Here are the blacks.
Untitled290_20240417145552.png
Untitled290_20240417145910.png
Untitled290_20240418132317.png
Untitled290_20240418132504.png
Untitled290_20240418132544.png
Untitled290_20240418132657.png
Untitled290_20240418132812.png

I see some leakage on Persephone, which is a shame. Otherwise she's very pretty.

By the way, I have 19 eggs under two broodys. Some silkie eggs, a few project eggs (2 frizzle eggs!), and three store bought eggs. They were a bit of an experiment but two are developing. I may go back to the store to get some more to put in my incubator. Should I start an experimental hatch-a-long if I get some more of the local store eggs?

By the way, I have 19 eggs under two broodys. Some silkie eggs, a few project eggs (2 frizzle eggs!), and three store bought eggs. They were a bit of an experiment but two are developing. I may go back to the store to get some more to put in my incubator. Should I start an experimental hatch-a-long if I get some more of the local store eggs?
Absolutely! :wee :jumpy

That's cool you got a couple more frizzle eggs, Aphrodite is gorgeous! ❤️

Yes!

I missed week 5, because I was sick. My camera malfunctioned and I lost half of the pictures of the black silkies (again). I really hope I'll get pictures of them this week.

Who do we think will be cockerels? 😂
I still think Alouette might be one of the only pullets here.

View attachment 3804270View attachment 3804269View attachment 3804273View attachment 3804268View attachment 3804272View attachment 3804271
I’m so good at picking out pullets lol (Alouette was one of my picks)

The silkies all got their permanent ID bands on this week. This is my first year using them, so I'm still a but nervous about the permanent part but I got the size for silkies and compared the rings to my adult birds' legs and everything seems okay. The 2024 color is blue, which I find pretty cool. I think it looks especially nice on the paints.
View attachment 3787074
View attachment 3787079View attachment 3787080View attachment 3787081View attachment 3787082
How do these bands work?

How do these bands work?
They're permanent, so you need to order the size that is meant for the breed you have. I think in other breeds roosters and hens had different sizes, but silkies have one size for both.
You put them on around 1 month to 2 months of age and they stay on forever, which is why it's important to get the correct size. They show the year that bird has hatched, the country it's from, and I believe also what association you're in, if you're apart of one. And then of course the individual number of the band.
These bands are needed for showing, but you can also just get them for identification purposes. It serves as basically an ID for your birds. At least all the shows in my area require birds to have these bands in order to be entered.

They're permanent, so you need to order the size that is meant for the breed you have. I think in other breeds roosters and hens had different sizes, but silkies have one size for both.
You put them on around 1 month to 2 months of age and they stay on forever, which is why it's important to get the correct size. They show the year that bird has hatched, the country it's from, and I believe also what association you're in, if you're apart of one. And then of course the individual number of the band.
These bands are needed for showing, but you can also just get them for identification purposes. It serves as basically an ID for your birds. At least all the shows in my area require birds to have these bands in order to be entered.
I guess what I'm really wondering is if they are put on at a month old, how is it permanent? That's what I'm not understanding. What is the band made of and does it grow with them? Have you used them long? What kind of downsides do they have? And lastly what if you needed to take the band off? How is it removed then?

Back
Top Bottom