ear mites

cglessner

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
Burnt Cabins PA
My neighbor has a hen that falls over, walks in circles but otherwise seems fine. I read that these symptoms indicate ear mites. How do you treat ear mites?

My neighbor has a hen that falls over, walks in circles but otherwise seems fine. I read that these symptoms indicate ear mites. How do you treat ear mites?

With more attention on my part, there are a few things that can cause that problem. Encephalomalacia which is caused by a Vitamin E deficiency can cause those symptoms. A vitamin E cap given once a day and poultry vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic powder in water for a week should clear symptoms up if no brain damage is done. I've also seen birds exhibit similar symptoms when going through a difficult moult. Birds drink less in Winter, so a good moult supplement added to feed should be used like some of these found here: http://www.jedds.com/-strse-Supplem...ditioning-cln-Feather-Moulting/Categories.bok
I've found they work better than just adding a grower or gamebird ration.

How do you know if it's a vitamin e deficiency compared to ear mites? My hen is showing symptoms of this. She acts like she had vertigo, but can run across the yard fine. When she stops, she starts to tip and catches herself with her wings or sits back on her haunches. She shows no signs of illness otherwise- but did lay an egg last night with no shell. She has the dizziness last fall and it went away. She may have had access to water softener salt water a few days ago. I considered salt poisoning- but she had drank a lot of clean water since with no improvement. Thanks for input- I know this is an older post!

How do you know if it's a vitamin e deficiency compared to ear mites? My hen is showing symptoms of this. She acts like she had vertigo, but can run across the yard fine. When she stops, she starts to tip and catches herself with her wings or sits back on her haunches. She shows no signs of illness otherwise- but did lay an egg last night with no shell. She has the dizziness last fall and it went away. She may have had access to water softener salt water a few days ago. I considered salt poisoning- but she had drank a lot of clean water since with no improvement. Thanks for input- I know this is an older post!
With ear mites they usualy shake there head with her laying egg like that sounds like she needs vitamin supplements

I've got a new adopted hen shaking her head alot. I'm thinking ear mites. I've treated her for vent mites and lice and bumble foot. I may try the oil but was curious about the pyrethrin that you talk about. I've used this before for lice and i really like it. I've got liquid form of this could i also use it for ear mites?

Back
Top Bottom