In my two and a half years of owning chickens, I have never lost one. I’ve lost tons of guineas, but for me, they are replaceable.

A rat snake took two of my babies. Phoenix, and one of the Ayam Cemani’s. I am pissed. Dad killed it, and we have a strict rule to never harm non venomous snakes.

I’ve not been home yet, but I can only hope that Willow is doing okay.

I’m still in the car, and I’ve not shed a single tear yet, but I can tell that when I get home that I will. Phoenix was a pretty bird (and she was blue! I want blue chickens so badly, and when I finally get one, a stupid snake kills it.) and she had muffs.

And whoever the AC was, she a special bird. I’m not sure if this is the one that died, but here are pictures of Phoenix and the Ayam Cemani. View attachment 3825688View attachment 3825689
Looks to me like I’m going to be hatching more Bolt eggs this summer.
So sorry this happened. I would not normally kill a black snake either but I can understand his motivations. :hugs :hugs

Happy Caturday everyone.

I have been keeping a secret.
Welcome to the world to Trixie's 5 little ones.
DSCN3071.JPG
DSCN3072.JPG
DSCN3073.JPG

12 hours Trixie, you missed Rosie's birthday by 12 hours.

Yes I stated that Trixie was getting fixed after Keeper's litter. He was born August 18th. A week later the mom, dad, Rosie and Grandma came down with covid which resulted in Grandma being admitted to the hospital for a week. When she came home bedridden well, everything got put on the back burner. Life revolved around grandma and all the animals including my chickens were I hate to say it, but a after thought. Thankfully Trixie never came back into heat until the beginning of March. We kept her up the first day, but she howled and screamed. You could hear her everywhere in the house. Unfortunately this was when grandma's anxieties were at its peak. She was on vailum then, but, every time Trixie meowed, grandma went off. She was seeing and hearing things then and the noises made her think something was coming after her. Mom snapped and threw her outside. Trixie now has a spay appointment. Mom called the vet yesterday while she was giving birth and it is 2 months out. Poor Keeper, he does not know it yet, but he gets the big snip for his birthday.

Happy Caturday everyone.

I have been keeping a secret.
Welcome to the world to Trixie's 5 little ones.
View attachment 3828580View attachment 3828582View attachment 3828583
12 hours Trixie, you missed Rosie's birthday by 12 hours.

Yes I stated that Trixie was getting fixed after Keeper's litter. He was born August 18th. A week later the mom, dad, Rosie and Grandma came down with covid which resulted in Grandma being admitted to the hospital for a week. When she came home bedridden well, everything got put on the back burner. Life revolved around grandma and all the animals including my chickens were I hate to say it, but an after thought. Thankfully Trixie never came back into heat until the beginning of March. We kept her up the first day, but she howled and screamed. You could hear her everywhere in the house. Unfortunately this was when grandma's anxieties were at its peak. She was on vailum then, but, every time Trixie meowed, grandma went off. She was seeing and hearing things then and the noises made her think something was coming after her. Mom snapped and threw her outside. Trixie now has a spay appointment. Mom called the vet yesterday while she was giving birth and it is 2 months out. Poor Keeper, he does not know it yet, but he gets the big snip for his birthday.
She looks pretty proud of herself!
And well she might, they look nice and chubby so she must be feeding them well.
They are of course adorable.
🥰 🥰

Rhode Island reds have blonde wing tips in their first feathers. They lose those in their 9(ish) week moult. I'm not saying she's RIR, but if she has any in her ancestry (possible: hambar from Hampshire, from RIR) then the wingtips are very possible.

The video yesterday made me think she's going to pop a light crest (like Storm and Cumulo)
Yes! I was thinking she might have a crest also - sometimes I can see that.

She is definitely not an Americana.

Well it will be interesting seeing her get older!

Cute, but no. I think a tiny crest is coming. The hambar is more likely...except for the maybe crest.
and today I caught her up and looked at her head to see if it looks like a crest, and now I am not so sure 🤨

Back
Top Bottom