Mugs Monday:

Albert! Who, when she isn’t harassing Perry, is such a sweetheart 🥰
21929DF5-8E0B-4AC4-A656-7F2D78959A21.jpeg

AD32015E-BFAE-459E-A146-0BF25695B73A.jpeg

Quincy, who is losing her beard.
E3BF3027-F19B-43C0-B33F-28B608A99569.jpeg

I have started a project to improve some of the chicken’s run (aiming for raccoon proof!). It’s going slowly because I can only make progress during nap time… and because Inspector Becky has very high standards.
0C48A4FA-2A8A-4F42-881B-5C2C404625BC.jpeg

I do believe the most overlooked thing in life is water… we are still recovering from our winter snow dump and freezing temperatures, and have been experiencing some heavy rains. I haven’t been able to manage any decent chicken photos of late, as they are mostly hiding under what shelter they can manage, but I did take some yesterday of the “Water Chickens” who are thoroughly enjoying their three new streams and a small pond. I’m going to have to shore up the poultry apartment as we now have a small stream running directly under it. Nothing some jacks and blocks can’t fix I’m sure. I spent most of yesterday ditching and clearing the old ditches to drain the goat shelter. They also have a small plywood bridge so they can keep their precious hooves a little less wet.
E1A28B03-7FE1-4A41-BDF5-CF64B505FA00.jpeg
BFB2639B-1386-403A-A6E3-E36F1242C757.jpeg
0CAB8766-7A91-424C-81A2-5F5BC478764E.jpeg

Today I discussed the drainage issues with the landowners, and they are fully approving of my plans to fix the issues and the steps I took yesterday (before the goat shelter washes out!). All the chickens are doing well, and Stick (my main Drake) is finally recovering from his injuries. In other news… I am also now a proud god-parent. The young couple we donated our second story house panels, windows, and much time to last summer and fall to build out their cabin with have just welcomed their first baby to the world. I’m overjoyed, and incredibly thankful that although I didn’t achieve my goals over the last two years, I was able to help others, and we are also in a safer, warmer place (with indoor plumbing even!) ourselves. Baby Keenan
F7AF1185-6593-43BF-AE76-9B3AB123D082.jpeg

I do believe the most overlooked thing in life is water… we are still recovering from our winter snow dump and freezing temperatures, and have been experiencing some heavy rains. I haven’t been able to manage any decent chicken photos of late, as they are mostly hiding under what shelter they can manage, but I did take some yesterday of the “Water Chickens” who are thoroughly enjoying their three new streams and a small pond. I’m going to have to shore up the poultry apartment as we now have a small stream running directly under it. Nothing some jacks and blocks can’t fix I’m sure. I spent most of yesterday ditching and clearing the old ditches to drain the goat shelter. They also have a small plywood bridge so they can keep their precious hooves a little less wet.
View attachment 3736769View attachment 3736771View attachment 3736772
Today I discussed the drainage issues with the landowners, and they are fully approving of my plans to fix the issues and the steps I took yesterday (before the goat shelter washes out!). All the chickens are doing well, and Stick (my main Drake) is finally recovering from his injuries. In other news… I am also now a proud god-parent. The young couple we donated our second story house panels, windows, and much time to last summer and fall to build out their cabin with have just welcomed their first baby to the world. I’m overjoyed, and incredibly thankful that although I didn’t achieve my goals over the last two years, I was able to help others, and we are also in a safer, warmer place (with indoor plumbing even!) ourselves. Baby KeenanView attachment 3736779
Awwww a wee baby! January is a month for babies it seems and birthdays.

I am also so happy and grateful you have a decent place and it sounds like your gang is doing well. Goats - ya pretty finicky about rain! And I have heard you have plenty of it, hopefully help with the up coming fire season.

Refresh my memory, what happened to Stiick?

Last edited:
It hit 50F. Overnight was 31F (just below 0C). Forecast says similar temps all week with snow over the weekend (we need it, especially with the warmth melting it all). Turned off the heat in the coop for the week. If the storm blows in early, will turn it back on before Friday night.
Everywhere has been mild - so crazy! But the critters and I will take it!

Back
Top Bottom