Sorry for the distance here, but I had a really hard time even getting a picture. From what I can tell, this is a Cooper's Hawk, right?
View attachment 3181713
View attachment 3181714
I think it must have attacked yesterday. My chicks are absolutely terrified of everything right now and will hardly poke a beak outside their compound. This is the first time in 3.5 years of having chickens in the yard that we've had any kind of predator incident. I guess our luck could not last forever. :(
It's hard to tell, but it surely could be. It is rough when they won't come out. That behavior is much like mine after an attack. ☹️

Ok, for 100,000 posts, are we supposed to post ALL the birds we’ve cared for?

I’ll give it a go!

The Original Four
Margo, Bridge, Rusty and Bagheera
View attachment 3181645

Bridge - current alpha and an incredibly awesome chicken. I still tell her she’s my girl and my main squeeze when she gets jealous of the other chickens She is wonderful and I love her so much! She also has excellent eye contact and loves for me to sing to her.
View attachment 3181807
View attachment 3181735

Margo - the first alpha and amazingly cuddly chicken. Yep, a cuddly Leghorn! She and I were very close! She was full of spunk and sounded like a trumpet. She also had a magnificent comb.

View attachment 3181745

View attachment 3181747
View attachment 3181818

Bagheera - another sweetheart, and also a great cuddler. She was an amazing forager! She was also the first chicken I saw sunbathe… in my lap! Freaked me right out. 🤣 She never really molted, so her tail was often a mess.
View attachment 3181856
View attachment 3181826

Rusty - My least affectionate of the original four, but we got really close when she had egg yolk peritonitis. She was not a lap sitter, but did drag herself into my lap on the bathroom floor when she was gravely ill. Rusty was my first loss and it was very difficult. She had the sweetest little “lets go to bed/roost” call every night and would be first to turn in. She also had a special relationship with the puppy.
View attachment 3181749
View attachment 3181825

The Second Six

Ruby
- most if you know Ruby’s story. She was originally Adventure Girl, but fought a hard 3-year battle with cancer. For a period of time, she was getting daily, private free range time before I went to work in the morning. You can see her up on the hill by herself when she was Adventure Girl.
View attachment 3181805
View attachment 3181763
View attachment 3181762

Little Mill - Ruby’s best friend and a sweetheart. Her feathers are oh so soft, and she has a tendency to go broody (but then wants to kill the real, live chicks that are interfering with the imaginary ones). She has had a limp since she was a pullet and has an adorable hobble run. Here she is in broody stance. The second and third photos are just her being fabulous.
View attachment 3181721
View attachment 3181808
View attachment 3181795

Cashew - an amazing mother! I also think she has the most beautiful face of all my chickens. It cracks me up, because also has a deep, growly voice and crows! Outweighed by at least three pounds, maybe closer to four, she beat up Buttercup who pecked at a chick. Buttercup steered clear after that.
View attachment 3181799

View attachment 3181800
View attachment 3181896

Buttercup - what’s not to love about this fluff ball? She gets very jealous of the other chickens and will attack them if she thinks I’m giving them too much attention (except for Bridge). She makes the sweetest sounds when she is picked up or stroked.
View attachment 3181811
View attachment 3181812

Lucky - another top lap sitter. Loves to squat for me and has a distinctive voice (they all do). She is forgiven for giving me a corneal abrasion when I handled her during molt.
View attachment 3181847
View attachment 3181848

Roxy - such a sweet disposition and she has just a faint cluck she does all the time. She’s pretty tiny for a Wyandotte. Once she got very anemic due to bleeding intestines. We never figured out what it was, but thanks to Roxy, the flock now gets the occasional beef liver treat.
View attachment 3181851
View attachment 3181888

Cashew’s Four

Happy
Cheeks - This sweet angel only lived two weeks. Watching her interact with Cashew was precious.
View attachment 3181728
View attachment 3181727

Dorothy - such an assertive and goofy little girl! She loved to climb under my lap towel when I sat down with them. Precious. And another impressive comb.
View attachment 3181873
View attachment 3181874

Ester - the most nervous chicken I ever had, but I gained her trust during a severe winter molt. Nothing super noteworthy about her personality, but I still loved her! I’m grateful to her for being such a good patient when I learned how to tube feed.
View attachment 3181883

Minnie - she’s a bit nervous, but I believe she was attacked by a fox her first year. She is very curious, and always has her head right in the middle of whatever I am doing. 🤣
View attachment 3181897

The Babies

Sunshine
- such a bundle of love. The most affectionate chicken I’ve known who loved to sit in my lap with her head in my armpit. I hate myself for the fact that she died of a fatty liver hemorrhage at such a young age. I miss her, along with the others who have left us.
View attachment 3181902
View attachment 3181904

Flo - another assertive girl, likely to be alpha if she outlives Bridge. She likes to walk up to me and demand to be picked up. Her first night home, she got out of the brooder and was screaming her head off on the kitchen floor. I was not set up properly, as a broody was supposed to raise them. So I laid on the kitchen floor and she warmed up on my belly under my shirt. For hours.
View attachment 3181906
View attachment 3181905

Flash - a nervous, gentle soul. I think she misses Sunshine. She usually comes running to me in hopes I have a treat. The only way she likes to be handled is if I hunch over and curl my body around her. She was named for her quickness as a chick and is still fast like a flash! She is the lowest ranked, and likes to lay in hidden places. I think there must be a couple blue eggs out in the yard somewhere.
View attachment 3181913

Bob, this post took forever on my phone and I wasn’t able to find all the photos I wanted, but I hope you like it. I’m also not sure how to get all those attachments off the bottom. I think we’re stuck with them. Congratulations on 100,000 posts!
This was truly splendid. Thanks for taking the time to pull it together. Just wonderful. :love

Thank you everyone that posted pictures of your chooks, I really enjoyed looking at those going to bed yesterday and during breakfast this morning 💚. Thanks especially to those who posted stories it's so nice to get to know your friends better!
Makes me wish there was a way to put that information in the BYC profile, to have a "my flock" page.
I hope the missing will appear on this thread today !
You could do what I did with the FBA Primer and add it to your signature. I think that would work. An article like that can be constantly updated.

Queen Rosie
20220709_185737~2.jpg

Miss Alinta
20220517_130118~2.jpg

Miss Brenna
20220701_191541~2.jpg

Treats?!
20220625_194705~2.jpg

Maybe not the best photos ever, but the best on this device :)

I don't post here as much as I used to as I am too busy to really keep up these days but I know Bob knows all my girls even if they haven't featured here before.

My black Japanese bantam, Chavi, on her nest in the mondo grass.
She popped her head up when she heard me calling for her.
View attachment 3181928
Olivia, my wannabe house chicken.
She's a D'Uccle frizzle & quite the friendliest chicken I've ever owned.
View attachment 3181929

And because I know Bob loves her as much as I do, My Golden Campine, Ha'penny, sitting on her hidden nest.
View attachment 3181938
I'm so glad you included Ha'penny. All of yours are wonderful but I really love that girl. :love

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.
Honestly to me it is really an open question, I haven't enough experience and knowledge to make myself a definite opinion on what one should feed a sick chicken and whether and when it's better to try to take a more natural approach, or try to do what we feel will be good for the chicken. I find it really interesting to read all the different experiences and find out the pros and the cons. It does help to make more conscious decisions, even if the environment our chickens live in can be fairly different.
Just thinking about it, considering it, and doing your best is all any of us can do. Educating yourself makes it easier as you wind up with options maybe you never considered before.

Back
Top Bottom