Well, the chickens and ducks have all been on lockdown since Tuesday bedtime. The goats have had minimal maintenance as well. We have got about a foot of snow here, but at least it has been warmer. I’m praying for rain overnight to melt it all as we made the harrowing trip from our little Island into Vancouver to rent a 20’ Uhaul box van and clean out our storage locker to finalize our move. It barely fit in… I had to disassemble some things, but we are safe home now. In my defense the snow was supposed to stop at 6am… at 4am we only had three inches. Don’t tempt fate… don’t say things like “see they totally exaggerated the storm on the news” it was apparently just running a little behind schedule. By the time the ferry docked at 9:45am there was 8-10” when we picked up the truck at 11 it was near a foot. The storage place didn’t get their lot plowed out until almost 3pm. By then we had already given up and headed to my dads for the night. I lost a full day loading, and we had a slight fender bender when the truck slid sideways and backwards into his neighbors car (thankfully a near “beater”, Early 2000’s cutlass Ciara).

5.5 hours of loading, an uneventful drive through Vancouver to the terminal and we missed the 3pm ferry by the minutes it took to etransfer the “it’s HOW much?!?” Between three different accounts to pay the commercial truck, overlength, weight rating fare. We had coffee and were on the 5pm which left 15 minutes late. I didn’t think we would even make the highway turnaround on Vancouver island for our connection, but we somehow managed it, even though the road was poorly plowed. We literally rolled into the lineup and onto the ferry without stopping. It took us well over an hour to make the usually 30 minute drive to our new home. One of our neighbors plowed most of our road with his truck… he has an excavation company and lots of big toys and “project” vehicles. We got all the way to the property edge and stopped. Will assess the driveway, shovel and unload the truck tomorrow after work at the abattoir.
Taxes are hard to provide, so these are from the farm and our previous goat pen. My “helpers” 😆
1BE49EEC-933C-4A15-BE3A-63116E0717C2.jpeg
B34D98BF-BA3B-45E6-B482-CBAD60863211.jpeg
CF7F3F33-4305-49F6-AEEF-A5CF0A418E20.jpeg

Well, the chickens and ducks have all been on lockdown since Tuesday bedtime. The goats have had minimal maintenance as well. We have got about a foot of snow here, but at least it has been warmer. I’m praying for rain overnight to melt it all as we made the harrowing trip from our little Island into Vancouver to rent a 20’ Uhaul box van and clean out our storage locker to finalize our move. It barely fit in… I had to disassemble some things, but we are safe home now. In my defense the snow was supposed to stop at 6am… at 4am we only had three inches. Don’t tempt fate… don’t say things like “see they totally exaggerated the storm on the news” it was apparently just running a little behind schedule. By the time the ferry docked at 9:45am there was 8-10” when we picked up the truck at 11 it was near a foot. The storage place didn’t get their lot plowed out until almost 3pm. By then we had already given up and headed to my dads for the night. I lost a full day loading, and we had a slight fender bender when the truck slid sideways and backwards into his neighbors car (thankfully a near “beater”, Early 2000’s cutlass Ciara).

5.5 hours of loading, an uneventful drive through Vancouver to the terminal and we missed the 3pm ferry by the minutes it took to etransfer the “it’s HOW much?!?” Between three different accounts to pay the commercial truck, overlength, weight rating fare. We had coffee and were on the 5pm which left 15 minutes late. I didn’t think we would even make the highway turnaround on Vancouver island for our connection, but we somehow managed it, even though the road was poorly plowed. We literally rolled into the lineup and onto the ferry without stopping. It took us well over an hour to make the usually 30 minute drive to our new home. One of our neighbors plowed most of our road with his truck… he has an excavation company and lots of big toys and “project” vehicles. We got all the way to the property edge and stopped. Will assess the driveway, shovel and unload the truck tomorrow after work at the abattoir.
Taxes are hard to provide, so these are from the farm and our previous goat pen. My “helpers” 😆 View attachment 3728936View attachment 3728938View attachment 3728937
Ah! Oh my the day that never ended- what an ordeal. I’m glad you’re home now, and managed to park the truck in pretty close. Yea for sure don’t tempt fate with snow storms 😑.

What do goats think of snow? Will they walk out into snow a foot deep?

Okay, so, another multi-part post. One of my specialities. Sorry it’s long, y’all!

1) Today, we toast Whiskey, who laid her first egg!
0EEC6E84-0182-4107-B79A-4A3993BD8798.jpeg

Not surprisingly, just days after her comb flopped over.
BA3300D8-CD4C-4247-B437-B8D34208A65C.jpeg

2) We are, in fact, somewhat disappointed. She is a Whiting True GREEN. Who lays a cute peachy cream egg instead. 🤦‍♀️
CE4DE7F8-3C36-4FD8-81CD-B246DF801849.jpeg

3) Perry got let out to mingle, but one little side-eye from Albert and WHAM. She’s on her favorite safe spot like white on rice. (Love and Hate this haha).
FD403489-6CDB-4CF8-8759-4AA24719C785.jpeg

4) All this talk about BOSS inspired me: the girls got the last bag of Fall leaves dumped into their extension run today, and a big fistful of sunflower seeds scattered throughout them. So fun! So busy!
BBB1FD46-BC80-4A15-95EF-250684EE6874.jpeg

5) It’s still technically Thirsty Thursday here: Dottie having a drink, after vigorous leaf sorting.
0B57C477-01B8-4366-AE96-348F029E7B24.jpeg

Taxes are hard to provide, so these are from the farm and our previous goat pen. My “helpers” 😆 View attachment 3728936View attachment 3728938View attachment 3728937
Wow. What an adventure. Glad you made it safely.
Looking forward to pictures when you get a chance.

It's just wonderful to hear from you. So glad you got to the house safely. No taxes are necessary. :hugs

What now?

There is something going on with my power in the barn, the stall lights and outlets don't work. I checked the fuses and they seem ok I pressed the reset button but they hadn't tripped I even switched a couple of them around just on the off chance one of the fuses was bad. No change the lights & outlets don't my work.

Good thing I noticed, my water trough de-icer is plugged into the outlet at that end of the barn!

So now I have a 100' extension cord running to the de-icer and another one for the waterer in the barn for the chooks. Bet those be full of chicken poop before long!

So now this evening I will need to try and troubleshoot the problem. Always something.

What now?

There is something going on with my power in the barn, the stall lights and outlets don't work. I checked the fuses and they seem ok I pressed the reset button but they hadn't tripped I even switched a couple of them around just on the off chance one of the fuses was bad. No change the lights & outlets don't my work.

Good thing I noticed, my water trough de-icer is plugged into the outlet at that end of the barn!

So now I have a 100' extension cord running to the de-icer and another one for the waterer in the barn for the chooks. Bet those be full of chicken poop before long!

So now this evening I will need to try and troubleshoot the problem. Always something.
That will not be fun. Good luck.

It is too cold for me to pull out my phone to take pictures.
Babs informed me, at a volume that could not be ignored, that I was failing in my duties because when she got up at 3am the water in the hanging waterer was frozen.
Yes, she is perfectly capable of drinking from the bucket with nipples that has a heated base, but she prefers to drink from the hanging waterer.
I tried to explain about freezing temperatures and that as soon as it is light I replace the frozen waterer with one that has been sitting in the kitchen sink all night.
She didn’t seem that interested in my excuses.
And why is she up and about at 3am anyway?!

And here for Fluffy Butt Friday are the baby Pentagonist fluffy butts. So tiny! So cute.
373F0DB6-95E7-48D5-9C21-F9E0C27DB67E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom