Let's Free Range Together!

It looks like all of the girls were out free ranging together tonight.

View attachment 3239655

That seems right, let's count them.

View attachment 3239656

That's 7 with Phyllis on the nest makes 8. That's correct! This is exciting, more pictures.

View attachment 3239657View attachment 3239658View attachment 3239659View attachment 3239660
View attachment 3239662

Wait! There is something wrong with that last one.

View attachment 3239661

There are 8 in that photo! :eek:
So when can we start expecting the livestock guardian cat boom to start? At least for the backyard herders! I can see this catching on. A big, fluffy, flock protecting feline to deter predators. Love this, and seeing all the chooks mingling well together.

This is such a better solution!! I try to purchase straight run just for this reason - so the boys don't get 'wasted'! I wish someone was doing this in the U.S., too!

I will not buy chicken in the store; instead, I use my extra boys as roasters (just like the article says, much better flavour and texture than any store bought chicken - plus I know they were raised lovingly) and my older hens I stew/slow cook in a crock pot. And make chicken soup or use the 'now tender' meat for other dishes. I may cry when I process.....but it is because they are loved and appreciated, and I know they had a good life here. I really can't say that about store bought (plus store bought chicken is bland and mushy in texture compared to my chickens grown normally and allowed to free range as much as possible.)
I just had this same conversation with a vegetarian over dinner. We were eating sushi, and she was talking about her friend chicken farming over on Saltspring, and those poor meat birds destined for tables… so of course I asked “who?”. Oh yeah, I know him, I processed his birds at the abattoir there last year, he worked that day as well. Good birds in really nice condition for CX, looked like they had a really good life. It’s hard to explain the balance between eating meat as responsibly and ethically as you can, and the what does processing look like? “Well…” and I went through the step by step. Then we started discussing red meats. She was traumatized by a “rustic” goat processing as a child. Well, here it’s not done like that… and a less detailed discussion of that ensued. The issue is getting people to accept less “normal” meat birds and also not selectively breeding to the point of the chickens beings such “disposable” commodities. Shoving soapbox back into the closet. Oops
331DB285-041F-4BE2-8B79-0D44193F81FF.jpeg

@Marie2020 I am very happy that I was wrong 🙂 and that Tina is better. I will be following for your updates on her health. You are definitely among those on the thread that have had enough chicken bad news for the time being!!
@Ponypoor how are you feeling ?

So, I've been trying to work on improving my chicken's coexistence and haven't had much success.
( As a reminder I have two main groups who don't get along : 4 adult ex-batts and four 12 months old teenagers, plus one rooster and his free loader bantam true love Chipie who was a broody for the chicks and is hated by everyone except Théo.)

Since they all sleep in the coop, I've been locking them up together every morning in coop + run for 30 to 45 mn. Unfortunately this is not a success as the younger four just stay perched, until I open up for everyone, and the ex-batts are furious at being locked up and wait in front of the coop for the young one to come down so they can pick on them. So I'm.wondering how to change this strategy : do you think I should lock them up for a longer time ? Or should I just leave them be ?

I've also been working on improving the younger ones following me with food, the goal being to be able to lead them back to the coop. So that has worked a bit better, they now have a little bucket that they know means food and they will follow me with it, but not to the point of coming near the other chickens. They are more afraid than hungry!

One major development is that Gaston the cockerel has grown so much that he can not go through the chicken nettings anymore. My ex-batts are netted in a chicken zone of about 500m2, but the chicks and Théo and Chipie could just go through the nettings and wander anywhere. So now if I don't help Gaston to get out he's locked with the ex-batts. I thought this could be an opportunity to get them to learn to be together in a space big enough for all. Unfortunately the three other young pullets will stay with Gaston for maybe ten minutes and then they hop out and he's left on his own.
The ex-batts were not that nasty in the beginning but he's making such a fuss being afraid and jumping around that now they're beginning to be really tough on him and Léa, who's also getting quite big.

We had a sparrow hawk attack an hour ago (I spoke too soon saying those were over!). Everyone, even the group of teenagers , ran to go hide under the huge laurel tree in the middle of our chicken zone, but Gaston couldn't get inside the chicken nettings. I helped him because he was getting in a panic. Then, after the initial silence and alarm cries sequence, the ex+batts and Théo started chasing the young ones around, lots of shriek and shuffling (it's impossible to see what's going on under there) And now it's back to quiet, I'm hoping danger will force them to coexist more peacefully 😟.
Tomorrow we're going away on errands and to see my mother so we are locking them up in coop and run for half the day. They'll just have to manage. My ex-batts are so not tolerant, and Gaston is just the worst coward. I really hope it's just a phase.

Sorry for the very long post and some photos of the teens from this morning. All that rain we have been getting the last two weeks is beginning to compensate the nine months drought!

Merle
View attachment 3238674
Léa and Piou-piou
View attachment 3238675
Léa, againView attachment 3238676
Gaston flower child
View attachment 3238678
Chasing the small grass hoppers! Just like my cats when they were kittens!
View attachment 3238627
It will sort itself out with time, you basically have some little tribes forming, and once they settle the overall flock will as well. Poor Gaston. Sounds like he needs to mature quite a bit before the mature ladies will accept him. As long as no one is getting injured it isn’t too awful that they aren’t fully cohesive as a group.

View attachment 3239729
Finally caught up. I should have known better than to post mid read 🙂
Mostly this is our only news of sorts, this poor thing started showing up a few nights ago. She has a collar stuck around her middle and one arm. We are trying to gain her trust enough to remove it.
View attachment 3239731View attachment 3239733
She is gorgeous. I hope you have managed to release her from that collar.
I don't trust these stretch collars they can cause all sorts of problems. Or has someone cruel done this to her

Back
Top Bottom