That heat is just terrible - I am so sorry you lost some to the heat :( :hugs :hugs :hugs

Do you have a bit of extra freezer space? If so, take a 1 liter or 2 liter soda bottle - fill it mostly full and squeeze it a bit, then cap and put in the freezer (squeezing it gives it space for the water to expand as it freezes, so the bottle doesn't split.). Wrap it in an old hand towel or such, place in a paper bag, and partially bury in a shaded spot in the run or coop. The hand towel is to help insulate it a bit and to also help absorb 'sweating' (though, with your dry heat, it may not 'sweat' as there is little moisture in the air to condense on it) and the paper bag is to keep it clean so once melted, you can take it out of the bag (and towel) and refreeze.

If you are able to do a couple of these, you can set a few up in an area - and create a cool space for them.
I will try this and put it to work tomorrow. Thanks
Sorry to hear about your losses and the terrible heat you are experiencing. I know you are doing all you can for your beloved pets.
Thanks very much.

Flockservation
Interesting observation on Hattie.

She has been fine sleeping alone in the nest box of the Cluckle Hut. Once Phyllis started sleeping in the main coop after she was hurt. Prior to that Phyllis had roosted in the Cluckle Hut with Hattie.

Since Phyllis passed Hattie has been sleeping in the main coop again, and roosting. Aurora is still nasty to her at bedtime But Hattie has been dealing with it.

Back
Top Bottom