Depends on the cockerel! I have some that are 4-5 months old with 1-1.5 in spurs, and some the same age with 'buttons' just a wee bit smaller than your guy's. Generally you have 'noticeable' spurs by 6-8 months, depending on the breed (faster versus slower growing breeds - aka, hybrids versus Jersey Giants) But, even given the same breed, and same general stock (i.e. from same place), there is still variability.
Oh, okay. Thanks!

I would have a hard time resting with fox around like that. I know you have the electric fence and a bullet proof coop complex but they would still keep me on edge.
Oh I don't like it at all - but don't know what else I can do. The ladies so love being out and about that I cannot imagine confining them. I try and make myself pretty visible when they are out and as dusk comes I am always out there.
It is a risk I know. Also hawks are a risk. But when I see how happy the girls are digging around then I believe I have to take the risk.

20230124_153629.jpg
What. A. Photo!

Raising the Roof
The roof on the Hattie house is not solid. It is made from wire mesh covered by a piece of tarp. No one is living there so all I want is to keep it dry. It looks like this when viewed from the bottom.

View attachment 3701921

I was checking on the ladies today and I noticed moisture in the coop portion. I pulled the tray out and found this.

View attachment 3701926

Éowyn has been hanging out on the roof and I figure her nails have poked holes in the tarp.

View attachment 3701932

There is a huge rain storm coming tomorrow so I figured I should act quickly. The one thing I really don't want is Hattie House rotting away. I searched what was on hand and I have the pieces of metal left over from the coop roof. So I decided to use 2 of them over lapped. I didn't really have time to trim them up so there is now an overhang on the front. That should help with rain hitting the front anyway.

View attachment 3701929

View attachment 3701927

It was a petty easy fix.

Surprisingly the lack of a roof did not deter the ladies from using the Hattie house today.

View attachment 3701928

View attachment 3701930
That looks really lovely, I like it!

Sounds like the song Lunch With Gina (by Steely Dan), here's the best of the relevant verses --
That must be her again
She's leaning on my bell
That cold psychotic ring
The one I know so well
So I'm nailed to the floor in the no-option zone
There's about zero chance she'll give up and go home

Now I'm in my apartment
The blinds down the lights out
The phone rings God help me
There's nobody home
I crouch on the carpet
Not breathing just being
Like meat on the bone

But it ends well!

Hiding tax:
Sweet Anne today. Everybody was out foraging now that the snow is gone!
View attachment 3701924
View attachment 3701925
Gosh love their colour, I am constantly astonished by the colour combinations and feathers of chickens 😊💕

Attention Silkie Lovers
This Christmas decoration is on sale at tractor supply.

View attachment 3701934
Oh too bad Peavey Mart doesn’t have those 😊

But I did score 3, 4’ LED shop lights that I put on a timer so that in the morning when the chooks are up and about and I finish chores at 6am I don’t have to turn out the lights and leave them in the dark till the sun comes up at 8am.

And horse feed was 50% off 😊

I am only guessing. There are always foxes around my place and it was getting towards dusk (which is why I was out there). It didn't seem like her normal rushing around so I assume she was spooked.
It was very like Maggie (also a big gal) who once did a vertical lift off to avoid a fox that snuck up on her (and me).
So, just the usual fox everywhere! 😱 They were hopefully all inside your 250 feet?
I would have a hard time resting with fox around like that. I know you have the electric fence and a bullet proof coop complex but they would still keep me on edge.
I'm with Bob. Fox are smart and will eventually figure out how to grab and run in an instant if/when one is outside the fence. They have nothing but interest in studying the situation!

Oh too bad Peavey Mart doesn’t have those 😊

But I did score 3, 4’ LED shop lights that I put on a timer so that in the morning when the chooks are up and about and I finish chores at 6am I don’t have to turn out the lights and leave them in the dark till the sun comes up at 8am.

And horse feed was 50% off 😊
Oh hey! The timer works ! I set it for 7:30 to 8:30 😁 poor horses though, bet they were surprised when the light went on in Georgia!

1108B4C0-F0A2-43E0-A87A-74B2930ADACF.png

So, just the usual fox everywhere! 😱 They were hopefully all inside your 250 feet?

I'm with Bob. Fox are smart and will eventually figure out how to grab and run in an instant if/when one is outside the fence. They have nothing but interest in studying the situation!
I know. I hope that all the rabbits provide easier prey.
I will be particularly nervous in the snow.
Yes, everyone was inside the electric fence. I might re-bait the fence to make sure the foxes remember.

Raising the Roof
The roof on the Hattie house is not solid. It is made from wire mesh covered by a piece of tarp. No one is living there so all I want is to keep it dry. It looks like this when viewed from the bottom.

View attachment 3701921

I was checking on the ladies today and I noticed moisture in the coop portion. I pulled the tray out and found this.

View attachment 3701926

Éowyn has been hanging out on the roof and I figure her nails have poked holes in the tarp.

View attachment 3701932

There is a huge rain storm coming tomorrow so I figured I should act quickly. The one thing I really don't want is Hattie House rotting away. I searched what was on hand and I have the pieces of metal left over from the coop roof. So I decided to use 2 of them over lapped. I didn't really have time to trim them up so there is now an overhang on the front. That should help with rain hitting the front anyway.

View attachment 3701929

View attachment 3701927

It was a petty easy fix.

Surprisingly the lack of a roof did not deter the ladies from using the Hattie house today.

View attachment 3701928

View attachment 3701930
Great job, and I'm going to guess snow load won't be a problem for that overhang, it's not that big, and the metal is way stronger than plastic. It will be great for better weather protection for the side. But your tiny, very little, oh-so-delicate kitty, if she does that Cheshire Cat thing on the edge again, she might bend it....maybe think about a wood brace under there held up by shelf brackets or something? Doesn't have to be attached to both the roof and the side, just there if needed...
1702169250437.png

She says, Who, me?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom