It’s Sir Jaffar’s decision, if he chooses to stay with the girls in the coop tonight, then it’s okay by me.
But if he refuses to go inside with the rest of them, then I take that as a decision to be in the house with me. There’s no problem with his feathering, he’s not naked except for his neck. I’m giving them 30 minutes to decide.
It really is sad to see them run away from me when I reach out to touch them. Usually, they would be by my side, under my chair or in my lap at this point. :hit
Misty is so sad looking, but her feathers have finally started to grow back. I hope the others who haven’t started don’t moult now. It’s really way too late now, snow will be here soon 😢

Last edited:
Just going by behavior, Popcorn here is the same. She is molting pretty hard and is not out and about as usual, she comes out to eat and drink and otherwise spends a whole lot of time in the coop resting. I’ve checked her and don’t see anything visibly wrong. The weather up until a day ago was reasonably fine but everyone has been staying in the runs acting like it is winter. The Buckeyes barely go out foraging under the netting, only once a day for a brief time late in the day. The Spuds are following their lead and go out then too, and everyone comes out when I’m out under the netting, but not much otherwise. Hazel won’t go out by herself, and Popcorn’s not into it.
So many sad emojis…yes too bad, but an interesting dynamic. Maybe I should explain. Hazel is top hen now and yet she’s timid, she’s not really a leader that way, at least not yet. Popcorn has gone out foraging and Hazel will go with her, normally that’s what happens, and the Spuds have then gone out with them too. But Popcorn’s not into it right now because she’s molting so heavily. I think Hazel has started a molt also.

What’s sad for me is this all hinges on Popcorn now because both Peanut and Butters are gone, and passed in pretty quick succession. Peanut and Butters, #1 and #3, were great foragers and steady hands in personality. So the remaining two have each other but it must be kind of lonely and really different. :( .

It would be nice if, once the Spuds start laying, they might be more accepted and hang out with them more closely. :fl

Yes, I’m still alive. Lol

I am 800 pages behind, not sure I will ever catch up.
Are you signed up for the synopsis?
It sad that things have to be withheld from a medical professional that is supposed to be there to protect and support your flock 😟
Funny. I think my vet would have more of an attitude that was to make sure I am informed and then it is my choice.
She even advised against using State lab for necropsy if I suspected AI.
It really is a terrible thing that we all avoid sharing vital information with professionals because of what they might be compelled to do.
Me too now. It’s the serving two masters issue. RC your vet sounds great.

Bedtime pics.
20231101_191004.jpg
Soft and fluffy hen with a nice full crop
20231101_191012.jpg
Roosting with the teenagers is preferable to getting a crop check I guess. No pecking my hand today at least.
Not sure which photo contest to submit that sky and snow picture to 🤷
Our power came back on while we were at the store thankfully. There are currently 200 crews working to restore it to my whole area. These wet snows before the leaves all drop are awful for taking down branches and power lines.

Attachments

• 20231101_191004.jpg
    20231101_191004.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 1
Bedtime pics.
View attachment 3673919
Soft and fluffy hen with a nice full crop
View attachment 3673920
Roosting with the teenagers is preferable to getting a crop check I guess. No pecking my hand today at least.
Not sure which photo contest to submit that sky and snow picture to 🤷
Our power came back on while we were at the store thankfully. There are currently 200 crews working to restore it to my whole area. These wet snows before the leaves all drop are awful for taking down branches and power lines.
They are so lovely 💕❤️ You have a lovely flock there 🥰

Here is the link to the photos contest, being Fall yours will qualify 😊❤️

Thread 'BYC's 2023 Spooktacular Halloween Hatch-Along—Fall Fun Photo Contest'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-hatch-along—fall-fun-photo-contest.1599117/

Pumpkin Time

Eve was here over the weekend and we carved her first jack-o-lantern. The chickens enjoyed it as much as she did!

View attachment 3673298View attachment 3673299View attachment 3673300View attachment 3673301View attachment 3673302
OMG! Eve is getting so big! And her face - it no longer looks like a toddler's face - but is looking more like a pre-teen face!!! (I know, she isn't a pre-teen yet - not trying to rush it - but gosh her face has matured so much!!! 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰

And just love the picture of Hattie with the pumpkin seed in her mouth!:love

She is looking like she has most of her feathers back...but they haven't finished growing all the way out yet. Soon she will be back to her fully fluffed out self, with her beautiful smokey grey, rich, color.

I do hope it isn't a 'true' smokey grey....🤔and she has been refraining from enjoying smoking breaks with her construction worker buddies!:lau

Last edited:
Thanks for asking about Cesario, @ManueB . I am feeling a bit down about his situation. Whenever there is something wrong with one the chickens, I feel ill-equipped to deal with it, but luckily they have mostly been healthy.

Cesario was okay overnight in the crate, but was in a panic the next morning. When I came to give him the special healing foods I prepared for him, he was so scared. I opened the door just enough to put the bowl inside and he flapped his way out of the crate and hobbled off, bokking loudly. I decided not to try that again as he was so miserable in the crate and was pacing which can't be that great mentally or physically. He wants to be with the pullets and so I have just let him do that as he is calm and the girls are confined to the run when I am at work., so they don't travel all that far.

He has always been wary around me, but us grabbing him and bringing him in the house and soaking his foot has put him over the edge and he doesn't trust us now. :(

We tried to give him an anti-inflammatory pain medication today, but could not catch him with two of us trying. I decided that all his panicking and scrabbling around was probably worse for his leg, so we will get him off the roost and pop a pill in his beak in the dark tonight.
But you’re gaining experience which really counts. You’re doing pretty well, you’re observing what is working and what isn’t, and adjusting. That’s really the key to it all. The chickens will learn and adjust too, and temporary freak outs aren’t permanent. They have some kind of built-in risk tolerance that amazes me. You can regain his trust by spending calm times with him, on his terms, where he feels safe, and with some goodies you provide.

The crate idea is to limit his movement, so if he’s not moving much in the run that sounds fine. He is breeding the hens? That might be hard on his leg.

If you do need to crate someone - and if someone gets seriously injured that is a possibility - bring in a friend or two with them for companionship. It helps them deal with the new environment to have that. I brought all three Spuds in the dog crate because they had always, always, been together and it’s just a good comfort to keep that going. And you know now that if it’s going to be ridiculous trying to catch them during the day, do it at night.

Onward! The chickens don’t give up, so don’t you give up either!

But you’re gaining experience which really counts. You’re doing pretty well, you’re observing what is working and what isn’t, and adjusting. That’s really the key to it all. The chickens will learn and adjust too, and temporary freak outs aren’t permanent. They have some kind of built-in risk tolerance that amazes me. You can regain his trust by spending calm times with him, on his terms, where he feels safe, and with some goodies you provide.

The crate idea is to limit his movement, so if he’s not moving much in the run that sounds fine. He is breeding the hens? That might be hard on his leg.

If you do need to crate someone - and if someone gets seriously injured that is a possibility - bring in a friend or two with them for companionship. It helps them deal with the new environment to have that. I brought all three Spuds in the dog crate because they had always, always, been together and it’s just a good comfort to keep that going. And you know now that if it’s going to be ridiculous trying to catch them during the day, do it at night.

:goodpost:

Thanks @ChicoryBlue. You always have such compassionate and thoughtful replies.

You are correct that I will regain his trust over time by just quietly spending time with him once he is feeling better.

He is six months old today and does not breed the hens yet, but he has been breeding the pullets. It's really quite calm. No chasing or drama. He's a sweet guy who really likes the pullets and they like him.

His recent breeding attempts are not successful in that he usually falls off the side of the pullet due to his leg, but he doesn't try this often. I have only witnessed this in the evening a few times.

We will try some anti-inflammatory/pain medication tonight and see if that helps.

I do have a small coop along the lines of the Cluckle Hut that I could put him in if need be and I could leave a friend with him, but it gets complicated because there's no power in that coop and the water will freeze. I will keep that as an option for the future. I could manage an extension cord if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom