Electric fencing

Jchantecler

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Hey everybody. Recently I set up a couple coops with electric fencing. I have had birds get tangled in it before, some died and some didn't. The biggest problems I have encountered with it are when a predator scares the birds inside, they run into the fence, the bends down, and the predator hops over and eats them. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or advice?

Like the above post stated, it might be a good idea to run like a chain link fence or even welded wire around your run, then place the electric fencing on the outside of that to keep critters from trying to scale the wall.

In the summer I use the electrified poultry netting around my tractor. I don't have too many predators, things are fairly quiet around here. What I have found that works is to place your electric fencing so that the coop is in the center of the fence (my set up is a 8x14 tractorcoop in the center of the netting which is 160 feet long.) If a predator comes near the fence, the chickens will run for the coop, not the fence. Did that make sense? Anyway. I have not had any issues with birds getting tangled in the fence, but a few poor frogs have not made it over. Make sure your fencer pulses....that way, they have a chance to get away. Usually, if a predator touches the electric netting, they get enough of a zap that they have no interest in the birds anymore.
edited to add: What type of predators are you dealing with?

Last edited:
Most animals unless trained to respect an electric fence will just go right through it. We have a 1500 pound bull that won't even get near one strand of electric, and we have goats that know if they go real fast they most likely won't take a hit. You have to fence for the appropriate situation- we can keep goats in with 5 strands spaced close together and 1 strand to cross fence cattle pasture. Just having chickens hang up and die in the fence seems like a bad situation- your chickens would be better served with a welded wire or field fence. We free range our chickens but we employ 2 LGD's for protection and rarely lose any chickens.

Thank you. I am seeing that I will need another fence within. I did originally buy it so I would be able to move it, otherwise I would have just bought a wire. I have some friends who only use that fence, and have been quite successful. I really appreciate your input. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom