What did you do in the garden today?

I watered the garden yesterday and mowed the backyard. Hopefully that’s the last time this year. Today I baked bread and made a batch of applesauce. It came to 8 1/2 half pint jars of chunky unsweetened applesauce.

IMG_7362.jpeg

Last year I cured my sweet potatoes by wrapping them up in my electric blanket, spread out on the table. This year, I ignored the plants (which I planted waaaay too late) because I was sure there would be nothing there. Eventually, frost killed them.

Imagine my surprise when I pulled the vines and there were several (9) BIG sweet potatoes! Well, the electric blanket is on the bed and I'm not curing the potatoes with it.

I'm not sure I can get any place the requisite 85-90 degrees with high humidity. So, my question is, does anyone have a use for UNCURED sweet potatoes? Can they be used like regular potatoes, to which they are not related?
I've seen Mark on Self-suficient Me channel use them fresh from the ground. I'm pretty sure the curing process is for storage purposes.

The narrow bed with the potato planter still has carrots, kale and collards trying to grow. I still haven't decided their fate. I might just pull them out and prep that bed for next year too.
My kale usually overwinters, if the deer don't eat it.

I'll need to start using it more. It came up volunteer for me this spring too, in the path between beds. It made it impassible eventually.

Here are the raised beds, all prepped for the winter. I gave them a fresh dusting of chicken poop to feed the fungus, microbes and bugs in the soil. The big parsley is looking good in the corner.

I'll clear the leaf mulch from one end of one of the beds soon and plant onion and shallot seeds in hopes they'll sprout and grow a little over the winter. I grew one bag full of 90 onion sets this spring, and with all the salsa, relish and pickles I made that wasn't nearly enough. I'm thinking I'll need closer to 150 or 200 yellow onions for next year.

The narrow bed with the potato planter still has carrots, kale and collards trying to grow. I still haven't decided their fate. I might just pull them out and prep that bed for next year too.

I'm leaving the big bed as-is over the winter, next year's tomato bed. It'll be good to get all those stinkin' herbs moved out next spring and into a new location. Garlic is on the west side of the tomato bed.

View attachment 3969948View attachment 3969949View attachment 3969950View attachment 3969951View attachment 3969952View attachment 3969953View attachment 3969954
Wow, beautiful work! I love your use of the leaves. Soil loves a good leaf feast.

My kale usually overwinters, if the deer don't eat it.
Mine would be safe from the deer if I leave it, but I'm kind of leaning on the side of just stripping that bed bare and getting it set up for next year. The chickens would get a little snack out of it that way. I have a lot of greens and carrots in the freezer for this winter so I don't really need them growing in the garden too.

Back
Top Bottom