Falconry anyone? 🦅

Pics
I know this is an old post, but I figured I'd chime in. I've been working with birds of prey for over a decade, and have been an active falconer since 2018. A couple things I saw in this thread that you may find interesting:

• While owls are primarily nocturnal or crepuscular (out during dawn and dusk), the daytime sun does not hurt their eyes and they will absolutely hunt in daytime if they're hungry. Few people choose to hunt with them, as their hunting style is vastly different from hawks and falcons, and typically its much more difficult to be successful with them.
  • @RoosterWhisperer , you could absolutely hunt with an American Kestrel once you've finished your apprenticeship in Washington. The weather is not too harsh there, as they live there year-round (check American Kestrel range map I added below)
  • americankestrelmap.jpeg
  • While it may feel like it's harder to obtain a raptor for falconry in North America, I find the sponsor/apprentice program in the US as beneficial for falconry overall. I find that it creates more people who actually want to hunt with their birds, whereas I find that in England where it's easier to obtain a raptor, there are far more "pet keepers". I'm not against pet keeping, but it's not the same as falconry.
If you have any questions for me I'd be happy to answer them here for you! I'll add a few photos of birds I've worked with or handled in the past here. ◡̈ Nice to meet you all!

AC130.jpeg
Alejandro.jpeg
Mia.jpeg Shadow.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom