Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
th.gif
And the vet sings as he drives to the bank to deposit his money, all the while gloating to himself, "A fool and her money is MY kind of woman!"

AMEN! If you spend $1,000 providing medical care for a $5 chicken what you end up with in the best case is a $5 chicken. [I'm being generous with my $5 estimate]

Last edited:
Over on the Kansas thread i told them I use Nu Stock and like how it doesn't stain everything it touches. I like the healing properties and the other chickens seem to not pick at it. The following was the question that was asked, and I told them I'd ask the OT's.

...is there anything in it (nu stock) to stop the other birds from pecking at the wound? The reason for using Blu-Kote is to promote healing (as I understand it the Gentian Violet does contain healing properties) but also stop the other birds from pecking at the wound, allowing the injured bird to remain with the flock. It sounds like the Nu Stock promotes healing but the bird would still have to be separated until the wound is closed over

My daughter got two turkeys and a while she was there the farmer gave her a silkie. She wants me to take the silkie but I'm afraid to. My chickens are laying so they are not chicks, I would have to seperate the silkie from my girls for something like 30 days right. Could my girls catch merecks from the silkie even if its not showing signs it could be a carrier.

Mine weren't....of course, I've never had a bird peck at another bird's wounds in any of my flocks...maybe because they have so much more appealing things to peck at out on forage? Not sure.

All they can is try it and see. From what I've seen the yellow of the NS kind of blends all the colors of the skin until it all looks the same~looks just like old-timey school chalk, so it probably does have some camouflage capabilities when it comes to wounds.

My daughter got two turkeys and a while she was there the farmer gave her a silkie. She wants me to take the silkie but I'm afraid to. My chickens are laying so they are not chicks, I would have to seperate the silkie from my girls for something like 30 days right. Could my girls catch merecks from the silkie even if its not showing signs it could be a carrier.

You have to weigh the general merits of adding this bird to your flock....quarantine problems, roosting problems, leg feathering problems, poor laying, possible disease and parasite vector...all things that are in the negative. What are the positives of accepting this silkie? Extra TP for your gals, hawk decoy, a rug for in front of the nest boxes, a dusting wand to keep the coop tidy of all cobwebs and dust, a place to put any money/feed that you have left over out of your generous paychecks.

It's an easy decision when you break it all down....what will you do?
pop.gif

My run is about that same size, my coop is about 4 x 5, and 5 chickens have loads of room. I could easily accommodate more, but I don't want any more. Yours sounds to me like a good size for 15.

If you can't afford a chicken shrink, you should rethink whether you really can afford to properly care for your poor little birdsies. I might have to call the SPCA or the DCFS (Department of Chicken and Family Services) on you.

Oh that's definitely a good one!!!!!
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom