I just can’t keep them confined all the time. They so love being out. I know I would not stick to that.
Ideas on how to increase protection have been swirling though my head all night.
In the summer I think they have a lot of cover and ironically my original plan for yesterday afternoon was to plant some forsythia cuttings for them to provide still more.
But in winter there is too much leaf loss.
I need more evergreens for them but also some strings or netting over popular areas.
I will keep them in this week because unless Bernie really managed to hurt that hawk, I am sure it will be back.
Poor chooks! :hugs Glad they are okay. I'd love to free-range mine, but we have no good cover, lots of hawks, black vultures, even eagles!
An hour ago, it was -38. Now it's -39. Staying home and not going out to the coop for at least another couple of hours. Sporadic snow yesterday. Only critters moving around outside were the magpies.
🥶 Yeah...no. Just no.

It's about 9 here. Wind chill -4. I'm going to go check on them soon, but I'm not letting them out.

Sheba was in the floor again last night. 😞 The other 3 were huddled on the top roost, Randy on top of the nest boxes, Sheba down under them on the floor. Poor baby. I hate this. I want the rooster gone asap. If my husband was physically able. He'd be in the freezer. I know it's not his fault, but Sheba was just starting to grow her feathers back from Manny.

I feel like I’m invading a private conversation, but Jaffar he no cocorico this morning. I found him off his perch in the coop. Not making a sound. I brought him inside, to check on him. He seems fine but no cocorico :idunno Now he is with Shenandoah having breakfast in the chickens room.
Update: he’s not feeling well today. His poops are not normal. He ate some feed, but I also made him some scrambled eggs and cheese. I shared with all the chooks. He’s going to need some tender loving care. Maybe it was just too cold for him in the coop last night. (He won’t tell me what’s wrong.) :(

I'd be flying some rag or better still a flag to ward off that hawk.

I particularly liked @BY Bob s flag last year
I'd suggest flying a drone, but I've been circled by birds before. They will go after it but it would be way too expensive.

A big flag with Aurora's face on it would be the scariest thing ever.

I just can’t keep them confined all the time. They so love being out. I know I would not stick to that.
Ideas on how to increase protection have been swirling though my head all night.
In the summer I think they have a lot of cover and ironically my original plan for yesterday afternoon was to plant some forsythia cuttings for them to provide still more.
But in winter there is too much leaf loss.
I need more evergreens for them but also some strings or netting over popular areas.
I will keep them in this week because unless Bernie really managed to hurt that hawk, I am sure it will be back.
Maybe grape vines will work too if you can grow them over some of their areas.

I am reminded why I called her Bernadette in the first place. The meaning has to do with being strong or a brave bear.
Bernadette - brave like a bear.
She has lived up to her name. First when she was so bold as a day old chick. Then later as she battled her leg paralysis. And now, running to attack a hawk.
So proud of you Bernie. I really hope you aren’t injured.
I think she was in the fray - I see some long feathers that are too long for Pooh but Bernie/Pooh’s coloring. Could be the hawk’s feathers which was a very similar color. Bernie’s feathers around her head were all mussed up and pointing in different directions. To me it looks like she went in pecking.
I don’t know the type of hawk - honestly initially I thought it was Bernie! @BY Bob thought the method of attack (from within a tree) sounded like a Cooper’s hawk. It must have been a juvenile - it was quite small maybe only a tad bigger than Pooh and smaller than Bernie - I assume Pooh would not have survived a strike by a successful adult hawk.
As far as I know, Bernadette means "little bear", according to my older sister (not CC).

Bernie certainly lived up to her name.

I hope you all stay hawk-free over there.

So glad they are all safe ! And sorry that after such a rough trip you had such a scare.
We have the same issue in winter. We planted evergreens but they will take a few years to grow.
We try to combine a few deterrents : stuff like pallets and small tables to hide under, string and netting in the places that are the most bare, scarecrows that we move around regularly.
I don't want to be an enabler and I'm the first to tell people to think twice about getting a rooster, but I do believe next to a trained protection dog, roosters are the most effective against hawks. No, they won't necessarily attack them, both of mine are in fact rather cowards, but they stand watch all day and will call for alarm and let both the flock and you know that there is a serious danger.

As for Calypso, I've found out some chickens are really good at hiding. They will hide in tiny dark places like a kitten could, in small holes, under hay stacks... Two of mine do this and now I don't panic if I don't find them after an attack because I know they are very hard to find. Calypso will likely do it again.
I should send a picture of the area where the Bigs like to hang out all day. There's a patio table, chairs, a piece of metal wire leaning on a tree, and a bunch of stuff that makes it hard for a hawk to land. It's a mess but it makes me have some comfort in turning my back for a few minutes.

My Bigs will make a noise to let me know if they sense something is off. If I hear it I run out, look up and around, and then if it was a false alarm (pigeon that flies real fast right over), I go in. If not I do what I can to get the thing away.

In a way I am happy about Calypso. Easy to say now she is home and I am not crawling around in the bushes.
I know she has the ability to escape and to hide. And the common sense to come home again.
I am assuming she isn’t injured but I will watch her too today.
Today everyone stays in and gets meat and walnuts as treats.
I have an idea about hoisting a netting canopy on ropes from the eaves - a bit like a sail - over their favorite hangout.
Just for the winter. When the leaves are out it is pretty dense vegetation cover which is why they like it.

Here is Sylvie in the spot she froze in. She refused to move for quite a while. And some of the feathers that mark where the battle started - it moved a good 12’ (4m) while they fought.

View attachment 3724913View attachment 3724914
We had this canopy over the Little's coop. It let the sunlight in. I have pictures somewhere on my old phone. You should get one of those.

It's warmed up about 20 degrees. It's only between -15 and -20F at the moment. Coop is restocked. Some in nests, some on roosts, some at food/water. Yesterday's eggs are frozen solid and staying there. I'll collect and dispose when they're let out. Warming up with the rest of my coffee.

Beautiful sunshiny day....means tonight will be in the icebox again unless it clouds up before sun down. If it does, it should hold some of the "warmer" temps in.

Back
Top Bottom