Curly feathers

LMAO!!!!!!!! Those are the cutest babies in the world! You can't help but crack up looking at that picture!!

The black one behind mine must have been fluffing at the time of the picture. All the others look smooth to me. Can you tell me if Frizzles are special or rare? These are my first chickens, ordered from mypetchicken.com. They were supposed to be all females. One died (arrived with a deformed lower beak), one is crowing....got to be a rooster. Batting 100 here. I am really thankful this curly one is not sickly!!

I just realized that I began my post in this incubating section of the board....oops

Ahh that is ok, you will get the hang of the forum before too long.

Yeah mine look like, "WHATTTT I work hard every morning to make my feathers do this!" I am thinking this is my new background for my computer! LOL
lau.gif

I am no expert, but I wonder if its different because
mine has 2 frizzle parents, and yours is 1/2 frizzle and 1/2 buff Orp. That might be why the feathers are tweaked, but not as curly. that would keep the frizzle gene in there, but might reduce the effect. Just a guess
smile.png

With two frizzle parents they are called *frazzled* (really) I have chicks from the same person (Dipsey Doodle) as JMajors and they have a smooth dad and frizzled moms. Frizzle is a gene that affects the feathers and has nothing to do with breed.

Interesting....thank you everyone for the help. I had the poor girl mite infested, diseased or worse yet dead! I didn't know she was just special. I'm looking forward to she how she turns out. Lurky's baby is a doll! I want more now
smile.png

i wish i knew how to post pictures...
the first "frizzle" i got from the hatchery... was BALD,, butt naked bald was a cute fuzzy baby but when others got adult feathers, he did not.... had a couple of curly feathers but mostly BALD.. red sunburned poor guy, only lived for a few years, had to heat his coop in the winter.. shade in the summer, still got sunburned....
i contacted the hatchery, they just said "that sometimes happens" acted like it was no big deal..
now i have his son that is a frizzle..

Quote:
They say that is the drawback from breeding frizzle to frizzle...you get very hard feathers or no feathers at all. That is why it is best to breed cochin to frizzle but not frizzle to frizzle. I am sure you get good ones even at that but why chance it.

We are breeding frizzle to silkie and also to cochin and they are turning out beautifully.

Also your bird could be a naturally occuring frizzle, it happens, it's how it all started. They're sometimes not quite as curled as a deliberately bred one. Rodriguezpoultry just got a langshan baby that's gone curly despite pure parents.

Or someone like one of mine could have jumped the fence
smile.png

Rather than dump too many pics - have a link - warning the little buggers are in their ugly phase and yet still addictive.

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/walkswithdog/Dels and sizzles growing/

Back
Top Bottom