Damn Bobcat!

Thanks for the encouraging report!
smile.png

Quote:
I am glad that is encouraging-that she went in the house and went on her pole to roost

A little scared to check them in the morning...

We will have to keep them in a cage in the basement until we secure the coop (it's a big cage)

Do we need hardware cloth on all sides of the pen?

THANKS YOU GUYS

hopefully someday I can return the favor

(I thought it was so sweet the other hen - she is older - was watching over her-we got the new hen to keep the old one company and they are thick as thieves)

bbk in the morning

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this, we had the same thing happen to us last fall, ours were in a 4 x 6 ft chain link dog kennel and we heard the chickens sqawking and looked off of our back deck ( it's two story) and the bobcat had reached thru the chainlink and ripped one of our hens heads off and nearly ripped the head off of the other one which later died...the scary part is that we ran outside and started screaming and chunking big rocks at him so that we could get to the pen and he would not leave....he just stood and looked at us....we left the dead chickens in there until the next night so that we could maybe get a shot at him....that didn't work... but later that week something killed 3 of our ducks....HE WILL BE BACK!! We ended up getting 2 Great Pyrenees that had been raised with chickens and haven't had a problem since...I wish you luck ....I would put them together for comfort....and give electrolytes.....and keep them warm.....I hope they make it.

Quote:
I am glad that is encouraging-that she went in the house and went on her pole to roost

A little scared to check them in the morning...

We will have to keep them in a cage in the basement until we secure the coop (it's a big cage)

Do we need hardware cloth on all sides of the pen?

THANKS YOU GUYS

hopefully someday I can return the favor

(I thought it was so sweet the other hen - she is older - was watching over her-we got the new hen to keep the old one company and they are thick as thieves)

bbk in the morning

Yes, unfortunately you need strong small diameter wire on every side including the top. So expensive, I know! Also, a raccoon can pull the wire loose where it's attached! It must be really securely attached.
old.gif

Good report here

We put her and her buddy in the house for the night and closed them up, the next morning she was fine she even laid an egg!

Gotta secure that cage better for sure I am sure the cat will return like kandiandjerry said, also like they said one other time when I saw the cat I clapped my hands and it just looked at me then ran away

I am not sure if we can shoot him where I live

Thanks for all your help you guys-I bought the electrolytes and didnt use them, feeling a little sick myself I may take them myself
smile.png

Last edited:
Yay! Good to hear she's doing better and even laid an egg. I've tasted the electrolyte/vitamin mix...its salty! Probably won't hurt you.
wink.png

I guess we're in the boonies so the animals are more shy and run off really easily, plus there are large dogs all around. Bobcats aren't endangered so shooting them is only a matter of where you live...ordinances and such.

We have electrical hot wire on our coops and runs. A Bobcat isn't going to go near anything that will shock it, most predators don't, at least after they've been shocked. You can get a small garden sized charger for $30.

Back
Top Bottom