Color anyone?

All I can tell you is that if you don't know what colors you bought then you have very adorable Easter Egger chicks.

Any reputable source of real Ameraucanas breeds distinct colors, usually that means APA recognized colors but sometimes that might mean certain other/project colors too like lavender.

I only know of 2 hatcheries that sell actual Ameraucanas (Meyer and Cackle) and I'm 99% certain no feed store sells anything other than mislabeled (aka fraud) EEs and they sure wouldn't sell them at the same price as do their EEs as TSC says it does.

The feedstore we got them from said it was a reputable hatchery that they have had true Americaunas from. If they do turn out to be EE's I'll love them anyway though.

How much did you pay for them? If they did not cost at least $10 each, then the feed store is feeding you a line of bull, which would be best placed in your garden. True Ameraucanas, will not be found for less than $10/bird.

The people at that feedstore probably don't know any better but the fact that you have a couple with chipmunk coloration is a dead giveaway that they are EEs. The only APA Ameraucana chicks that have wild type markings would be sold to you as "Silver" and it's not a very common color even within the Ameraucana Breeders Club breeders list.

Feed store "Americaunas" are in fact Easter Eggers. They don't typically follow any standard color/pattern. So its much to young to say for sure what color they are now. They can easily develop into a very different color/pattern than their "chick" color/pattern would indicate. Just going to have to wait until they feather in.

Well not sure what to think now. When the store ordered them they said that they used to have mix ups with EE's but were fixing the problem now. She said that they buy their EE's from one hatchery and their Americaunas from one hatchery and have had true Americaunas from that hatchery.
I would be a little disappointed if they are EE's because we wanted blue egg layers but what ever happens I am very happy that we have these adorable little girls. Thanks for the replies everyone.

FWIW, the last hatchery EE I bought lays a lovely blue egg. I do have one true Ameraucana, though, she's a project self blue. Technically should be called an EE b/c that color is not yet accepted to SOP for Ams. This self blue gal lays a blue egg that is lighter than the egg laid by the EE. So, you may yet get the blue eggs you are looking for. IMO, EE are better overall birds than Ams.

How much did you pay for them? If they did not cost at least $10 each, then the feed store is feeding you a line of bull, which would be best placed in your garden. True Ameraucanas, will not be found for less than $10/bird.

FWIW, the last hatchery EE I bought lays a lovely blue egg. I do have one true Ameraucana, though, she's a project self blue. Technically should be called an EE b/c that color is not yet accepted to SOP for Ams. This self blue gal lays a blue egg that is lighter than the egg laid by the EE. So, you may yet get the blue eggs you are looking for. IMO, EE are better overall birds than Ams.
Okay thanks yes we got them for $5 bird. I am still happy if they do turn out to be EE's because it still adds eggs and color to our carton:)

Back
Top Bottom