Late autumn for some reason we get at least two owl couples in the trees next to the house. They make quite a racket and you can hear them catching mice and rats.
I like my sleep and invested in some ear plugs and sleep with them in my ears. They give a 30dB reduction and are very comfortable.

Im an ear plugs fan too and u better bet when my littles can fend for themselves without breaking Everything in the house ill be putn some to work!

Im an ear plugs fan too and u better bet when my littles can fend for themselves without breaking Everything in the house ill be putn some to work!
I wear ear plugs to do most anything... it is very important to protect your ears! Ringing in the ears is no fun!! Believe me :(...

I like to hear everyone in the morning though, and if there are any alarm calls. Interestingly when I got in last night at shortly after midnight and was doing a check and locking the doors, Roostie was out when I pulled up and having midnight snacks... I had to shove his large chicken butt back into the roosting box with the girls before I could lock them in.

I like to hear everyone in the morning though, and if there are any alarm calls. Interestingly when I got in last night at shortly after midnight and was doing a check and locking the doors, Roostie was out when I pulled up and having midnight snacks... I had to shove his large chicken butt back into the roosting box with the girls before I could lock them in.
The ear plugs I use don't cancel sound, they just reduce the volume. Maybe it's just me but I still hear when something is wrong. 30 decibell reduction is just enough to push otherwise irritating noised into the background.

I was almost in tears. I could not take another loss right now. She has scared me to the core.
It's all over hours ago now, but I'm so glad she's ok. In your earlier post about Sansa flying the pool you said you were expecting a heart attack today, but who knew it would be Hattie!

It's all over hours ago now, but I'm so glad she's ok. In your earlier post about Sansa flying the pool you said you were expecting a heart attack today, but who knew it would be Hattie!

That could be it... “look at all those young girls flying around and taking our Rooster’s attention, I’ll show him! I’m going to hide over here and make him search for me to get his attention back... (insert evil chicken laughter here)”

I just had a little scare as well, finally got Barney and Sammy moved, and was chasing the one last idiot cockerel around the tractor trying to get him back to safety with the rest, when the alarm started up... the small hawk is back too! It dove in front of Barney’s tractor and sat on the ground about three feet from it near our pile of roofing trusses. It was after the little birds (junkos I think?) but still put quite the scare into the chickens, and me!

Little brat. I assumed it would be the littles. Silly me.

I did check the brush pile. I even pushed around it with my foot to try and flush her out if she was in there. Nary a sound did she make. She has to have a nest in there, otherwise the mealy worms should have brought her.

Queen of the Brush Pile

Every so often the ladies become obsessed with the brush pile. I don't know if the bugs get active or what. Hattie's obsession started Sunday morning. At the time I thought Aurora was more interested than Hattie. You can see her climb up at Hattie came down.

So I thought to look there today but I just couldn't flush her out. Bad Girl!

I just could not believe that this happened while I was right there. She is very sneaky.

Integration Day 3

Today was pretty calm over all. Aurora continues to go by every so often and flush. them. No solid connections today. One crazy run where she tried to catch them all in turn and got none. It is good to be pullet fast!

Hattie ignores them (and then goes and hides :rant).

Lilly chased them once today. I think she did connect.

I added another waterer today in the side yard away from the prefab coop. Aurora was drinking their water at their coop and there was a lot of conflict there. Now no one has to go into the cramped coop space to drink any longer. That seems to have helped.

Watching the Newbies, Phyllis does not have issues when it is just the three of them. I do think that some of the conflict with Sansa is from Phyllis trying to see. She raises her head high and Sansa interprets it as a fighting stance. Once Sansa grows up and is bigger than Phyllis this may lessen.

Sansa also ate out of my hand today for the first time in a while. That was sweet. She is settling in nicely. :love

Still 2 distinct flocks. I think the littles are going to need to grow a little more before they start living together. They are still quite a bit smaller.

Little brat. I assumed it would be the littles. Silly me.

I did check the brush pile. I even pushed around it with my foot to try and flush her out if she was in there. Nary a sound did she make. She has to have a nest in there, otherwise the mealy worms should have brought her.

I walked right past Charlie’s garden nest when I was looking for her. You wouldn’t think a big black chook could hide so well in a garden, but she can!

Back
Top Bottom