Chicks are sneezing a lot

Gotcha

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2024
  1. I have 16 chicks (5 barred rock, 5 golden comet, 6 black australorp) aged 8 weeks plus old (all of the golden comet had some feathers when I picked up chicks from hatchery so I'm guessing they are at least 5 days older than rest of the chicks)
  2. Feeding Scratch and Peck Starter/ Modest Milling starter... Both of them are somewhat dusty
  3. Coop has good ventilation: Large flake pine shaving, trying deep litter method

2-3 weeks ago, I thought I heard one of the golden comet made some noise that I've never heard before. Not knowing anything about chickens, I even thought I was hearing something that doesn't exist. She was eating, drinking and acting as same as usual so I thought it was my imagenation. Later I found out that noise was sneezing from research.
Anyway, 2-3weeks forward, more and more chicks are sneezing but eating, drinking and acting really really crazy (that is normal for them). They are so crazy that I worry about them hurting themselves. I don't see any other symptoms and probably I'm worrying about something that doesn't exist, but is there anything I can do to help them stop sneezing? Loos like they are not bothered by it but it bothers me a lot. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have 16 chicks (5 barred rock, 5 golden comet, 6 black australorp) aged 8 weeks plus old (all of the golden comet had some feathers when I picked up chicks from hatchery so I'm guessing they are at least 5 days older than rest of the chicks)
  2. Feeding Scratch and Peck Starter/ Modest Milling starter... Both of them are somewhat dusty
  3. Coop has good ventilation: Large flake pine shaving, trying deep litter method

2-3 weeks ago, I thought I heard one of the golden comet made some noise that I've never heard before. Not knowing anything about chickens, I even thought I was hearing something that doesn't exist. She was eating, drinking and acting as same as usual so I thought it was my imagenation. Later I found out that noise was sneezing from research.
Anyway, 2-3weeks forward, more and more chicks are sneezing but eating, drinking and acting really really crazy (that is normal for them). They are so crazy that I worry about them hurting themselves. I don't see any other symptoms and probably I'm worrying about something that doesn't exist, but is there anything I can do to help them stop sneezing? Loos like they are not bothered by it but it bothers me a lot. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
How does their poop look? Do you have oregano/oregano oil? That stuff works great as an immune system booster. Do note that if you use oregano oil it is crazy strong and you'll probably only need to put one drop in their water, depending on the size of your waterer.

I've had loads of sneezy chicks in the past and they all turned out fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but do keep an eye out if you see anything fishy.

I have undiluted oregano oil (85% carvacrol) so I dilute it with extra virgin olive oil (1:30 ratio) when I take it sublingually. Watere is not that big ( I believe 1.75L). How many diluted drops should I use for that size?

I haven't seen any bubbles in their eyes. I have seen really dark poop here and there (can't tell which chicks are pooping). I wanted to find out if that was caused by internal bleeding so I poked around with stick to see inside of it. Inner color is lighter ( looks like cecal poop color) than outer color.

I've had over 100 chicks and zero sneezing that was just routine. Sneezing has meant respiratory illness that I dealt with from 2 started pullets that came in the mail, sneezing, didn't have eye bubbles. So if it was me I would not exactly ignore it. Do you have a pic of your brooder/set up? Possibly more ventilation is needed, how deep are you talking? Not having to much bedding if that's the case, could help. And possibly respiratory treatment is needed. If the feed is really that dusty, I'd switch feeds or make it into a mash by adding water to minimize the dust.

The coop size is about 110sqft. Little window is open 24/7 unless temp at night goes below 63F or too windy. I open upper man’s door in the morning and close it late at night (close to midnight). I just started deep litter method and have about 5 inches of bedding. Turn the bedding every other day and sprinkle sweet pdz as needed. I add shaving every 7-10 days or as needed. I have over 100 lbs of feed right now so I will start adding some water to make mash.

If chicks have respiratory problem, what treatment options are available other than giving them oregano oil?

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 9
Good call on mash, they love it that way. 5 inches seems excessive for chicks especially with no fresh air down where they are. Can you reduce the amount of shavings? Did you notice the sneezing before you added the 5inches of shavings or after? Are they going out into a run at all or 24/7 in the coop? Fresh air and sunshine is truly needed. I would resolve the dust level before taking measures to treat Respiratory infection. If there is no/low dust and they're still sneezing plus another of the many symptoms (listen to breathing, is it raspy, head shaking, lethargic?) If they do need to be treated for respiratory illness, Oregano is helpful, but it's not the end all, be all. I used VetRx and a dropper very small amount of warm Rosemary oil. Mine recovered but I did not have a dust problem, it was clearly Respiratory from mail shipping.

Good call on mash, they love it that way. 5 inches seems excessive for chicks especially with no fresh air down where they are. Can you reduce the amount of shavings? Did you notice the sneezing before you added the 5inches of shavings or after? Are they going out into a run at all or 24/7 in the coop? Fresh air and sunshine is truly needed. I would resolve the dust level before taking measures to treat Respiratory infection. If there is no/low dust and they're still sneezing plus another of the many symptoms (listen to breathing, is it raspy, head shaking, lethargic?) If they do need to be treated for respiratory illness, Oregano is helpful, but it's not the end all, be all. I used VetRx and a dropper very small amount of warm Rosemary oil. Mine recovered but I did not have a dust problem, it was clearly Respiratory from mail shipping.
They were in a brooder in the house up until 2 weeks ago. They were spending couple hours a day outside when weather permits. I started deep litter method when they moved to the coop. I think they are sneezing more after they moved to the coop.

They are spending 3-5 hrs a day outside right now. I think I hear less sneezing when they are outside. Yesterday, I started to wet down the feed and could be my imagination but I think they are sneezing less. I will continue feeding them fermented feed and kefir feed along with wet feed. Also, I will remove some of the shavings.

Thanks for your advice and I really appreciated.

They were in a brooder in the house up until 2 weeks ago. They were spending couple hours a day outside when weather permits. I started deep litter method when they moved to the coop. I think they are sneezing more after they moved to the coop.

They are spending 3-5 hrs a day outside right now. I think I hear less sneezing when they are outside. Yesterday, I started to wet down the feed and could be my imagination but I think they are sneezing less. I will continue feeding them fermented feed and kefir feed along with wet feed. Also, I will remove some of the shavings.

Thanks for your advice and I really appreciated.
Good plan! Sounds like you may not have to treat for respiratory by resolving the dust issues. Happy for you.

Back
Top Bottom