EEs -- how old was yours when she started laying?

21 weeks, but I second the earlier post that said b/c EEs are mutts, they will vary a lot. Mine lays beautiful turquoise eggs, and lays nearly every day, even with shorter light.

Mine started laying on Sunday (Pretty Green), she is 23 weeks, waiting for the other two to get on the band wagon, hoping for a Blue from one of the other two.
fl.gif

Quote:
Some descend from EEs but lay brown eggs. How often it happens depends a great deal on the breeding program. This is how I understand it to work... blue is dominant so it will express if the bird has the gene. If you have a hen that inherited the brown egg gene and the blue egg gene, she lays green eggs. Now, if you breed her to a roo that also carries both egg genes, you'll get some pullet chicks that lay blue (blue and blue), some green (brown and blue), and some brown (brown and brown). If you instead breed her to a roo that carries blue only, you'll get only blue and green layers.

Just yesterday I posted that my 29 wk old EE had yet to lay an egg, but today this is what I found in a nest box.....
95904_403.jpg

The color doesn't show well, it is a minty green. Woot!

Last year my EE took 32 wks, pretty much the norm from what i've read. She laid regular for awk or so.Then it snowed and she quit for months.

Back
Top Bottom