It’s Sir Jaffar’s decision, if he chooses to stay with the girls in the coop tonight, then it’s okay by me.
But if he refuses to go inside with the rest of them, then I take that as a decision to be in the house with me. There’s no problem with his feathering, he’s not naked except for his neck. I’m giving them 30 minutes to decide.
It really is sad to see them run away from me when I reach out to touch them. Usually, they would be by my side, under my chair or in my lap at this point. :hit
They don’t mean it personally, you know! It’s because their skin must feel so sensitive. They wouldn’t even be near enough for you to think of touching them, if they didn’t like and love you. :hugs

Thanks for asking about Cesario, @ManueB . I am feeling a bit down about his situation. Whenever there is something wrong with one the chickens, I feel ill-equipped to deal with it, but luckily they have mostly been healthy.

Cesario was okay overnight in the crate, but was in a panic the next morning. When I came to give him the special healing foods I prepared for him, he was so scared. I opened the door just enough to put the bowl inside and he flapped his way out of the crate and hobbled off, bokking loudly. I decided not to try that again as he was so miserable in the crate and was pacing which can't be that great mentally or physically. He wants to be with the pullets and so I have just let him do that as he is calm and the girls are confined to the run when I am at work., so they don't travel all that far.

He has always been wary around me, but us grabbing him and bringing him in the house and soaking his foot has put him over the edge and he doesn't trust us now. :(

We tried to give him an anti-inflammatory pain medication today, but could not catch him with two of us trying. I decided that all his panicking and scrabbling around was probably worse for his leg, so we will get him off the roost and pop a pill in his beak in the dark tonight.
It is never easy. Medicine while on the roost is way easier than trying to catch them for certain and much less stressful for the chicken.

Last edited:
I could do with some reassurance, advice and comforting words about Sylvie.
She is no longer broody. I think she realized she wasn't very good at it and gave up. I am certain she is not broody. She is off the nest all day and is not making that bok-bok-bok sound continuously.
But, she is still sleeping in the nest box. And now that she isn't broody, she is also pooping in the nest (which worries me as she might get a messy bum which is not great in this weather).
First I thought she was just coming out of being broody and was in the habit so I let it slide.
Then I thought I would take her off the nest in the night and put her on a roost. But she raced out as soon as I reached for her and ended up at the far end of the Pentagonists roost and she looked miserable all night.
This evening I flushed her out and blocked the entrance to the nest boxes - but she pushed over my barrier and is back in the nest box.

The issue is her BFF, Piglet.

Piglet is being really mean to her. Ever since she went broody Piglet has been gunning for her. I posted before that they were all being a bit mean to Sylvie while she was broody but now it seems Piglet has a real grudge against her.
I feel so bad for Sylvie - she is really below the bottom of the pecking order now.

So what to do? Should I let the nest box sleeping slide and just hope she doesn't get really messy. I don't relish trying to bathe Sylvie - she is flighty and fast and as you have seen she can fly!
I would like to put her on a roost next to Babs who won't be so mean to her - but she is impossible to catch from the nest box at night because she can either see in the dark or knows her way around that she feels confident shooting out of the box in the dark.
I am traveling again next week so I will have to let it be for a week but I am feeling anxious about the whole thing as well as upset at Piglet for being so mean!
I have given up on nest box sleeping. I just let them sleep there if they want to. No one gets a poopy butt because of it. Any eggs get messy but it hasn't caused but messes.

There is certainly nothing you can do about the pecking order. Avert your eyes and only intervene if they get cornered somehow or blood is drawn.

It's not easy but Phyllis went through the same thing after the first time she went broody. She is dishing it out these days.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking about Cesario, @ManueB . I am feeling a bit down about his situation. Whenever there is something wrong with one the chickens, I feel ill-equipped to deal with it, but luckily they have mostly been healthy.

Cesario was okay overnight in the crate, but was in a panic the next morning. When I came to give him the special healing foods I prepared for him, he was so scared. I opened the door just enough to put the bowl inside and he flapped his way out of the crate and hobbled off, bokking loudly. I decided not to try that again as he was so miserable in the crate and was pacing which can't be that great mentally or physically. He wants to be with the pullets and so I have just let him do that as he is calm and the girls are confined to the run when I am at work., so they don't travel all that far.

He has always been wary around me, but us grabbing him and bringing him in the house and soaking his foot has put him over the edge and he doesn't trust us now. :(

We tried to give him an anti-inflammatory pain medication today, but could not catch him with two of us trying. I decided that all his panicking and scrabbling around was probably worse for his leg, so we will get him off the roost and pop a pill in his beak in the dark tonight.
I can totally relate to that feeling, trying to do things to help and it doesn't work out like it's supposed to, and like people tell you. I also tend most of my chickens once they are on the roost now, although it's not something I like, because about half of them are too skittish to handle without drama during the day. Also, for the foot or leg, if you do things like bandages or even anti-inflammatory medicine for a chicken that isn't crated, I feel like doing it just before they will have a ten hour rest is probably more helpful and productive than during the day when they will go scrambling about putting weight on it again.
He is young and otherwise healthy, and I think that will help his chances of recovery. When we crated Théo for his leg, we ended up taking him out of the flock, because he was completely freaking out seeing his hens and not being able to get to them. Then he was utterly depressed. It was horrible for him and for us. In the end it did help him recover though the first time we put him back outside too early and he ended up hurting himself getting in a fight with Gaston. It's so difficult to know what is the right thing to do.
I could do with some reassurance, advice and comforting words about Sylvie.
She is no longer broody. I think she realized she wasn't very good at it and gave up. I am certain she is not broody. She is off the nest all day and is not making that bok-bok-bok sound continuously.
But, she is still sleeping in the nest box. And now that she isn't broody, she is also pooping in the nest (which worries me as she might get a messy bum which is not great in this weather).
First I thought she was just coming out of being broody and was in the habit so I let it slide.
Then I thought I would take her off the nest in the night and put her on a roost. But she raced out as soon as I reached for her and ended up at the far end of the Pentagonists roost and she looked miserable all night.
This evening I flushed her out and blocked the entrance to the nest boxes - but she pushed over my barrier and is back in the nest box.

The issue is her BFF, Piglet.

Piglet is being really mean to her. Ever since she went broody Piglet has been gunning for her. I posted before that they were all being a bit mean to Sylvie while she was broody but now it seems Piglet has a real grudge against her.
I feel so bad for Sylvie - she is really below the bottom of the pecking order now.

So what to do? Should I let the nest box sleeping slide and just hope she doesn't get really messy. I don't relish trying to bathe Sylvie - she is flighty and fast and as you have seen she can fly!
I would like to put her on a roost next to Babs who won't be so mean to her - but she is impossible to catch from the nest box at night because she can either see in the dark or knows her way around that she feels confident shooting out of the box in the dark.
I am traveling again next week so I will have to let it be for a week but I am feeling anxious about the whole thing as well as upset at Piglet for being so mean!
I seem to remember you had put a block in your nest for a chicken to roost on so that she wouldn't be soaked in poop ? Not sure I remember right.
I think the broody thing when they are young really messes their hormones, and when they get out of it, it's like they have a hangover or getting out of a drug trip. They don't know what they should be doing with themselves.
And they can be really hard on one another. I also worry for them even though I know it is the chicken way. I think it is likely a transitory situation for yours. If it lasts after you are back, maybe think in terms of your set up. Is Sylvie feeling the nest is the only safe place away from Piglet ?
Good evening everyone. How is everyone and their chickens? I have a lot of health issues and drs. but the chooks are fine!
Hello ! Glad to have news, but sorry you are still having issues. Hope you get some respite !

Poor Grandma. Last year she passed out candy to trick or treaters and her owner really wanted to bring her out for trick or treating again but the other owner said no. Grandma was a lucky chicken for staying past her bedtime for nothing but children wearing costumes, talking and grabbing candy.
She had her costume ready for nothing.
IMG_0452.JPG

Back
Top Bottom