So dust bath do not get rid of parasites? What is its purpose in your mind?
Having watched many many different species rolling and wallowing, it is likely that the dirt absorbs oils that accumulates on the skin, hair and feathers.

Also the dirt would dry creating an inhospitable environment for molds and fungi, for instance ring-worm isn't a worm but a fungal infection also called rain-rot in horses. But humans can also get ring-worm (fungal infection) in the form of athletes foot, jock itch and the like.

By rolling / dust bathing, the dirt absorbing oils and creates a drying effect.

This drying effect also helps to keep fur and feathers dry and fluffy and insulating against cold and wet.

That's my thoughts for what it's worth.

It could also just be that it feels darn tootin good and has no real practical reason. Just because a species does something doesn't mean it has to have any more reason than to feel good, be part of a social activity (like drinking booze haha), and the chicken equivalent of a party!

Have been getting interesting eggs this past week, all from my two youngsters I am betting.

After the soft egg the other day, today I found a partly soft egg today in the alleyway, it was even still warm! When I picked it up it seemed to have this extremely thin hard coating that was very fragile and crackled when I picked it up.

But this coating wasn't all over the soft membrane and the blunt end didn't have any coating and one can clearly see the yolk. It is truly amazing to behold.

It's perfectly shaped, and for all intents and purposes a fully formed egg.

Fair enough. But cows🐮 have feelings, too.🐄
:oops: I'll slink away now...:smack
The way cows advertise for people to eat chicken I never feel sorry eating them.

1646266688998.png

Back
Top Bottom