EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

I tried the belt idea with the chicken. I'm not sure right now if the actual belt is what is keeping her from prolapsing, or if she is just so distracted by how uncomfy it is that she is not thinking about trying to push it out. I discovered exactly how lively she actually still is.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything to block the vent. She needs to poop and if there is still material blocking the oviduct, it needs to be able to come out.

Continue the calcium for now. I've had lots of experience with prolapse. The longest it took for the prolapse to resolve and finally go back in and stay in was around nine days.

There isn't anything to block the vent. There is no egg, either soft or hard-shelled, and she is still pooping. I did put a slit in front of the vent so she can still poop. What does worry me is that there is something crusted around it that isn't actually blocking it. it looks like crusted poop but when we clean it off it starts to bleed a little. I am not sure if it is a giant scab or if it is crusted poop.

I’m sorry you and your hen are going through this. I’ve been where you are and my girl bounced back. If you want to take her to a vet (you mentioned one in Portland so I assume you are in Oregon) Creekside Veterinary Clinic is in Keizer and have always been good to us when we’ve taken chickens in. I don't know what area you’re in but they’d be worth a call. One thing we did when Sunburst prolapsed was put some kind of cream, I don’t remember what it was called, but it was for hemorrhoids, around the vent area and that really helped get her back in place. Good luck with your sweet chicken.

Thank you. We are in Columbia county. Is that far from the vet you mentioned? Do they charge a lot? I know my parents aren't going to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a chicken no matter how much she means to us.

Thank you. We are in Columbia county. Is that far from the vet you mentioned? Do they charge a lot? I know my parents aren't going to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a chicken no matter how much she means to us.
Looks like it’d be about an hour and 55 minute drive for you. I don’t remember how much they cost though.

Back
Top Bottom