doll coop at no cost except the screws. I have a ton of smaller pieces my great aunt gave me that were just collecting dust for a rainy day project :)

Last edited:
This little renovation might be of interest to Southern who has a similar setup, same number of birds as you and is also living in a cold, snowy climate. Thanks for posting the pics as many can see how and what you are doing to make things bigger and more weather appropriate for winter.

to all who are interested i started a thread in the meat bird section called meat birds tell us how you do it. it is designed to educate those interested in meat birds.
all are welcome to join the thread.

How original. How'd you come up with THAT name lol? I'll be there but prolly next week. Got a fishin tournament this weekend. Come on 5 O'clock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom