Faverolles Thread

Quote:
He definitely went about it the wrong way, but I too would be pretty irritated if I was selling chicks at 'straight run' prices and they thought they could come pick out all pullets, sticking me with all the boys. JMO But then on the other hand, I also don't let anyone near my brooders, you get what you get.
hmm.png

Quote:
That is what I don't understand, I guess. How can anyone sell a sex-linked chick as straight-run?

And when you say you don't let anyone near your brooders- how do people select their chicks? Or perhaps do you select the chicks for them? That seems like a conflict of interest (not you specifically but anyone using this method) because an experienced person dealing with a sex-link variety would probably know the sex of the chicks.

I am not trying to be obtuse, I just really do not understand. I am new to the chicken world.

Quote:
That is what I don't understand, I guess. How can anyone sell a sex-linked chick as straight-run?

And when you say you don't let anyone near your brooders- how do people select their chicks? Or perhaps do you select the chicks for them? That seems like a conflict of interest (not you specifically but anyone using this method) because an experienced person dealing with a sex-link variety would probably know the sex of the chicks.

I am not trying to be obtuse, I just really do not understand. I am new to the chicken world.

There are people that have been breeding for a very long time that can sex them as day olds, but I find that I cannot be 100% on them until they are around 2 weeks of age, at which point, obviously I would not be selling them as straight run anymore. As far as I can see at hatch time they all look exactly the same (except for the boys that will be really dark that have the bit of dark down on their backs at hatch) and therefore are sold as straight run until I can tell otherwise.

And no, I do not let people near my brooders, lord knows what they could bring in from their birds and infect mine with. If people think that I am being dishonest, then they don't need to buy from me.

Quote:
I can't stand it!! They got so big so fast! The boys have so much color! They certainly look like they are enjoying the yard and all the greenery. Thanks so much for all the pics - I'm so glad you like them!

Quote:
I have a Question, how are they sex linked? can you tale me how please? pics will help me too ! will this work on salmon faverolle as well ??

Quote:
I have a Question, how are they sex linked? can you tale me how please? pics will help me too ! will this work on salmon faverolle as well ??

Salmons are the ones that are sex linked, meaning that the males and females are different colors, but they are all yellow at hatch.
smile.png

Quote:
I can't stand it!! They got so big so fast! The boys have so much color! They certainly look like they are enjoying the yard and all the greenery. Thanks so much for all the pics - I'm so glad you like them!

They did get really big!! Probably because hey eat constantly! LOL Everytime I look at them, they are eating. But thank you for letting me have these guys. I really am enjoying them! I know they were your babies!!! They have an adopted older brother now that keeps tabs on them. They of course never listen to him! LOL

Lana,
I'm sorry you didn't like my response but I do believe I can say what will go on with a prospective buyer. Salmon Faverolles are sex-linked and maybe, maybe a very experienced breeder could do justice to identifying such but I have very serious doubts that someone who has never bred them could do much. My chicks become ambiguous (like Pat from SNL) for quite some time after about the 3 day mark which I don't even pay attention to. I'm not looking to sell just pullets at the price I offered. Why should I? I can grow them up to the fall and offer them @ $125. a kick. Yea, you read that correct. You should go back on this thread and read. You should go back to the ad you referenced and read the comments at the bottom. My birds are being sought after as very revered blood stock to reproduce. All over. That is my intent when I'm making an offer. Someone that can not have males doesn't do that now does it. For the record. No I was not just trying to sell off males. When matured they too will go for the same price as a started pullet. I didn't respond to your last response as I don't think it was anything but intended rudeness when you implied I was stupid for offering them as str8 run......Especially in consideration you've never bred them.

Those that know me even a bit on this forum will tell you I'm being rather nice. Especially since you chose to air half the story out here. Now you go about your biz and leave Peter alone.
smile.png

Peter

Quote:
You are free to do what you want with your own birds, of course. I just wanted some of them because they were pretty and I thought I might be able to show one if I got lucky. I can't breed them because I can't have a rooster, truly. When I move again I will get some acreage and then I will do some breeding and have all the roosters I want, but right now I live on 2/3 of an acre and have nosy neighbors. I would honestly LOVE to have a rooster, especially a salmon fav roo because of how docile they are supposed to be and how beautiful they are.

I never meant to imply you were stupid - I was asking a question. The way you read it is all on you. I brought the question here because you didn't answer. Take note that I was not trying to slander you, I purposefully never mentioned your name and tried not to give away any details about you whatsoever. My question was answered by Cloverleaf Farms. I didn't know they went through an ambiguous phase and I didn't know that some people do not let buyers pick their own chicks. That is where my confusion laid.

I'll now 'leave Peter alone'. I will end this post the same as I ended my message. You would not have made a fortune selling your birds to me, but I would have treasured them.

Back
Top Bottom