Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

That's good to hear! I was hoping that no permanent damage was done. As I understand it, the castor oil acts as a stimulant on the skin's surface, causing more blood to come there.....could be that it helped circulation.

I love watching roos "find" food for the ladies...oh, if only human males would want to fatten us up like that!
gig.gif

That's good to hear!  I was hoping that no permanent damage was done.  As I understand it, the castor oil acts as a stimulant on the skin's surface, causing more blood to come there.....could be that it helped circulation.

I love watching roos "find" food for the ladies...oh, if only human males would want to fatten us up like that!  :gig

I truly believe that the CO made a big difference in helping minimize the damage to his comb. Once I get pics, you'll see that it isn't nearly as bad looking as what I thought it would be. Considering when I first seen the frostbite, it was mostly black and I figured he would lose the entire top of his comb. A lot of the red appears to be back, at least most of it just below the tips anyway.

Good morning everybody. Hope you're all doing well.

Ran across a old book posted on another thread, pretty interesting.

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...view=1up;seq=15;skin=mobile#page/n14/mode/1up

I read a few pages and found some interesting info about finishing meat birds on milk and ground corn. Buttermilk was even better, of course. I even saw that fermenting feed was mentioned. Something I didn't know, they use to implant meat chickens with hormones too. It tells about how the rooster's comb/wattles would lose color and shrink. I guess it took a while to see that hormones given to animals meant for food would effect the people eating it.

Good morning everybody. Hope you're all doing well.

Ran across a old book posted on another thread, pretty interesting.

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...view=1up;seq=15;skin=mobile#page/n14/mode/1up

I read a few pages and found some interesting info about finishing meat birds on milk and ground corn. Buttermilk was even better, of course. I even saw that fermenting feed was mentioned. Something I didn't know, they use to implant meat chickens with hormones too. It tells about how the rooster's comb/wattles would lose color and shrink. I guess it took a while to see that hormones given to animals meant for food would effect the people eating it.
Hormones were used to caponize roosters.

frow.gif
Morning Everyone!

Kassaundra, did you change your avatar again? I like it! I love the pictures!

Hope everyone is feeling better.

Lisa :)

Yes, it was a self portrait I took this week. I had not ever done self portraits and really wanted to experiment w/ low key w/o studio equipment. This was one of my two favorites. The other one reminds me of an old world painting. I specifically wanted to do pig tails in my portrait, and after I was finished I had to go to the store and just kept the pig tails in, and kept getting sideways looks from people, you'd have thought they had never seen silver (well 1/2 silver) pig tails!!! lol lol lol

Back
Top Bottom