Duck head injury *NEED Advice*

Tnhobbyfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2019
I've been a long time lurker by this is my first post. Really need advice and hope y'all can help. Yesterday went to feed my flock and noticed one of my ducks didn't look right. Caught it and realized that part of its (still fairly young and not yet sure of sex) head was missing. Basically the top part, looks like part of the skull even. Left eye is matted with dry blood, as well as top of head. Crazy thing is, it's acting fine, eat drink etc. So of course I go to clean wound and realize I've never dealt with a brain injury before! I opted to only use saline solution to rinse the wound, but I don't want to possibly cause brain damage by using to much pressure. I did extensive googling yesterday and wasn't able to find much. Looks like most (human) head injuries are treated by debridement and oral antibiotics. I put a dab of antibiotic ointment on there last night, seems like it didn't cause any further damage. I put gauze over the wound and today the duck still acts normal. I'm hesitant to take it to a vet as I'm afraid they will just put it down, and they is only one vet in the area that deals with "exotics" and most of the birds they see are parrots. Mostly at this point I'm worried about infection, and whether or not skin will ever grow over the wound. Has anyone ever deal with this?? Will it recover or should I just go ahead and take it to be humanely destroyed?

Adding photos

*WARNING *

They are graphic

Attachments

• 20190709_194500.jpg
    20190709_194500.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190709_194510.jpg
    20190709_194510.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20190709_195943.jpg
    20190709_195943.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 129
Poor baby! Animals have a remarkable ability to heal, even from major wounds. If he doesn't appear to be in pain I would try to save him. The gauze is a great idea to keep bugs & dirt out of the wound. I would keep him away from other animals in a dry, warm, clean, calm place. Other birds could pick at the wound. I had success with my pigeon with hydrogen peroxide on the wounds once a day until it has formed a solid dry scab, (but don't let it get in the eyes), followed with the antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin, etc.). Later on if any flap of skin is hanging off and looks dead you can trim it off with scissors. I've had massive holes in my pigeon's chest/neck completely fill in and you now would never know there was an injury there from a hawk attack. That was years ago & he's healthy as can be. I've treated chicken and turkey wounds with similar success.

What a wound! I’m so sorry your duck is hurt. While it is a great sign that it’s eating and drinking, ducks are incredibly good at ‘masking’ pain because an injured duck is easy prey. If seeing a vet is an option, I highly recommend doing so. If not, keep the area clean and keep and eye out for flies/maggots. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery for your duck friend.

I don't have the option of taking my birds to a vet, so you have more options than me. Was your duck attacked by something? It's a nasty looking wound, but if the duck is behaving normally, it might well recover with your first aid there at home. Very nice bandaging in that photo. Duck looks calm, not in distress, so I would not be too fast to cull it. If things turn bad, then that option could/should be reconsidered for the benefit of the duck.

The vets in my area (northeast TN) are well, not very inclined to save livestock as they are not "worth it."
I've been keeping it in the house in a crate, definitely do not want flies to get in it.
No idea what really happened, best guess is maybe an owl pecked at its head before my flock guardian could get over there.
I've had animals, horses, poultry, dogs etc my whole life. I've treated a ton of injuries, even ones that the vet was leaning towards euthanasia. But this is a first for me.

Really appreciate everyone's advice so far and thank you so much!!

The vets in my area (northeast TN) are well, not very inclined to save livestock as they are not "worth it."
I've been keeping it in the house in a crate, definitely do not want flies to get in it.
No idea what really happened, best guess is maybe an owl pecked at its head before my flock guardian could get over there.
I've had animals, horses, poultry, dogs etc my whole life. I've treated a ton of injuries, even ones that the vet was leaning towards euthanasia. But this is a first for me.

Really appreciate everyone's advice so far and thank you so much!!

Sounds like you know what to do to handle this then! :) I’ve struggled finding avian vets in our area as well. Fortunately, I found one on staff at NC State’s veterinary hospital. Please keep us updated on your duck! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom