EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

Pics
Check for a soft-shell egg too,
chicken_anatomy_model.jpg

She has not passed anything. She is exactly as she was yesterday. I am thanking God that she survived the night. She is very hungry, and she is still straining but I am scared to give her any food. There are strange fluids dripping out of her vent, my mother thinks they seem like egg whites but I think it is because she hasn't eaten. If there is a broken egg in her, do we give her antibiotics?
It is really hard to know without pictures…. If she has a broken egg inside her she will need antibiotics straight away. Keep giving the calcium which will help expel the egg remains (if it is a broken egg) and keep her hydrated. Also add some sugar to her water. As casportpony said, you would expect to see some yolk. Pictures would be really helpful.

Her vent is very dirty in the image. It doesn't matter how many times we clean it she keeps getting it all yucky again.

Attachments

• IMG-7126.jpg
    IMG-7126.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 9
We are going to give her a warm water soak first to clean it off and see if she has an egg stuck. I will try to get one after that.

We are going to give her a warm water soak first to clean it off and see if she has an egg stuck. I will try to get one after that.
Do you have any Epsom salt? I think an Epsom salt bath would be perfect in this situation, it will clean, relax and help expel.

I have already put Epsom salt in the water. I am waiting for the water to cool off a bit. Our water system is acting up so I had to bring water in from the rain barrel and heat it up.

There is no need to soak her if you do not feel an egg. Soaking a hen that is not feeling well, and does not have a stuck egg, can be harmful.

Last edited:
There is no need to soak her if you do not feel an egg. Soaking a hen that is not feeling well, and does not have a stuck egg, can be harmful.
This is true. If I ever need to give an Epsom salt bath, I blow dry them on the cool setting so they don’t get a chill, my girls love it. Maybe just clean around her vent area with the Epsom salt water.

Back
Top Bottom