Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Second group. I know this bunch has a male.

I have one that is really dark brown, 4 that are tan/gold and 3 white. New ti these guys yet. Should be laying eggs soon I hope. I have been hearing the males call for 2 or 3 week now, bit no eggs yet. I just put them in the new pen today and added a LED light. Hope the light is bright enough or back to Lowes I go.

I've got a few new one's with reddish color but not that lovely dark head! Now I want one...addictive little things! Let us know about the LED light!

I'm trying to figure out how to get them fourteen hours of daylight to lay when the second the sun pops out the little buggers go inside...when it's windy and damp they come out and hop around happy as anything....it's like they didn't read their own instructions....

I am keeping mine inside. My coop gets light but I think I need to add a window yet to the 4 it has it or a skylight. Actually skylights to both coops not a bad idea, hmmm time to ask the hubby what he thinks. Time to research again.

I have one that is really dark brown, 4 that are tan/gold and 3 white. New ti these guys yet. Should be laying eggs soon I hope. I have been hearing the males call for 2 or 3 week now, bit no eggs yet. I just put them in the new pen today and added a LED light. Hope the light is bright enough or back to Lowes I go.

I don't know specifically with birds, but for horses, if you are adding light to prevent a winter coat or start them shedding out early, they say a rule of thumb to be sure it is bright enough is to sit in the darkest corner of the stall and if you can comfortably read a newspaper then it's bright enough. I would imagine that amount of light would work for birds as well.

Guys I am not trying to offend any one, you need at least 3 or 4 hens in with 1 cock Quail. Otherwise plan for moving him out on a regular basis, weekly or he will overbreed and kill your hens. They are a very active breeding species. Coturnix are intended for a meat bird, and have been hybridized for a very long time, centuries. Will not normally brood eggs, either like a bobwhite.
Some folks will buy boys only but being completely honest. The intention will be for a meal, not a pet. If you want your excess fellas to be pet only be sure the person is really being honest with you. Many of us do keep them for eggs, but frankly, I am a homestead. They are part of our food supply too. I don't treat them any different than my dog, a pet because they deserve it. Just want you to understand this species has a short lifespan, and how folks see them as part of their farm.

Had a closer look.... the top half of the beak has gone...... to about half way, it can still drink but not sure about it, please tell me it will grow back, already lost enough from this batch, and yes it is a male, is it is crowing..... Please help, should it be separate or was it the lizard that did it?
Baby birds are a natural food for some types of lizards. Yes, separate. You can find a lot of this info on google also.

Back
Top Bottom