Dying chickens

pineirafarms

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2024
My flock has been taking a big hit. I haven’t seen any symptoms in my chickens but every other day or every day lately we have several chickens dead. We thought it was the heat so we took all measures necessary to help with that. Still dying. We reduced our rooster ratio. Still dying. We’ve lost over half our flock. They free range in a fenced are and have a coop building. What could be doing this?

My flock has been taking a big hit. I haven’t seen any symptoms in my chickens but every other day or every day lately we have several chickens dead. We thought it was the heat so we took all measures necessary to help with that. Still dying. We reduced our rooster ratio. Still dying. We’ve lost over half our flock. They free range in a fenced are and have a coop building. What could be doing this?
I’m so sorry this is happening! What do you feed them? @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous

Have you checked their necks and for two small puncture wounds? Usually not noticeable unless you are actively looking for them? What are you feeding them? What type of waterer are you using? Do they have ventilated shade?

Have you checked their necks and for two small puncture wounds? Usually not noticeable unless you are actively looking for them? What are you feeding them? What type of waterer are you using? Do they have ventilated shade?
I have not! Are you thinking snake? They eat dumor all flock pellets. We use a 5 gallon waterer from tractor supply but they also have a kiddy pool and a water bowl in the run. They have ventilated shade all day.

Sorry for the losses. Where are you located? Most state vet labs will perform a necropsy/autopsy on a chicken’s body if kept cold on ice in a cooler, and taken in or sent overnight to the lab as soon as possible. They test for diseases, do cultures to look for infection, and look at the organs for any clues. Here is a list of state vets to call and discuss how to get one:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom