Deep litter in run - on top of concrete - SEMO

khalida

Songster
Mar 14, 2022
Cape Girardeau, MO
I have been doing a fair amount of reading here on BYC , trying to find my answers, but I feel like this might be a more personal to me questions. If not id be happy to read what ever article/forum post you send my way ^..^

in my run, I plan on doing a deep litter method for the chickens, the coop and run are going to be bolted onto a cement padding (best place for it as we live on a slope and the shed already helps provide shelter with the roof overhang)

we plan on designing our coop that it will make it easy to remove the run DLM when clean time arrives, I'm hoping to do this only 2-3xs a year, I plan on letting my girls roam in our fenced in yard while I'm out in the garden (a few hours every day) or in the chicken tractor so not all their time will be spent in the run.

I understand that the concrete is prone to sweating so I have a few ideas on what to use for the deep litter method, but I need some input please <3

important info:
I live in South east Missouri, so its sometimes it turns into satans armpit, its hot and humid
I would like to do the deep litter method if possible, I struggle with fibromyalgia and not having to clean as often, would be helpful
the coop and run will be on a concrete pad
coop will be elevated
will be allowed to roam in fenced in area or in chicken tractor a good portion of the day
would like to clean only 2-3xs a year (would be preferred but once a month would also be acceptable)
12'x12' run with elevated coop that is 8'x4'
keeping roughly 6 chickens (city limit)

I was thinking about using horse stall pads on the bottom and adding bedding on top, Im just not sure what bedding would be best for the amount of humidity where I live, and cost effective.
my partner and I were thinking something along the lines of peat moss with top soil and a light layer of wood chips to keep the soil from blowing away and adding a different texture for the chickens. (not sure if it matters) I'm worried of using pine shavings or straw and having it blow away/get too moist and I'm still unsure about sand, as it seems like you have to keep up on keeping it clean.
any suggestions on bedding type?

if you made it this far into my post, thank you for at least taking the time to read!

I am still new to the world of chickens, so if I've misinterpreted something, or got my info wrong, i don't mean to upset anyone.

articles ive read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...asiest-way-to-deal-with-chicken-litter.47740/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bedding-part-1-comparing-materials.67394/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-sand-in-the-chicken-coop.67920/

I may be able to help! I've been doing deep litter for years, similar climate (northwest Ar...hot and humid in the summer!). While some of my coops are directly on the ground, some are raised, I also do deep litter in my barn which has old concrete floor.

I usually clean out in the spring (get everything nice and fresh for breeding season!) and 3-4 times during the summer months. I think in a climate like ours, Summer is when you want to keep it not so deep, as a thick layer of composting manure and bedding creates heat which you don't really want in the summer months! Once fall comes, I start letting it get deep again, and don't clean it out again until spring the following year. I just freshen with new bedding as needed! This lets it compost during the winter, creating some heat, and giving me some material to work with in the gardens in the spring time!

One difference is I am keeping a lot more chickens than you in the coop/barn areas. With 6 chooks in an 8x4 coop, you may find you don't need to clean it out as often as I do. you will have to figure what cleaning schedule works best for you!

Will the run also be deep litter, or is it more of a dirt run??

As far as horse stall pads, can't give any insight on that, as I have always just done the bedding straight on the concrete. I've never really had a huge problem with humidity, especially if its deep, only the bottom layers will be moist, the top with be fine.

As far as what type of bedding, I have always used pine shaving, or wood sawmill shavings, hay/straw, and leaves. Really whatever I can get for free haha. Where we live there are lots of sawmills, so we are able to get truck loads of the stuff for free. That is very handy. Before we had access to that, I would use the pine shavings from your local feed store. Leaves break down pretty fast, so I don't use them much unless I'm purposefully making garden soil. hay and straw I usually add on top of the shavings and use it in the nest boxes.
Shavings do eventually get moist but they stay fairly fluffy, even when totally wet. They can really absorb quite a bit of water, which for my situation works well. When it or hay is dry they can fly around a bit, but my wire is all welded hardware cloth, so I don't loose much.

They would love soil and wood chips, but I feel like that might get very heavy when it gets damp...I have never tried it, so I can't really tell ya...

All in all concrete is actually a great floor for a coop...easy to clean, and predators can't dig into concrete! Honestly i haven't noticed my concrete sweating any more than the earth does, so really you shouldn't have a huge problem on that end.

Well, hopefully something in here helps, or gives you some ideas! Welcome to the world of chickens! haha. I know you'll enjoy them, they really are so fun to have around!

This was very insightful thank you for taking the time to respond!!

It's great to know that someone near my area has had success using pine shavings on concrete

Will the run also be deep litter, or is it more of a dirt run??

The run is on concrete. So I'm hoping a deep litter method, the pine shavings seem to be a good method, and the coop and run are well covered from the elements, so I probably won't have too much to worry about.

Thank you! Hearing someone from a similar area makes me feel much more confident on pine shavings if I need to go that route, I think bases on what you said, perhaps the soil and wood chips could be another option.
I have two months to figure out the bedding so fingers crossed! 🤞🏻

Here we have an old concrete floor in the coop and small roofed run too, and have stall mats on top, mostly because of the cracked floor. It also helps keep ground moisture at bay, and is easy to shovel out at cleaning time. We use the bagged pine shavings from the feed store (shop around for best prices!) and then some hay or straw mixed in. I wouldn't add dirt!
Because the litter isn't in contact with the soil, it doesn't form compost as it would on a dirt floor. Still it works great, with maybe three or at most four annual clean outs.
Mary

That's less the Deep Litter Method, and more just deep litter, which is fine.
DLM is actually on soil, which allows the good biome of the soil, worms, bacteria and such, to work their way up, while allowing nutrients and break down into the soils. It's a symbiotic relationship.

You'll still have the breakdown of materials, but it will be through use and wear. When you do clean out your run, you'll be removing smaller pieces of pine shavings/bedding and manure. If not cleaned out often enough, ammonia from waste will still build up. But the deep litter will allow for natural hunt and seek for the birds.

When I clean out my DLM on soil, I'm removing soil and some litter that is almost broken down. I'm essentially composting in place, with the girls hunting and scratching sometime 9 inches deep chasing bugs that come up into the run with the soil progression, they turn the compost and speed the process up.

That's not a condemnation, just showing you the difference.

I use wood pellets that expand when we in the summer months, and add pine shavings, which hold warmth in the winter months. I rake it out twice a year and put fresh in. April and October.

That's less the Deep Litter Method, and more just deep litter, which is fine.
DLM is actually on soil, which allows the good biome of the soil, worms, bacteria and such, to work their way up, while allowing nutrients and break down into the soils. It's a symbiotic relationship.

You'll still have the breakdown of materials, but it will be through use and wear. When you do clean out your run, you'll be removing smaller pieces of pine shavings/bedding and manure. If not cleaned out often enough, ammonia from waste will still build up. But the deep litter will allow for natural hunt and seek for the birds.

When I clean out my DLM on soil, I'm removing soil and some litter that is almost broken down. I'm essentially composting in place, with the girls hunting and scratching sometime 9 inches deep chasing bugs that come up into the run with the soil progression, they turn the compost and speed the process up.

That's not a condemnation, just showing you the difference.

I use wood pellets that expand when we in the summer months, and add pine shavings, which hold warmth in the winter months. I rake it out twice a year and put fresh in. April and October.
Thank you for clarifying! I was under the impression that over time the shavings break down (with the chicken manure) and would create the dlm

I'll do some more research, your response was helpful thank you for your time! ☺️

Thank you for clarifying! I was under the impression that over time the shavings break down (with the chicken manure) and would create the dlm

I'll do some more research, your response was helpful thank you for your time! ☺️
It kind of is, but it's not.
There are days I wish I had concrete under so I could go in and clean to the concrete, and not deal with voles, mice, rats, mink getting in, yes, we have deeply burried wire cloth and bases. Prairie rodents are different breed to normal mice and vermin, digging deeply and far to get to where they want is normal.

Back
Top Bottom