Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Addictions are strange and complicated. I have known heroin users who could stop on a whim, but were right back when under stress.
Another who had smoked 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day and could quit the nicotine but not the physical habit.
Of course these are outliers, not discounting the horror of those physically addicted to a chemical. Just saying there are personal variations.
I watch a TV show called Lockup and I heard a woman on it talk about her addiction to a certain drug. She said she didn't miss the high but she missed the experience. She talked about how the experience of lighting up and watching the smoke building etc. It was like hearing someone talk of a very fond memory. It was really sad to me because I knew that if she got out of jail she'd end up right back there because all she associated with the drug was positive memories. Really unfortunate

I watch a TV show called Lockup and I heard a woman on it talk about her addiction to a certain drug. She said she didn't miss the high but she missed the experience. She talked about how the experience of lighting up and watching the smoke building etc. It was like hearing someone talk of a very fond memory. It was really sad to me because I knew that if she got out of jail she'd end up right back there because all she associated with the drug was positive memories. Really unfortunate
Good point. A lot of it is the ritual.
I was close to a nurse at who had been caught using at work and went through rehab. She confided in me that "I know I could go to that drug dispenser, give myself a shot and all my problems would go away. And that is a terrible thing to know." Of course she also knew it would be temporary and it would destroy her life.
But it was a horrible temptation she had to live with.

Good point. A lot of it is the ritual.
I was close to a nurse at who had been caught using at work and went through rehab. She confided in me that "I know I could go to that drug dispenser, give myself a shot and all my problems would go away. And that is a terrible thing to know." Of course she also knew it would be temporary and it would destroy her life.
But it was a horrible temptation she had to live with.
I'm almost done reading j.d. Vance's memoir and apparently his mom had the same issue. She was a nurse and it all started with her stealing pills from work. I guess she graduated to heroin eventually. It's not just a struggle for the one individual and that's what they can sometimes selfishly believe. It effects everyone and everything close to them

Back
Top Bottom