Cannot wait for new pictures. I hate to bring up the past but, am I correct in thinking that young Floyd was one of the more gentle of your boys? Even with crazy Marty as a momma I do not remember horror stories from him. A Silkie x Polish cross really might make a well mannered roo.
Well Floyd did pick a fight with Mr P who tromped him one. After that he stayed away from Mr P.

He was better mannered around the girls.

Awwww - Sultan??? I love baby chicks! ❤️ 🐤
Polish x Silkie babies, same Dada, different Mamas.

Mr P
517F207E-AC93-4536-B0C0-0640F2CC2100.jpeg

Curly
BA877713-FE53-42D7-BE63-3A380714F018.jpeg

Fluffy
78CBE44A-4738-4578-8342-C6A390816328.jpeg

Most everyone here in Canada hates winter, we live for May 2 4 weekend 😁

May 2023
View attachment 3695006
I don't think that is necessarily true in northern Canada. I think it's because we like to play in the snow: skiing, fat biking, sledding, skating. It's all great! We do like to talk (complain?) about the weather a lot though. Right now there's not enough snow and all the skiers are getting antsy and it's very icy as well.

Goneril doesn't mind the snow. I have seen her walk in snow up to her belly.
IMG_20231111_141833251_HDR.jpg

Well Floyd did pick a fight with Mr P who tromped him one. After that he stayed away from Mr P.

He was better mannered around the girls.
Frequently that's all it takes is 1 trouncing. Sometimes from the papa and sometimes from the littlest lady (*cough*cough Twirp *cough *cough). With only the 1 boy, poor Bert won't be able to get away with much. Mr P AND 20 some odd adult (or mostly adult) ladies will be watching him closely....and thump him when he gets fresh. I think he's going to be a good boy.

Awww so cute!! I love them no madder what breed/mix of breeds they are. In fact my chickens are all mixed together. So many different crosses!! I call most of mine " The mutt chickens "! lol 😂😂
Same here - barnyard mutts.

The mama hen raising them is my satin silkie Henny Penny. She was bound and determined to be a mama - even if it’s winter.

I am super fortunate that I have a nice snug barn they can roam in and grow up all winter. This is the second brood Henny has raised - the first ones she also raised in late autumn / winter. Crazy hen!

I don't think that is necessarily true in northern Canada. I think it's because we like to play in the snow: skiing, fat biking, sledding, skating. It's all great! We do like to talk (complain?) about the weather a lot though. Right now there's not enough snow and all the skiers are getting antsy and it's very icy as well.

Goneril doesn't mind the snow. I have seen her walk in snow up to her belly.
View attachment 3695970
Oh it’s beautiful but if I had my druthers I would live someplace warm. I really suffer in the cold, I can’t stay warm my hands and feet are always freezing cold, my bones ache terribly 😟 I am more a desert creature haha! I can do hot fairly good, but cold not so much.

Though I do feel for my chooks in the summer- and I make sure they have their fans running. Same with the horses, but they are good with cold and dry or hot and dry, they hate the wet, horses are plains animals and as long as it’s dry they can do hot or cold. I have seen horses in Fort Mc out in -46C no problems, but in the Spring when it rains they are all huddled in the shelters haha!

Last edited:
Got another egg today that looks like first egg size. Not sure who's egg.
20231201_171317.jpg
I'm not sure who's laying that bronze egg, either.

And Cardhu was checking out the nest boxes when I got home and closed the coop. (Girl, it's a mite late to be laying eggs, but by all means investigate them all...and properly lay in the coop, not out in the wilds like your mama and egg donor: Storm, Pear👀I'm looking at you)

Back
Top Bottom