Day 18.....Lockdown

it is fine to have lower humidity- I dry hatch and hand turn I can feel the moisture in the incubator- at the same time it is not steaming up the glass which would be bad.

Now I am worried that 50% humidity is not low enough!  This can drive you crazy.  I just read the dry hatch method AGAIN and printed out the picture of the air cells at 7, 14, and 18th day.
I think I am going to let the humidity drop a little, may be around 40% until day 14.
I am only on day 5!

Sounds like a good plan. It's definitely early enough for you to make some changes. I kept one of my two water reservoirs full and my humidity stayed between 30 and 40%. At lockdown I filled both reservoirs and my humidity stayed between 55 and 65%. Worked great for me. 90-100% hatch rates.
Good luck!

Leslie

as far as instruments, what thermo/ hygrometers are people using.
I've got a couple cheap digitals combos and a brinsea spot check. The spot check has had nothing but issues and brinsea takes it's time with customer service.
I also have a wet bulb hygro that came with my hova. I have the hygro on the egg turner, I will take some pictures in a bit

I didn't write it... I just link to it because I think it's really good.

there is no risk in opening the incubator right now :)

I really like knowing when the internal pip happens. then I will know an approximate timeframe for when the pip should happen, and if it doesn't, then I know to be concerned. This comes from experience of having eggs pip internally but never externally. If I could save them then I would. I prefer candling for internals. everyone is different :)
I hatch hundreds and hundreds of chicks. I always wait for internal pip before locking down. :) You are doing it right.

My hatches went way up since I did this. I had a lot dead in shell because they drowned. Humidity too high before they internally pipped.

I have a separate hatcher. I open up real quick to add newly internally pipped eggs. I candle often in those last days. On day 20 if no internal pip is seen, I add them in anyway.

It hasn't moved or peeped or anything for about 3 hours. I'm starting to get nervous

How long since it pipped?? Mine seem to take a LONG break after they pip. Then once they start zipping it happens pretty quick. Good luck!

Leslie

Back
Top Bottom