Well, lets put it this way:

Most non-expensive vehicles don't handle as well for that kind of speed....so, of course it is mostly (not completely) the expensive cars that go 'zoom, zoom...this is MY road'

Unfortunately, it can just be 1-5% of the people that are that audacious, but they are the ones you remember because they give you heart failure when they do something stupid, and it is up to YOU to react to make sure nothing bad happens.

That said, there was a study done once (technically not scientifically sound as it wasn't random sampling...they did 'convenience sampling' and selected just 3 intersections that were convenient to the researchers) It was close to 93% of the drivers that dis-obeyed traffic lights, crossed double yellow lines, and cut people off (in view of the researchers) were in high-end, modern vehicles. They also determined that a very high percentage (I don't remember that amount, but it was somewhere above 3/4) of the drivers that were 'extra courteous (described as allowing other vehicles to go when they didn't need to - such as waiving a left hand turner through when light turned from red to green, as opposed to charging through intersection instant light changed) were in older, visibly well used cars of 'general status' (such as Cheverolets, Fords, etc....NOT Lincolns, Mercedes, Cadillacs, etc.)

The researchers (out of Western New England College - a local school who has a well reputed polling arm - called it ego-driving. The ones who had higher status socially felt they had more 'rights' than others in all areas, including the roads. They had reached this conclusion based on their unscientific data and other cited research articles that looked at socio-economic status and general attitudes.

While not completely reliable imo, as there wasn't true random/cluster sampling done, all other aspects were in following with statistical guidelines. [The 3 individuals who carried out the actual research were students @ Western New England, and none had cars, so they had to choose high traffic intersections that had good visibility in all 4 directions from intersection ( for recording purposes, to be sure captured car make, etc), AND had to be within reasonable walking distance of the campus.]

So, again, not totally legit statistically, but the findings were far and away statistically significant in terms of differences in behavior, on average, between expensive vs non-expensive cars. I would want to see the study replicated to be totally convinced...but data significant enough and calculations, etc. appropriat and sound, that I would also not be dismissive of the results, either. Just my two cents. (though, with inflation, my 2 cents really is no longer worth much!:lau)

Tax for Stats:

Hey, mom, where's our snacks. The other day there were lots of larvae here..and boy, were they good! How come none now? Chop, chop, get on it servant mum!View attachment 3181290

I had used a dead snap trap rat to try to catch the last marauding raccoon ( slit the dead rat's belly to enhance aroma and 'luring power'. In no time at all, fly eggs were hatching into yummy, wiggly fly larvae!
I don't take any of this personally. Ask I ask is that everyone recognize not all "expensive" car owners are jerks. Frankly, some of the most dangerous driving I see is from motorcyclists. However I freely acknowledge it is not the majority of them. I have very nearly been killed too many times to count by dangerously driven tractor trailers. Of everything on the road they have put my life in the most peril. But most tractor trailer drivers seem to be good drivers.

I drive a lot and long distance. I treasure my car and do everything I can to keep it and me safe. I believe I am curtious and some one whom others should not fear on the road. But of course that is only me and who knows maybe my personal perception is warped.

Tax
20200809_191838.jpg

So, that is a tall order, just 3. However, I think I will submit a picture of Nappie, a very good roo; one of my dear, recently departed DC boy...he was a sweetheart!:(; and one of my co-broodies, because I just love how they cooperate, and who doesn't just love chickies. (My sweet other girls, like Raven, crop girl, etc, please note this in no way is a reflection of my love for you! ❤️)

Napoleon (Nappie)
View attachment 3181304

My Sweet DC boy :hitI hope you forgive me for holding on too long, and that you have a nice harem of hens where you are now.
View attachment 3181305
And my co-broodie girls. So nice to see that the chicken world can work cooperatively! Even if our political system can't seem to!View attachment 3181300

Thank you, too, Bob. You are a wonderful host, I love to see your girls (and the others who post on here) and I can't express my gratitude enough for you and the others helping me through tough times with my chickens and rendering wonderful advise!:love

Oh, gosh, sappy me is crying again!
I'm glad you enjoy this place. You picked out wonderful photos. I am so glad you chose to spend your time here. :love

Problem solved, I think. I cleaned out the bin in the coop that Bunny and her chicks were sleeping in before they started roosting. I made a fresh new nest out of hay and moved Chiquita and her eggs into it and scooted it back against the wall. Chiquita was hiding behind it. She did not protest the move and instead of setting her down on her eggs in the new nest I placed her in front of it to see what she would do. I've never been successful before in moving a hen from her chosen nesting spot. Angry puffball ran to her eggs and settled right down. I then took some more fresh hay and fixed a spot beside the bin for Momma hen and Squirrel. I can cover the bin over so the other girls cannot disturb Chiquita. It also has enough room in it that I was able to place a water dish and food dish inside incase Chiquita needs to come off the nest and I'm not out there. I will make sure to let Chiquita out every day so she can relieve herself. If mom walks out and peeks into the coop the bin is not new, been inside for a while now. It will not arouse suspicion.
Here we have Angry Poof *her new nickname* happily settled on her eggs.
View attachment 3181360View attachment 3181365
The girls new nest spot.
View attachment 3181371
Another shot of Angry Poof. I also know if I choose to, in the future she can easily cover 3 or 4 full size eggs. I really did not expect to find Momma Hens and Squirrels much larger eggs under her today. And incase another slip-up happens, Chiquita's eggs are now marked.
View attachment 3181377
Great job! 👍

@BY Bob

I remember saying the story of Isbe and Rizo sitting together (broody) and Rizo stole Isbe’s egg, i took it from under her and gave it back to Isbe and she shoved her neck under Rizo to put the egg back. Did i ever show you the video? I hope so, it was funny!
I honestly don't know if you have shown it before but why not share it again!

PLEASE!

Well, lets put it this way:

Most non-expensive vehicles don't handle as well for that kind of speed....so, of course it is mostly (not completely) the expensive cars that go 'zoom, zoom...this is MY road'

Unfortunately, it can just be 1-5% of the people that are that audacious, but they are the ones you remember because they give you heart failure when they do something stupid, and it is up to YOU to react to make sure nothing bad happens.

That said, there was a study done once (technically not scientifically sound as it wasn't random sampling...they did 'convenience sampling' and selected just 3 intersections that were convenient to the researchers) It was close to 93% of the drivers that dis-obeyed traffic lights, crossed double yellow lines, and cut people off (in view of the researchers) were in high-end, modern vehicles. They also determined that a very high percentage (I don't remember that amount, but it was somewhere above 3/4) of the drivers that were 'extra courteous (described as allowing other vehicles to go when they didn't need to - such as waiving a left hand turner through when light turned from red to green, as opposed to charging through intersection instant light changed) were in older, visibly well used cars of 'general status' (such as Cheverolets, Fords, etc....NOT Lincolns, Mercedes, Cadillacs, etc.)

The researchers (out of Western New England College - a local school who has a well reputed polling arm - called it ego-driving. The ones who had higher status socially felt they had more 'rights' than others in all areas, including the roads. They had reached this conclusion based on their unscientific data and other cited research articles that looked at socio-economic status and general attitudes.

While not completely reliable imo, as there wasn't true random/cluster sampling done, all other aspects were in following with statistical guidelines. [The 3 individuals who carried out the actual research were students @ Western New England, and none had cars, so they had to choose high traffic intersections that had good visibility in all 4 directions from intersection ( for recording purposes, to be sure captured car make, etc), AND had to be within reasonable walking distance of the campus.]

So, again, not totally legit statistically, but the findings were far and away statistically significant in terms of differences in behavior, on average, between expensive vs non-expensive cars. I would want to see the study replicated to be totally convinced...but data significant enough and calculations, etc. appropriat and sound, that I would also not be dismissive of the results, either. Just my two cents. (though, with inflation, my 2 cents really is no longer worth much!:lau)

Tax for Stats:

Hey, mom, where's our snacks. The other day there were lots of larvae here..and boy, were they good! How come none now? Chop, chop, get on it servant mum!View attachment 3181290

I had used a dead snap trap rat to try to catch the last marauding raccoon ( slit the dead rat's belly to enhance aroma and 'luring power'. In no time at all, fly eggs were hatching into yummy, wiggly fly larvae!
Or the drivers of the older common vehicles are under insured. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom