So for my 55 I think I’m gonna do the 4 betta maybe get some more as I love them so much lol 12 pristella
10-12 Cory’s (not sure on the exact ones) 5-6 kuhli loaches 6 black neon tetras and 6 normal neons (may go just 12 black) and possibly a small school of black skirt or white skirt tetras.
I love Kuhlis. They are my favorite fish.
IMG_20240518_125651730~2.jpg

This photo was taken during a deep clean that I recently did.

IMG_20240616_224426825.jpg

The little ones like shrimp pellets.

Aquahuna sells them online, and they're really good quality. I have ordered several times from the company, including Kuhli loaches, and have only had a couple snails arrive dead. I got a prompt refund.
My local petsmart has a bunch of them my petsmart actually knows what their doing never seen a dead fish even in the feeders and the associates try and get people to get appropriate fish fir their tank size all fish look healthy even the bettas

My local petsmart has a bunch of them my petsmart actually knows what their doing never seen a dead fish even in the feeders and the associates try and get people to get appropriate fish fir their tank size all fish look healthy even the bettas
We don't have a LFS just Petco/PetSmart/Pet Supplies Plus chain stores. The fish are usually so stressed that they die quickly.

I got tired of buying carbon filters so I just kept occasionally rinsing the one I had in a hanging filter so it was pretty much bio-filtration at that point. It kept the water moving and with occasional 10 to 15% water changes it seemed to be fine.
Carbon is overrated, not needed for most setups. I had Penguin and then Eheim OTB filters for years, just used the sponge inserts. I loved my Eheim canister, but retired it earlier this year and went to all sponge filters. It's hard for me to access where the canister needed to be, and sponge filters are easier on my knees and back.

In the 75 G tank we had, there was a regular filter and 2 sponge filters. In the 30 g tank with swordtails and mollies it was just sponge filters and they thrived
I love sponge filters. I rinse them in water siphoned from the tank about every other week or so. No issues with ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, but my aquariums are also heavily planted with Java Fern.

Last edited:
This is my 29g. It has +/-15 Ember tetras, Kuhli loaches, one surviving Glowlight tetra (7 years old), Red cherry shrimp (RCS), and a few Nerite snails:
IMG_20240628_132330399~2.jpg

Here's my 15g. It has chocolate Kuhlis and RCS:
IMG_20240628_132417942~2.jpg

And my 5.5g RCS tank. I also use it as a quarantine tank when I have ordered new fish:
IMG_20240628_132444687~3.jpg

IMG_20240628_133115590_HDR~2.jpg

The two larger tanks have two sponge filters apiece, the 5.5 has one sponge filter and a small OTB filter with a prefilter sponge, no media inside the filter. The shrimp and snails go up into the front of the OTB filter, where the water returns to the aquarium, and eat any algae or fungal growths there.

I'm wondering if the algae build up was a signal to something going on like too much nitrate build up.

*also to follow an earlier post I made, water testing isn't a bad idea, but just wanted to add that I don't have hard water here. A friend down in KC had terrible water. I didn't have to worry about changing water or going a full 24/48 hrs of running a filter, whereas if my friend changed not even 5% of his water the fish were either dying or on the verge of it.
We have hard water here. So chiclids were basically the only thing that lived besides, snails and shrimp.
We would sometimes get water from out of town for it

Back
Top Bottom