Colorado

Wow Suncatcher!  He is a pretty boy. 
It is raining and chilly so I guess it is a good day to hang out on the computer and watch quail hatch.    Samsr- how many quail do you have now?  These eggs fit nicely into the quail trays so they are not the huge jumbo ones, just normal size I guess.  Or maybe jumbo but not mega?  IDK but will find out....  Not sure how many I will over-winter as I need to figure out how easy/hard they will be to keep healthy and comfortable up here. 
I just have 8 at the moment. 7 frmale and one male. Mine are not jumbos either. Just normal coturnix. Jumbos would be nice to have though. They would have a little more meat on their bones. I have been trying to keep a 7 to one ratio of females to males too many males stress out the females. Processing the left over males is a pretty quick and easy experience. Tasty too.
I hope you have a good hatch.

I don't know if some body is interested, I have extras sulmtaler chicks from GFF.
They are doing pretty good so far coming on 3 weeks and no heat at all.

Ashdoes-will you by chance have any frizzle/sizzle cochin?

Agh and still hunting for french bcm chicks. Idk if I'm ready to hatch eggs yet, my house is a disaster.

I should have frizzle/sizzle chicks next spring. I have 2 frizzle bantam cochins I'll be breeding with a silkie roo.

How often do people candle the eggs once they're in the incubator?

Depends on the person. No really, I candle around day seven, toss the clears. My eggs were dark so I just let the rest go and either they hatched or not. The quail eggs I never candled.
Some like to keep track of the size of the air sac. Then you play with the humidity to get the optimal size. Others like to weigh the eggs to check for development.
It just depends on your situation, if the eggs are shipped or local, expensive or cheap, OCD or not.....
There is a really great thread on incubating and hatching eggs with a lot of wonderful information, a sticky

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hing-eggs-important-topic-index-please-review

Quail eggs still hatching.....

I candle at day 7 and 14 just to get rid of obvious blood rings and clears.
That's crazy that they just keep hatching. :)

Quail! I am pretty sure the last one hatched last night (late on Day 19) . 43 eggs set, 32 babies! (Humidities generally 40% or lower incubation, tried to keep it 50% for hatching)
If I had thought that many were going to hatch, I would not have set so many eggs. LOL! Anyone want some quail babies?
Good thing I ordered the mesh to make the quail pens. In hatching quail out, you have to break all of the rules that you learned with chickens.
The one where you never open the lid or they will all die - yeah that one! If you do not get the quail out of the incubator when they are mostly dry, they are harder to catch! They need water and food asap. They hatch on a towel, because their little feet can get caught in the mesh, so to up the humidity after opening the incubator, I put warm water on the towel to evaporate. Seemed to work well..... DH is just laughing and shaking his head. Kids are getting attached. I may be stuck with a quail pet or two after all this.......
hide.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until spring then for frizzle/sizzle chickens. That's alright, I have enough chickens atm with more otw.

My little ayam cemani x orpington chicks are doing well, except the one that had a leg issue when he hatched and is still alive, but very behind growth wise from it's littermates, and escaped every hobble I made it. I'm picking up more ayam cemani x orpington chicks & purebreed ayam cemani chicks tomorrow. Svart honas chicks otw in a couple of weeks, followed by a dozen white bresse chicks. Busy busy.

Building a bigger brooder box tomorrow and going to wardel's feed store before visiting my friend, talking chickens, spending time with chickens.

My 26 itty bitty peep peeps are all growing up so fast, I have to fill up their feeder several times a day, but last night they all put themselves up in the coop! Only took 4 days to get them to do that. Yay peep peeps!

From COlorado Poultry Assoc--Hosting the 1st annual Pikes Peak Regional (southern Colorado) Fall Show on September 27th 2014. (Also a large rabbit show the same day!). At the State Fairgrounds in the small animal building in Pueblo, CO
This will be a day of show entry. Check in is from 8 AM to 9:30 AM. Judging will start at around 10 AM. This is the first show. We will need lots of help/volunteers. Bring your birds to show or sell or both. There is a swap and sale, auction, Youth showmanship, Open and youth show. Vendors are welcome. There will be a raffle to help make money. Please bring something awesome that you would want or need for the table.
Tons of opportunities to meet the judges and seasoned members. Socialize, have fun and learn too.
Email Sancie Rupple if you have questions. If you're new and need or want help.
Please share this info with every poultry person you know. Put up info in your feed stores. Get donations from your feed store for the raffle and awards.
We hope to see you there!
Sancie Rupple
CPA secretary/Treasurer
[email protected]

Oct 25 is the Feather Fanciers show in Henderson at Adams County fairgrounds. For all poultry--chickens waterfowl pigeons and gamebirds

Quail!  I am pretty sure the last one hatched last night (late on Day 19) .  43 eggs set,  32 babies!  (Humidities generally 40% or lower incubation, tried to keep it 50% for hatching)  
If I had thought that many were going to hatch, I would not have set so many eggs.   LOL!   Anyone want some quail babies? 
Good thing I ordered the mesh to make the quail pens.   In hatching quail out, you have to break all of the rules that you learned with chickens.
The one where you never open the lid or they will all die - yeah that one!  If you do not get the quail out of the incubator when they are mostly dry, they are harder to catch!   They need water and food asap.  They hatch on a towel, because their little feet can get caught in the mesh, so to up the humidity after opening the incubator, I put warm water on the towel to evaporate.  Seemed to work well.....     DH is just laughing and shaking his head.  Kids are getting attached.  I may be stuck with a quail pet or two after all this.......
:oops:
If i were closer i would take some off your hands. 12 with 2 males would be an ideal total for my purposes. By the second week you should start to tell which is which. Thats one good thing about quail. Rust color on the chest means male.
They do hatch out like crazy once they start and are some hungry little buggers as well as fast growers. Between 6 to 8 weeks they will start laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom