duck wheezing and sneezing

rzigorzut

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2022
hi, first time owning ducks, i searched for similar questions but still not sure so i prefer to make a thread

i have 5 ducks, 4 weeks old. they sneeze a little and one of them is wheezing, not all the time but if i'm near them long enough i will hear it, i think only one of them is wheezing because it's been i think 3 days and i didn't hear two doing it at the same time. their waterer isn't deep enough but they have a pool that is 20 cm deep so they can clear their noses, but even after swimming i can hear the duck wheezing. i think it might be because ~5 days ago i let them go outside because i thought it will get warmer but it didn't (16 celsius and windy), next 3 days i kept them inside because it was cold and they have straw bedding that has wood shavings under it and at first i didn't cover it with enough straw and one night they ate some i think because there was some in their waterer. the straw bedding got wet because they had water inside all the time, now when they are outside i open the door so it dries and add straw. except that they seem fine, eating a lot and sprinting when they see the swimming pool :D

what could be the cause?? and home remedies? i put some garlic in their waterer and i think the wheezing got quieter but it's still there

also less important but:
1. when i try to touch them with my hands they will run away, how to make them like me?
2. can you add chili powder to duck food? i heard it helps chickens

hi, first time owning ducks, i searched for similar questions but still not sure so i prefer to make a thread

i have 5 ducks, 4 weeks old. they sneeze a little and one of them is wheezing, not all the time but if i'm near them long enough i will hear it, i think only one of them is wheezing because it's been i think 3 days and i didn't hear two doing it at the same time. their waterer isn't deep enough but they have a pool that is 20 cm deep so they can clear their noses, but even after swimming i can hear the duck wheezing. i think it might be because ~5 days ago i let them go outside because i thought it will get warmer but it didn't (16 celsius and windy), next 3 days i kept them inside because it was cold and they have straw bedding that has wood shavings under it and at first i didn't cover it with enough straw and one night they ate some i think because there was some in their waterer. the straw bedding got wet because they had water inside all the time, now when they are outside i open the door so it dries and add straw. except that they seem fine, eating a lot and sprinting when they see the swimming pool :D

what could be the cause?? and home remedies? i put some garlic in their waterer and i think the wheezing got quieter but it's still there

also less important but:
1. when i try to touch them with my hands they will run away, how to make them like me?
2. can you add chili powder to duck food? i heard it helps chickens
So with the wheezing and sneezing- what bedding are they on and do they have access to this pool all the time? Are they waterproofed or do they get wet?
They really need water deep enough to dunk there heads all the time, because they will get things, dust, downy feathers, all sorts, stuck in their nares and need water to help flush them out. It will also keep their eyes clear for the same reasons.
If they have the pool always available, that could be a problem too if they arent fully waterproofed and getting wet/chilled. At 4 weeks, they should still be supervised during swim times and kept warm.
I wouldn't move them outside until they are feathered, unless you have a predator proof brooder/housing and the weather is very warm.

For the other questions,
1. Spend lots of time with them, try not to pick them up unless you have to. Rather, sit by them and let them warm up to you. You could read, or play an app on your phone, if they're inside you could watch tv! Anything. Eventually try giving them treats, (as long as they have chick grit available), but let them come to you. Eventually, they're likely to come over and become curious, once they know you arent a threat. And you'll be able to offer the treats and from there try to touch them. Instead of reaching over their heads, because they are prey animals, try to stroke under their heads gently, their necks and tummies.

2. Why do you wish to? I dont know if thats safe, but personally I wouldnt.

So with the wheezing and sneezing- what bedding are they on and do they have access to this pool all the time? Are they waterproofed or do they get wet?
They really need water deep enough to dunk there heads all the time, because they will get things, dust, downy feathers, all sorts, stuck in their nares and need water to help flush them out. It will also keep their eyes clear for the same reasons.
If they have the pool always available, that could be a problem too if they arent fully waterproofed and getting wet/chilled. At 4 weeks, they should still be supervised during swim times and kept warm.
I wouldn't move them outside until they are feathered, unless you have a predator proof brooder/housing and the weather is very warm.

For the other questions,
1. Spend lots of time with them, try not to pick them up unless you have to. Rather, sit by them and let them warm up to you. You could read, or play an app on your phone, if they're inside you could watch tv! Anything. Eventually try giving them treats, (as long as they have chick grit available), but let them come to you. Eventually, they're likely to come over and become curious, once they know you arent a threat. And you'll be able to offer the treats and from there try to touch them. Instead of reaching over their heads, because they are prey animals, try to stroke under their heads gently, their necks and tummies.

2. Why do you wish to? I dont know if thats safe, but personally I wouldnt.
i said inside they have straw bedding, the pool is outside, on the grass
they don't have access to it all the time because i supervise when they swim and today is 35 celsius so i let them swim early (before i would fill the pool with water and wait so it gets a bit warmer) but i think they will be fine because 35 celsius. now they are inside (not my house, a different building but it's brick so for sure colder than outside) because it's colder there. is over 20 celsius warm enough for mullard ducks?? because now i let them go outside if it's over 20° because i read that at 3 weeks old they need at least this temp
1.thanks :D i will try this in the evening
2. i heard it is a natural remedy thing, you put a bit in chicken food and it's healthy for their mucous membrane and has vitamins, but i'm not sure if it's like this for ducks too

i said inside they have straw bedding, the pool is outside, on the grass
they don't have access to it all the time because i supervise when they swim and today is 35 celsius so i let them swim early (before i would fill the pool with water and wait so it gets a bit warmer) but i think they will be fine because 35 celsius. now they are inside (not my house, a different building but it's brick so for sure colder than outside) because it's colder there. is over 20 celsius warm enough for mullard ducks?? because now i let them go outside if it's over 20° because i read that at 3 weeks old they need at least this temp
1.thanks :D i will try this in the evening
2. i heard it is a natural remedy thing, you put a bit in chicken food and it's healthy for their mucous membrane and has vitamins, but i'm not sure if it's like this for ducks too
I would try giving them a waterer where they can dunk their heads, and see if that makes any difference. If we know they have water to clear their nares, and the sneezing/wheezing doesn't die down, we may want to consider other, respiratory causes. Do they have any discharge from their nares or eyes? I should have asked this before. Im fairly sure this is due to not being able to dunk their heads, which is important- but we should make sure there arent other factors.
As for the chili powder, Im just not sure. Let me @Miss Lydia

I would try giving them a waterer where they can dunk their heads, and see if that makes any difference. If we know they have water to clear their nares, and the sneezing/wheezing doesn't die down, we may want to consider other, respiratory causes. Do they have any discharge from their nares or eyes? I should have asked this before. Im fairly sure this is due to not being able to dunk their heads, which is important- but we should make sure there arent other factors.
As for the chili powder, Im just not sure. Let me @Miss Lydia
i heard wheezing right after they used the pool :/ and they don't have any discharge for their nares or eyes

i heard wheezing right after they used the pool :/ and they don't have any discharge for their nares or eyes
can you describe it? The wheezing?
If you hold the duckling that is doing it, and look through the nares, do you see anything that could be blocking them? Do they look clear? Is the wheezing pretty much all the time?

Ducklings def need a deep container to clean out their nares and eyes and they should have this all the time easy to make a waterer for them you can use a plastic container since yours are older ducklings and large they need one deeper than this but this gives you an idea on what to make. Giving them a deep container may just clear up the wheezing I'd try that first. Put the container on a tray to catch any water it will keep their bedding dryer. There is VetRX which is for poultry similar to vicks for humans.
8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg

can you describe it? The wheezing?
If you hold the duckling that is doing it, and look through the nares, do you see anything that could be blocking them? Do they look clear? Is the wheezing pretty much all the time?
it either sounds raspy or whistly like when you have something in your nose and it does this sound. i hope this description is clear enough, if not i could try uploading a recording to youtube but idk if it will even upload because of poor internet. now i hear the whistle more often than the raspy cough like sound. the wheezing isn't all the time

i didn't look through the nares because last time i picked them up was a week ago because they seem to really dislike it but i can try later today

Ducklings def need a deep container to clean out their nares and eyes and they should have this all the time easy to make a waterer for them you can use a plastic container since yours are older ducklings and large they need one deeper than this but this gives you an idea on what to make. Giving them a deep container may just clear up the wheezing I'd try that first. Put the container on a tray to catch any water it will keep their bedding dryer. There is VetRX which is for poultry similar to vicks for humans. View attachment 3194308
then why do i hear wheezing when they have access to the pool?? D: i will change their waterer and put a tray under it tho, thx for the idea on the picture
i looked up vetRX and i can't buy it in poland, will look for something similar

update

i gave them a deeper waterer but now i noticed there's one duck panting with water coming out of its nose but not wheezing, and now i'm not sure if there's one or multiple wheezing ducks idk what should i do

Back
Top Bottom