Yah! Why can’t they let me sleep in on the weekend?! Really is it too much to ask to just sleep in until 6:30?

But no, I get to the barn and everyone is wild with impatience! The horses are finally at that age (old) were they would rather just stay inside anyways.

Please explain why my midnight majesty Marans chick is sporting spots? And what the heck is with that awesome comb?!

@RebeccaBoyd !!!! Tell me is it normal for Marans and Marans crosses to sport such lovely combs on pullets at almost 5 weeks?

@SimpleJenn !!! Did you midnight majesty Maran chick look like this? With spots? And an awesome comb???

View attachment 3877813View attachment 3877815View attachment 3877814

And check out those hairy legs 🥰 just like mine teeheehee!
Nope? That one is a fella...the boys are barred. Midnight Majesty Marans are sex linked with barred rock or cuckoo Marans. So yep, boy.
Baby Shep
20230908_110600.jpg
20230915_135800.jpg
20230921_163900.jpg
20230924_160055.jpg

Yah! Why can’t they let me sleep in on the weekend?! Really is it too much to ask to just sleep in until 6:30?

But no, I get to the barn and everyone is wild with impatience! The horses are finally at that age (old) were they would rather just stay inside anyways.

Please explain why my midnight majesty Marans chick is sporting spots? And what the heck is with that awesome comb?!

@RebeccaBoyd !!!! Tell me is it normal for Marans and Marans crosses to sport such lovely combs on pullets at almost 5 weeks?

@SimpleJenn !!! Did you midnight majesty Maran chick look like this? With spots? And an awesome comb???

Maran crosses can have big combs, do not freak out. I see color which could be concerning. I am not concerned yet though. Why? Because while yes, larger comb and hint of color one key thing is missing. There is no hint of wattles, none. Early wattles go with a large colored comb at this age and younger with male Marans and their crosses. I think you are good.

Oh right, Mystic Marans are a Barred Rock cross, I forgot about that. Umm, well, throw everything I said in the previous post out the window. Can we have a side photo to see if that is truly barring showing up. I still think a male would have wattles already though. Both Barred Rocks and Marans have big wattles and combs. A cockerels should be showing by 5 weeks.

Ok I am a idiot, side picture here. This chick confuses me. I see what could be the hint of barring. I have also had Marans have white frosting for just a week or two in one of their many juvenile molts that disappears. If this was truly barring wouldn't it be over the entire body?

Oh right, Mystic Marans are a Barred Rock cross, I forgot about that. Umm, well, throw everything I said in the previous post out the window. Can we have a side photo to see if that is truly barring showing up. I still think a male would have wattles already though. Both Barred Rocks and Marans have big wattles and combs. A cockerels should be showing by 5 weeks.
I took this video Friday afternoon.

What do you think?

Ok I am a idiot, side picture here. This chick confuses me. I see what could be the hint of barring. I have also had Marans have white frosting for just a week or two in one of their many juvenile molts that disappears. If this was truly barring wouldn't it be over the entire body?
It’s like she has white spots all over like an Appaloosa.

The midnight majesty marans looks like it has a hint of barring, versus spots. Might have a touch of Cuckoo marans in him/her??

EDIT: I see later someon posted they have BR in them. I think there is a hint of barring - but it could also be a passing phase in a juvenile molt. I have had (actually, do right now ) a couple French BCM pullets who look like they went to a feather dresser and got 'frosted'.

Unfortunately, I am really thinking that it looks like light cuckoo type barring (i.e. not crisp like BR), maybe a 'muddier' barring given the cross? Again, though, not a hint of waddles. So....I say wait a couple more weeks, and you will probably know for sure then. :idunno :idunno

Yes, my marnas have always seemed to pop combs early, but @RebeccaBoyd would be more experienced with them. I think it has a roo stance in the first pic...BUT no waddles, so I think 'pullet' for now

Last edited:
I took this video Friday afternoon.

What do you think?

I am bowing out on this one. Yes I have Marans and Maran crosses but I am not familiar at all with this particular cross. I have saw frosting several times on both pullets and cockerels during their juvenile molts. It has only lasted for about 3 weeks and was molted out :confused:.
DSCN0470.JPG
DSCN0349.JPG

Back
Top Bottom