Does anyone have any experience raising Light Brahmas?

bantamman13

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2008
I am ordering some Light Brahmas as I can not find any in this area does anyone have any ideas as far as their compatibility with other breeds and how easy they are to raise chicks from. If anyone out there is breeding these birds I would like any info I could get on raising them. Thx

I have only raised 5 ( sold 3 ) keep the other 2 and they are great birds - mine lay a pretty pinkish egg, not flighty ( they were as babies ) can handle the cold and snow, and are doing fairly well in my 102 deg weather. one of mine Cleo can be a little pushy with the other hens but she will let me pick her up and carry her around.

mine are not show quailty so there feet feathers are not very fancy and pretty but I love them for being pretty steady layers I have not had one go broody mine are only a little over a year ( but my silver laced cochin Lacey Bear has gone broody twice - same age ).

I dont know if I helped any or not LOL
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I love my brahmas. I'm working on getting to only them in my pens. They are a very very calm lot. I have 2 roosters in one pen with 14 girls, I couldn't decide which one to keep and they aren't giving me or the girls any probs so they both get to stay.

In the other pen I have a lt brahma roo with several different breeds of hens. I would say make sure you stay with some of the heavier breed hens. I had a hen or two (usually my ee's/americanas) limping on occasion, I believe this is due to their size and his. He's a huge huge fellow.

I got into them due to the "calm nature" I had read about them. Oh so true. I got into chickens to help get over my paralyzing fear of birds. Then I wanted to hatch, so naturally I needed a rooster. I definitely made the right choice. I've had them for 5 years and never a problem from any of the 3 I have.

I have to say my biggest complaint would be from this year. We've had lots and lots of rain so my pens are a mucky muddy mess, so their feet feathers are disgusting.

They have been excellent mommas. She was able to hatch out 8 chicks. She is serious about them, they only ones we lost were due to them getting into the main pen and the mean nasty barred rock henI have killing them.

I'm sure you'll fall head over heels with their personalities.

Smiles
Jul

Honestly out of the 200 birds (maybe more) I've had in my home my Lt Brahma Sweetheart is my favorite one. Best personality, like her size, her coloring...just like everything about her really.

I have some Light Brahmas that came as part of a mix. This is my first experience with them so take it with a grain salt. They are about 5 -6 weeks old.

The LBs are in with some Easter Eggers and some sort of black bird that I haven't figured out yet. They are skittish but are starting to get less so. They seem to be at the bottom of the pecking order. I have had to more doctoring of the base of the tail with them. When I do catch them and hold and pet they are very gentle and settle down, catching is another story though.

They are beautiful birds.

My only experience with them is with the 18 - almost 9 weeks old ones I am starting with. I knew I wanted brahmas for all the reasons the others have stated and I haven't been disappointed. I love all my brahmas, but my light ones are extra sweet. They were a bit skittish at first, but have calmed down nicely. My light roo is a big ol' baby.

I LOVE my Brahmas! They are very sweet, laid-back chickens. Even the roos are SUPER nice birds. Never had any issues with pecking or picking on my ducks, chicks, ducklings or anything, really. The issue was actually that they were being picked on by the other birds....

Back
Top Bottom