Egg color question

Lor

Crowing
Mar 23, 2022
South East USA
All our hens are brown egg layers. The last week or two we are getting a near white to white egg from (someone) one of them. Is this something to worry about (a deficiency) or it just happens sometimes?
Edited to add: Just checked the white ones and the shells are strong.

If you look at the size and shape of the white eggs you may see that it matches the size and shape of a particular hen(s) brown eggs. I can tell by size and shape which hen laid which egg even when they're the same color.

Of course, I have a flock of 15 laying hens, and the most of any individual color I have is 6. I wish they all laid large or extra large well rounded/pointed eggs with uniform shape and size, but such is not the case. I can tell which hen laid which egg in my egg basket, and when my green egger runs out of brown "paint" and lays a blue egg, I can tell by shape which one is hers. I've also had my brown eggers run out of dark brown or speckling "paint" and lay light tan or unspeckled eggs also. It happens, nothing to be worried about. Her paint shop should eventually go back to normal.

All our hens are brown egg layers. The last week or two we are getting a near white to white egg from (someone) one of them. Is this something to worry about (a deficiency) or it just happens sometimes?
Edited to add: Just checked the white ones and the shells are strong.
All eggs start out white (except true blue ones, see example below).. and the brown is a coating that gets applied.. (Notice the inside of the very brown eggs are still white) it's shade can vary throughout the lay cycle.. getting lighter as more eggs are laid and the pigment gets used up too fast.. especially during the high lay season. It may also be darker or darkest on the first egg after a break in the cycle.

See the following link for some fantastic information and great explanations.. noting (some of) these MUST be aproximations.. considering some breeds lay higher amounts than every 25 hours..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Image from google..
Coloured-Eggshells-showing-Inside-is-White_805x480.jpg

For egg color specifically.. see also the original link of previous pic..

https://poultrykeeper.com/keeping-chickens/chicken-eggshell-colours/

If you look at the size and shape of the white eggs you may see that it matches the size and shape of a particular hen(s) brown eggs. I can tell by size and shape which hen laid which egg even when they're the same color.

I'm not sure I'll be able to tell whose egg is whose. Was easy when there were only 4 hens but not with 11. LOL

Back
Top Bottom