Day 18.....Lockdown

Mine started at about 8 weeks I think, and they lay me an egg every day without fail. SLW are beautiful! I have 3 eggs incubating alongside Araucanas and a couple of GLW, on day 8 now.

Not much has changed in the bator... One of the Barred Rocks has pipped. The others have made no progress. Little Australorp is wandering around looking lonely.

I did open the bator quickly and grab the malpositioned egg. I wanted to moisten the membrane as I could see it drying up a little. The blood veins are shrinking and the chick is still chirping strongly. Rewrapped the egg in a damp paper towel, and managed to get it safely back in the incubator without the humidity dropping. Hopefully it'll be okay.

Any more action from the bobwhites?
good thing you re-hydrated the membrane. i hope the chicks turns out okay. alot of the eggs are wiggling! day 21 starts in 8 1/2 hours.. i havnt been able to sleep.. its 2 in the morning over here and i have to be up at 6
barnie.gif

good thing you re-hydrated the membrane. i hope the chicks turns out okay. alot of the eggs are wiggling! day 21 starts in 8 1/2 hours.. i havnt been able to sleep.. its 2 in the morning over here and i have to be up at 6
barnie.gif
I know how you feel.. I took tomorrow off from work and I barely slept last night - don't expect to sleep tonight either, but it's only 6pm here.

I think the other Australorp is starting to zip.

I did open the bator quickly and grab the malpositioned egg. I wanted to moisten the membrane as I could see it drying up a little. The blood veins are shrinking and the chick is still chirping strongly. Rewrapped the egg in a damp paper towel, and managed to get it safely back in the incubator without the humidity dropping. Hopefully it'll be okay.
Lyrika, I don't want to alarm you, but I don't think the malpositioned chick stands any chance of hatching on it's own due to malposition.
How many hours ago was the initial pip?
you did good moistening the membrane! can I see a picture? is any shell removed past the initial pip? you may need to create an artificial zip for this chick.

Lyrika, I don't want to alarm you, but I don't think the malpositioned chick stands any chance of hatching on it's own due to malposition.
How many hours ago was the initial pip?
you did good moistening the membrane! can I see a picture? is any shell removed past the initial pip? you may need to create an artificial zip for this chick.
I managed to carefully remove some of the eggshell without damaging the membrane underneath. When he's ready I hope he should just be able to push through, it is a fairly big hole. I don't think he's ready yet though, there's still quite a bit of blood in the membrane. The initial pip was about 18 hours ago.

Here's a picture.

You can see the blood still in the membrane. I wrapped the damp paper towel around where most of the exposed membrane was to delay it drying out. I've also moved him right to the front of the bator so I can monitor him and if necessary get him out without having to fully open the door, so I can dampen the membrane again.

I managed to carefully remove some of the eggshell without damaging the membrane underneath. When he's ready I hope he should just be able to push through, it is a fairly big hole. I don't think he's ready yet though, there's still quite a bit of blood in the membrane. The initial pip was about 18 hours ago.

Here's a picture.

You can see the blood still in the membrane. I wrapped the damp paper towel around where most of the exposed membrane was to delay it drying out. I've also moved him right to the front of the bator so I can monitor him and if necessary get him out without having to fully open the door, so I can dampen the membrane again.
you are 100% right about everything here ^
there is a bit of blood still, I would have put it back to wait longer too. I will be anxiously checking her progress in the morning!
great job!!!!
thumbsup.gif

and thanks for the pic!

Last edited:
you are 100% right about everything here ^
there is a bit of blood still, I would have put it back to wait longer too. I will be anxiously checking her progress in the morning!
great job!!!!
thumbsup.gif

and thanks for the pic!
Thanks, reassuring to know I'm doing the right thing with it. I hope she will be okay.

A welsummer egg has pipped.

Back
Top Bottom