Look at this, they have not done this for over a week now.
View attachment 3632124View attachment 3632126
What I should do is pack all 8 of them out to the coop and lock them in. I am not going to do that. Instead while waiting to hear from mom at the hospital I am going outside to sit. I will also probably end up holding each and every one of them for a bit.
They knew you needed some company. They read our emotions better than we think, you know. :love :love :love I agree that is what you should do, hold/pet/snuggle each and every one of them!

Hope Grandma is doing okay and didn't break anything.:hugs:hugs:hugs

OK the Spuds wanted out of the puppy pen after an hour, one flew up to the top and hung there awhile. The Bigs seemed pretty much over the "Now they're here?" interest and appeared to not care, hanging out. So I opened the gate and out they blasted!

They explored all around the pen, came into the run extension and helped me with the assembly work. They didn't want to read the instructions though
PXL_20230909_210833438.jpg

Predator skirt inspection
PXL_20230909_204943239.jpg

PXL_20230909_205126585.jpg

The Bigs just watched, see them on the right up there. Hazel did very little, but occasionally Popcorn came over and scared them through the fence. When they were inside the fence, Popcorn and Butters worked together three times to herd and then scatter them. They didn't pursue, just made them run when Popcorn would suddenly lunge. Butters just seems to enjoy standing there while a chick runs her way. So far it looks like mostly intimidation, but since this was all Day One of really sharing an area I kept an eye on them. I stepped in once when they got herded into a corner, the extension is definitely not set up with chick escape obstacle stuff, and neither is part of the main run.

Next the Spuds went beyond the extension and toured the jungle paths in a big circle, out to the Lilacs, over to the coop, and back around. Then they rested a bit where I was working after eating and drinking.
PXL_20230909_213402209.jpg

Then they set off again, this time headed right into the main run where the Bigs were! Gutsy. They were on the left, so the Spuds went to the right. Right onto the wonderful dry pile of litter. They started scratching. They found Hazel's favorite dustbath hole. One of those cheeky Spuds started to dustbathe in it!
PXL_20230909_215253590.jpg

Uh oh. Butters is about to come around the top of the doggy pool, Popcorn around the bottom. The Spuds retreated to another corner, and Popcorn charged. One went above the pool and found Butters and does a quick reverse, the other two split and zip to either side of Popcorn safely. The first got through also. Nobody even pecked. Whew!
PXL_20230909_215321910.jpg

Gotta hand it to the Spuds, they ventured back in within minutes! Popcorn and Hazel had gone out to forage a little, Butters too. So they explored the left side this time. I saw Butters coming back, so went in to observe.

The Spuds found the insulated waterer and immediately recognized the water nipple even though theirs is vertical and totally shaped differently, and this is horizontal. They pecked and pushed the silver pin and got drinks! Butters heard the waterer, came over and got a drink on the opposite side. The Littles saw her but didn't panic, they stayed, one even walked around to look at her, and Butters slowly walked by them.

I will change up the main run, give the chicks better corners, blocks and under-hides. It will level up the playing field a bit to not have the layout so familiar to the Bigs. Was not thinking the Spuds would want to go everywhere so soon. But they appeared to have a great time!

How is it chickens are so bold, such risk-takers from an early age?

Last edited:
Prayers needed everyone please.

Grandma insisted she wanted to sit out on the porch. I get her outside and before I could get the chair under her to sit down she purposefully fell. I managed to catch her to break her fall but we could not get her back up and she refused to help try. Ambulance is here and she is going to the hospital for x-rays. I will update everyone this evening when I know more.
Oh gosh. Sending hugs and prayers.

For anyone who has not had to deal with winter before, here is a way to see what cold is like:

Take a couple trays of ice cubes and put them in a large bowl and put water in the bowl to slightly covering the ice.

Stir the water and ice around a bit to make the water chilled.

Now stick you hand in that ice water and leave it there as long as you can stand.

Once you get to the point where you have to take you hand out, think about both you hands, and feet, nose cheeks and ears now being that cold. All the time for hours sometimes while you shovel snow, do chores, feed the animals.

And that is what it’s like in the winter.

😊
I’ll still take it!

Winter tax and late Thirsty Thursday

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 3
Grandma update.

After initial bloodwork and x-rays all we 100% know for sure is she has covid. They are thinking tail end of covid but covid none-the-less. She has been admitted. No broken bones thankfully. Her white blood cell count is elevated so they are doing iv antibiotics and fluids. They have to re-do her chest x-rays, potential pneumonia but they were not clear enough to determine it. She is in a isolation room and mom is coming home once all the orders are put in tonight. The er doctor told her nicely that she was staying until she regained her strength. Be that one day or 30. Mom told me she pulled him aside out of earshot. She asked him for at least 3 days and explained that her primary doctor told us she could not enter a nursing home or rehab facility until she had a mandatory 3 day hospital stay. He understands and is going to get in touch with her doctor first thing in the morning. I am here to tell you all, this was not a accidental fall. A accident would have been falling backwards. She literally let go of the railing and slung herself sideways. I do not know how I managed to grab her in time to break her fall. If I had not she would have hit her head and neck on the porch nest boxes. We tried to get her up, me, mom and dad. She is 300lbs and was not offering to help at all. Thought we could lift her right up. She was also very uncooperative with the emts. They had to call a 2nd ambulance to have them assist getting her up and onto a stretcher. God forgive me for thinking and feeling this, but I am praying this is it and she is finally admitted to a nursing home. I cannot even begin to express the feeling of relief just knowing that for tonight she is not coming home.

Chick update!

So I went back to TSC early today. They had sold all the Lavender Orpingtons. ☹️

So I went home and called all the other TSCs within a 90 minute drive. Found one about an hour away that said they still had them. So hopped in the car and started driving while I called my TSC to see if the still had at least 2-3 Wyandottes and to ask if they would let me get less than the usual minimum of 4, since I would be getting some LOs at the other store. They said that was fine and they would put 4 aside for me to choose from.

Called the store that said they had the LOs to let them know I was on my way and to see if they would also let me get just 2-3 and if they would hold them for me. Got connected to a different person who told me she sold all the LOs yesterday. I was so upset, especially since the first person I talked to said they still had a lot of them. Tried a few other sources but no luck. There is still a chance one of the TSCs will get some when they get their last shipment this week, but no guarantees.

I decided to go ahead and get the Wyandottes. Glad I had convinced them to hold a few as someone was there buying all the others when I arrived. They are supposed to be Blue Laced Gold Wyandottes. But they don’t all look the same. There is a chance some could be Blue Laced Red, but I really hope they are all Blue Laced Gold.

Pictures!

IMG_5876.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

IMG_5888.jpeg

IMG_5889.jpeg

IMG_5895.jpeg

IMG_5901.jpeg

And a first fluffy butt pic for one of them.
IMG_5886.jpeg

Chick update!

So I went back to TSC early today. They had sold all the Lavender Orpingtons. ☹️

So I went home and called all the other TSCs within a 90 minute drive. Found one about an hour away that said they still had them. So hopped in the car and started driving while I called my TSC to see if the still had at least 2-3 Wyandottes and to ask if they would let me get less than the usual minimum of 4, since I would be getting some LOs at the other store. They said that was fine and they would put 4 aside for me to choose from.

Called the store that said they had the LOs to let them know I was on my way and to see if they would also let me get just 2-3 and if they would hold them for me. Got connected to a different person who told me she sold all the LOs yesterday. I was so upset, especially since the first person I talked to said they still had a lot of them. Tried a few other sources but no luck. There is still a chance one of the TSCs will get some when they get their last shipment this week, but no guarantees.

I decided to go ahead and get the Wyandottes. Glad I had convinced them to hold a few as someone was there buying all the others when I arrived. They are supposed to be Blue Laced Gold Wyandottes. But they don’t all look the same. There is a chance some could be Blue Laced Red, but I really hope they are all Blue Laced Gold.

Pictures!

View attachment 3632292

View attachment 3632293

View attachment 3632294

View attachment 3632295

View attachment 3632296

View attachment 3632297

View attachment 3632298

View attachment 3632299
We ended up with the wrong Wyandottes when we bought our blue laced ones.

Chick update!

Pictures!

View attachment 3632292

View attachment 3632293

View attachment 3632294

View attachment 3632295

View attachment 3632296

View attachment 3632297

View attachment 3632298

View attachment 3632299
Awwwwwww! :love They're adorable!

Blue, black, splash: keep in mind they all link together. Based upon down color, at least 2 will be blue. You may end up with a black laced or a splash laced. It comes from the same genetics. I'm very interested in watching their feather development.

Enjoy the sweeties

Back
Top Bottom