Feeling guilty winterizing...

DoodlesDuckies

Songster
Apr 17, 2024
Northcentral Wisconsin
I am slowly getting ready for our crazy northcentral Wisconsin weather. I had a kiddie pool in their run, they loved it. I pulled it last weekend. :( The disappointment on their faces when they went in that night was obvious. Pure disgust. :hmm They have always had food and water at night. I pulled that last night. :( I let them out this morning and they were RUNNING all over quacking like crazy and all 7 had their heads in the kiddie pools drinking like they haven't had water in days. I felt horrible. They have the run of 5 acres all day and food out to eat with water buckets. I have read on here that people pull their food and water at night. Is this something they will get used too?

My 2 geese who are housed at night separate adjusted beautifully when I pulled their food and water at night. ZERO DRAMA.

Back to my question....will they adjust themselves to no food or water at night in the hut? Is this just normal duck drama?

Thanks

Ducks don't like change. This is pretty normal duck drama for them. Ducks often have a flair for the dramatic. You can give them anything they like and they will act like they have been deprived of it for years. I have never given my ducks water or food at night. None of them have had any issues. Often when I would let them out for the morning, they would run straight past the water and head out to forage.

Ducks don't like change. This is pretty normal duck drama for them. Ducks often have a flair for the dramatic. You can give them anything they like and they will act like they have been deprived of it for years. I have never given my ducks water or food at night. None of them have had any issues. Often when I would let them out for the morning, they would run straight past the water and head out to forage.
I just get a little worried with the lack of daylight we are getting into and the amount of time they will spend in their huts. Soon it will be dark at 4pm and not light again until 7am. Winters are a touch brutal in these parts but again...adjustments will need to be made.

Mealworms are a nightmare. You would think they are STARVING to death when they hear the bag. And they literally hunt you down, quack nonstop and follow you around until you get the bag.

I keep telling myself they are built for this, they will be fine, they will adjust and don't give in to their tantrums. The duck tantrums get me every time. I am a sucker for a pouting duck.

Thank You for your response. Those are far and few between on here.

Back
Top Bottom